Good Parenting!?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by theLostSeeker, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i too am not a gun fan, and my kids wont have them for quite some time, once i have kids that is....but, if she doesnt want her kid to get it because hes a badguy, that seems odd....

2. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I was referring to Optimus Prime as a character, the leader of the good guys. Kids want him, moms want kids to be like him.

3. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

I really don't see either not letting kids play with guns or figures representing "evil" as bad parenting. Quite the opposite actually. *

*note: however, I would let my kids play with toy guns (depending how gunnish it was)/decepticons. It's each parent's choice to make. Kids can deal.

4. Foster

News Credits:
    good, bad... I'm the guy with the gun.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    In response to the source post, I'd say yeah - I'd consider that good parenting. Like Foster said, Optimus Prime is a "good guy," and the leader of the "good guys" at that; he represents upstanding morals, positive values, etc.

Besides, who knows? Maybe Mom will let him buy Megatron next week/month/whatever so Optimus has a buddy.

6. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

evil parents, bad parent, let the kid chase people with a toy gun that makes a annoying sound and get in trouble(no, i am not being sarcastic)

7. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I want my kids to have a vast knowledge of robotic combat.

8. Foster

News Credits:
    I'm glad you posted, because I wanted to get a kid's perspective. Does your mom prefer to buy you Autobots versus Decepticons?

9. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    As a 'Kid' myself (15), I never really took in the fact that Classics Megatron could promote violence in impressionable children, especially young children.
    I dont think I'd really have thought about it, if not for this thread. I have no intention to buy Classics Megs, not because hes a gun, and my parents would disagree (they dont care), but because I've never really been a fan of Neon colours, White, Purple + Orange, no thanks. (Unless I see him on clearence)

Still, I would say that theres no harm in playing with Classics Megatron, Kids are far more likely to pick up violent habits playing dress up (Pirates with pistols + swords, spacemen with laser guns.etc).

My Parents wouldnt refuse to buy me Classics Megs because hes a gun, they just wouldnt because they refuse point-blank to buy me TF's, and dont want to support my interest. They just let me get on with it.

10. Blastwave

Blastwave Well-Known Member

I have almost nothing but 'Cons, and I don't consider myself psychotic. Of my psychologists may think otherwise...

11. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Well said. I know when I was younger, that all my friends and I always wanted to be the robbers and not the cops because that was boring, same with toys, the bad guys just always looked a lot cooler.

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    No matter what the law says, 15 year olds are old enough to know the difference between what is acceptable and what is not. Kids who are 5-10 are still learning and are still very impressionable and as such it is the parent responsibility to say what they should learn and what they should not.

It is funny to me that a woman who is trying to look out for the best interest of her kid is being criticized for not letting them play with guns.

13. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

There either seem to be less Megs released here in Oz then Primes or that he's a quick seller.

I can understand parents not buying "overtly violent" toys such as a gun mode Megs, but to say that's because they don't want them to play with violent toys and buy Transformers is a bit of silliness.

14. BlueFlame

BlueFlame Well-Known Member

Read Marvel comics Civil War for that answer. :p 

15. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

good guys VS Good guys. IK.

When you shine a light, you find Shadows.

Can't have one side of the coin.

16. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So she doesn't want him to play with guns. The kid goes home and logs onto the internet to cnn.com and reads about murders and a war.

Or he goes home to turn on PS2 and pops in GTA...

Kids have plenty of places to find violence, a toy robot is the least of that women's worries.

17. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

I'm under the assumption that such a parent wouldn't let kids have GTA at home and monitors (or attempts to) what their kids are doing online. I certainly would.

18. TheJacker

TheJacker Banned

to agree with th good doctor my parents didnt want me to have gta till i was 15 i was playing at 11 anyway tho so now being 18 i see y some parents might not want to let their kids have toy guns but then agian classics megs is a nerf gun so does not look like a real guna at all so i say i disagree with the mom because if its about the gun well it has no resembelence to a real gun so get over it and if its a bad guy issue wtf in most comics the good guy is seen as a villin once in a while ex spiderman/black spiderman hulk/hulk sideways green lanturn in jl and of corse the dinobots had their little time so in the end its a 50 50 thing good cannot exist without evil evil cannot exist without good so stop crying those log tears use the wood to build a bridge and get over it.

19. Shipley

Shipley extremely online

News Credits:
    Classics Optimus Prime is shipping in triple the numbers Megatron and Jetfire are. He's still selling.

20. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    This brings back one of my most vivid memories of my life and times as a 6 years old boy...it was a bright and sunny afternoon, the floor was covered in all manner of transformers, trukks, dinosaurs, power rangers, etc. Of course, it was a WAR! My dad walks past my room and pokes my head in to see what I'm doing.
    "Why can't they all just be friends?" he asked curiously.
    I shrugged...not knowing why of course, and went on to have Heroes Megatron totally blast a dinosaur to smitherens...
    Dad pretty much gave up on the whole peaceful play after that, I think its because he's a guy, and he understands that every little boy is gonna have SOME violence in his proverbial diet.
    This mom though, sounds like the typical mother who doesn't want her chilluns runnin' 'round the house with toy guns and light sabers, I hope he gets his Megs gun someday soon.
    DN