Good Parenting!?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by theLostSeeker, Mar 5, 2007.

1. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

To tell you the truth, I would take a wimpy intellectual, then some degenerate.

2. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

Yes, excellent comment. I agree.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    EDIT -never mind. I lost track of who was saying what.

4. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

My View

Wow this one is still going huh. I cant see myself ever having kids because I dont think I'd be a good parent, not to mention I like the freedom of doing whatever I want and spending money on myself. However I dont think as far as the censorship that its just black and white, each child develops diffrently, some could use the sheltering, others realize things a lot quicker, I dont see the problem with the kid owning a toy nerf gun just because he's the "bad guy leader", but then again my dad use to throw away toys because he thought they were "SATANIC", he's a real religous fundamentalist nutjob, but the point is each kid is diffrent, does it seem kind of stupid for her reasoning, YES it does, but you'd hope she had the child's best interest at heart, however we have no way of knowing how/where the child's development is/was on things such as that.

5. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    As far as we know, this has nothing to do with megs being a gun. :rolleyes2 

The kid knows who and what the bad guys are. Him not owning a classics megs is in no way "Sheltering". By not owning the toy, his perception of the 'bad guys' is not going to change.

I love how people twist things around so they have something to cry about(directed at the thread in general, not just any one specific poster).

6. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

*lol at this thread* Wow, this is an awesomus discussion! I keep seeing a bunch of Decepticon, Autobots, Shockwave, Preceptor, and various other factions sittin' down havin' this discussion of what human kids should or should not have

Now, to topic. I have strong ideals about the rearing of kids, though I have none of my own and probably never will, because...

Amen. But, on the subject of whether this poor 'Jonny' couldn't have his Megs because it was a 'bad guy character', has me resentful to the parent. I understand she probably doesn't want her kids to associate more with 'the evil side', to perhaps grow up and rob a bank? But I agree with some of you here sayin' that parents can't really sugar coat the world. There is good and bad and you can't make the child see all the good because it's a perfect world. Or world is not.

There is no instruction booklet on how to raise your kids, there is no plotline to follow, there is no perfection in supreme will power. You do the best you can to raise your kids, sometimes slag happens, it did for me. My father died before I even got to know him. How's that for a wake up call?

When I was young I liked both the Autobots and Decepticons. I'd see those sad programs on TV asking for your donations for these poors kids. I, 6, asked mom to donate. Mom, without spose to support kids, said no. So, as it says on my profile I perfere the Deception line rather Autobots. You live once you should enjoy it. But it doesn't mean I'm evil and sadistic and I want to rule the world. It's just a show, it's just a toyline, it's just a comic book, it's just a game. None of it is real, except the morals that we should look on and learn on and maybe teach our kids so that they can make good decisions when they're ready to live on their own.

My point is, the stuff on TV can influence kids, some of it influenced me. What kids take interest in can hold an outcome later. Maybe the hot mom of 'Jonny' wanted to wait until he was older before he started buying into the bad guy role, when he had a better understanding. All it means to me is that we lost one for Megs (curse the Autobots and their propaganda) and that eventually he might one day be able to buy himself a Megs.

....or maybe, as said before, he's got a Megs waiting for his birthday :p 

7. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

All the parents that don't let their kids play with toy kids need to lighten up.

My girlfriend and her sister said that if they had kids they'd never let them play with fake guns. I was very surprised with this statement.

I'm only 20 so I never grew up in the "glory" days of fake guns and such but when I was little I played with tons of Nerf guns, cap guns, swords, and everything else under the sun. Hell, when I was in 7th grade my friends and I all got into Paintball. I'm sure you all know what Paintball is.

Did I turn out OK? Pretty mcuh.

8. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

I'm really suprised you turned out "OK" so to speak. I know a few people I grew up with whose parents were like that. One of these kids parent's wouldn't let their kid hang out with me because I let him borrow a parental advisory CD in 6th or 7th grade.

When the kid turned 18 he turned into a party animal. Smoking,drugs, and tons of drinking. Sheltering your kid DOES NOT work. Sooner or later they will gain access to the "forbidden fruits" of the world and go nuts.

It reminds me a teacher in my school. He doesn't let their kids watch TV, eat fast food, candy of any time, or soda pop. Do you really think they'll keep these ideals once they get a certain age? They'll see all of their friends chugging mountain dew and eating McDonalds.

9. theLostSeeker

The funny thing would be that, somehow, 'Johnny' came accross this thread and showed it to his mom. Anyway, why am I even saying that?

10. TheLastAutobot

TheLastAutobot the guy behind the shades

Ebay:
    When I buy and when I play, I don't think goodguy badguy, I think quality and awesomosity.

11. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Not entirely the same, but a good fictional example of what you're saying is Lane Van Gerbig (nee Kim) of the show Gilmore Girls. (What can I say - I love the show.)

12. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

Because it's true :D 

13. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

Totaly dude.
    I have maybe 2 CDs because I believe in using the free FM stations on the radio. But i do download music, and on my free will i download edited versions...most the time... because i have made the choice not to listen to that stuff.

The thing parents here aren't getting is that some how the kid will find out about it at school or wherever. It's like a computer on the web, you might think by only using "safe sites" you won't get a virus. yet, i have got pop ups virus warnings via McAfee on all sorts of sites.

Like he said above, over sheltered kids normally end up going wild when they are given the freedom to choose. I believe the parent should teach the kid how to choose a toy, not force them to get the good guy. Thus the kid will learn how to make decisions and the consequences of that decision.

Why do we need good guys if there are no bad guys???

Ok guys, honnestly, i have never had to make the choice ofg good or bad guy in the store. I mean the good guys always win, the bad guys look cooler. IDK. I would choose the bot that i wanted economicly. if i can get 3 bad guys for $10 and 2 good guys for $10, i'm going to the dark side. i just really cant grasp the concept of choosing evil's face. should it be ninja bunnies or satin himself? And if we do recall, luceifer was the most beautiful angel in heaven...

look at Starscream who was a "bad guy" but was a good guy on the inside in armada. GAWH!!!!! I wish we had a chat room here... this would be a lot easier.

PS: if i said anything that made no sense at all, PM me so i can edit it :) 

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'm 12 years old and my Mom Loves Decpticons espicially Cybertron Star Scream and Scourge she doesn't mind that I owned Classics megatron's but i was abusive with him trying to shot everyone with it i know what What's right from wrong i just like to fool around

Also I trying to find i Classics Megatron for my Cousin Sophie wants to start collecting Tf's a bit but He so freaking hard to find except for Walmarts I got to pick her up one or Cybertron Galvatron.

P.S WTH Does everyone mean by Johnny was on The Website is it a joke or it's it real

P.S Did I Do Too much P.s and or also to much I soo Hate Comman Sense ah Screw it Screw all Comman Sense I am going Crazy,i Have a dog Blah Blash GOT MILK!!!!!!!!! Is Dungess Crab Taste good or is it like Shitake haha Got EVEN More MILKY MILKY MILKY MILK haha take that Scoutmaster Lumpus I going randomness That a I don't get Joke oh Blahddy Blahd Blah Blah I'm STEPHEN HARPER DESTROY DESTROY Oh Yeah ah get Out Kool Aid man go sleep with Blady Brithney if you want I "like Jimmy Crack corn with more CRACK in it WOO HOO Do'h Okay Finito :D 

15. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits:
    Their are a number of amount of possible outcomes of any decision it is like a road with 2 ways of travel all the way down it one after the other. And anything that has an influence though their own point of view guides them the way to go. and what way you go affects how all the other people guided which way to go ( hope i said that clearly ).

So if it is true that the mother didn't want to give the classic megatron because she felt it was a negative role model ( although i agree to the fact that she has the right to do this ) the problem here is "is it" going to affect that kid in a positive way in the first place as the kid may start to follow the path that the mother tried to avoid?

16. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    And I didn't even mention that we didn't have a TV for about 8 years because the preacher at the church we went to said it was a "tool of the devil" and that we should "throw it out with the trash". Which is precisely what dad did.

And mom may have been overbearing, but she certainly didn't "raise no fool" and dad had a very level head and extremely practical approach to life. That's why I didn't turn into a "party animal". And I did see exactly that happen to other friends and acquaintences I knew at church, whose parents overshelted them as well.

My "rebellious" phase amounted to no more than listening to Rick Dees on the radio I had stuffed under my pillow at night, and then once I turned 17 I started sneaking out to see (gasp!) movies.

I never got around to sowing my "wild oats". They just rotted in the bag.

I'm something of the "black sheep" in my family, having worked at places like "Hollywood Video" and "GameStop", sold copies of "PLayboy" when I worked at Barnes & Noble, and sold beer and cigarrettes at Kroger. I also spent 4 years touring with music groups.

I know my parents and other members of my family don't approve of those things, but I stopped caring about trying to make them happy a long time ago. As Bon Jovi sings, "It's my life."

Getting back to topic, one other important piece of information missing from theLostSeeker's original post: he never said what the kid actually ended up buying. This whole discussion is for mostly for naught if the kid ended up getting his way after all.

And adding to my original post--I wouldn't have a problem with my child playing with toy guns, depending on what they looked like. Many of them are clearly toys. It's having a replica like G1 Megatron's alt mode around a preschooler or even gradeschooler that would bother me. It resembles the real thing a little too closely.

17. theLostSeeker

Oops... I don't know how I forgot to mention 'Johnny' ended up getting nothing since all he wanted was Megs or SS.