Good place to start for G1 comics

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by perithimus, Jan 25, 2008.

1. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

Never really got into reading the comics for Transformers. I am wanting to start though. Where is a good place to start that has a great storyline to it?

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Some of my personal faves from the original US Marvel TF series:

Ish 1-8: full of classicness. The reasons I became a Shockwave fan too.
    Ish 12: Prime Time
    Ish 17-18: Blaster kicking names and taking ass
    Ish 47-50: Underbase saga
    Ish 62-66: Matrix Quest
    Ish 69-70: Featured one of the most unforgettable moments in the entire Marvel TF comics run
    Ish 71-80: were all pretty enjoyable. All in all, a very fitting, satisfying end to the series

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Which ones do you want to read? The old ones by Marvel, the ones by Dreamwave a few years ago, or the current ones by IDW? Each are set in their own continuity, with any similarities being owed to being based on the same toyline rather than intentional connections (in some cases, there are homages to older stories, though).

4. perithimus

I just want the best storyline. Just asking what everyone thinks would have the best storyline, art, etc.

5. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Eh?

I started with 'Legacy of Unicron'. Moving on to the 'Perchance to dream' and 'Way of the warrior' storylines, then whatever IDW reprinted as Generations. Order-schmorder.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Well, "everyone" has different opinions. Some people consider Dreamwave to be the pinnacle of Transformers comic storytelling, while others onsider them the worst thing to have ever happened to Transformers.

Of course, the problem with the Dreamwave-verse is that the storylines are unfinished, and will possibly forever remain that way.

Personally, I like the IDW G1-verse. It's still pretty new and has given us a breath of fresh air, although I'm fearing that Furman might now be returning to his old, treaded out staples.

If you want to start with the IDW stories, get Infiltration, Stormbringer and Escalation, and the Spotlights vol. 1 and vol. 2 trades. Megatron: Origin is supposedly also a part of that continuity, but people's opinions about that mini are vastly mixed (I, personally, consider it to be a huge disappointment on pretty much every level).

7. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Underbase saga rules!!! so does the follow on where they find starscream back on earth

8. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

IMO You cant really go wrong with the marvel U.K. comics (the best stories have been collected or re-printed).
    Far better & more adult than the U.S. Marvel comic.
    Worth checking out are dinobot hunt,space pirates,in the national interest & all those mentioned by dirge 121.
    Target 2006 & Time Wars are fantastic.

9. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

All of the G1 classic Marvel comics is a must.

10. perithimus

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Where is the best online place to get the new idw comics or even the dreamwave series?

11. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    The IDW trade paperback collections (aka "TPB") tend to be cheaper deals than buying individual comics, and you can order them straight from the publisher: http://store.idwpublishing.com/index.php

Dreamwave is kaput so no ordering direct there. But here are some alternative options for getting the Marvel comics, IDW, and Dreamwave comics for less:

- target.com (search for "transformers comics")
    - amazon.com
    - check the Junkion Exchange forum (search that forum for "comics") and you might find some great deals direct from members here
    - finally, check your local comic shops--many of them offer discounts up to 50% off older comics, or have $1-2 bins.

You missed the joke. And if you have to explain it, it's not funny.