Good Parenting!?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by theLostSeeker, Mar 5, 2007.

1. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

I was out hunting for TFs at a local retail store, the other day. There was this 7-year-old kid with his mom trying to pick up some toys in the TF section where I was. The little one was all excited at the sight of TFs he liked (Classics, if you're curious…) and asked his mom if he could get Megatron or Starscream. The hot mom said "Sure, but you can only get one." The boy replied, "Alright, I'll get Megatron because he's the leader of the bad guys and he's so cool, etc." Bad mistake. His mother told him "Why don't you get one of the good guys instead?"
    I opened my mouth to say something, but decided not to.
    The kid wanted Megatron, the mom said yes before she knew he was a bad guy. And now she's putting the toy back on the shelf because her son didn't want anything else. Was she afraid her kid would turn evil if he played with "bad" toys? The bad guys are, most of the time, the coolest characters in practically every toy line ever! Anyway…

2. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I prefer good guys myself. But playing with bad guy action figures is not going to make you grow up psychotic. You said it was Classics so maybe it was the gun toy that freaked the mom out not the bad guy thing. I wonder what the mom would have said if the kid had picked Starscream? If it was the bad guy thing and not the gun thing the poor kid would have lost out either way.

Love your avatar btw. I so need to get MP Screamer, once I have the money that is.

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think if you let them play with toy guns, they wont go looking for the real ones in the closet. Seriously I would never say no you can't have a toy gun thats purple and green and has a orange tip.

4. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I have also seen this situation. A mom came in, also hot, looking for some TF's for her nephew. She asked me which I thought was the best for a kid aged 8. I showed her all the ones I liked and bought; Starscream, Astrotrain, Grimlock etc. She told me that he didn't want any of the toys to be associate with violance and/or guns. Of course the only one left is Bumblebee what with his Jetpack and all. I guess since we are a bit older and fans we don't notice the violance attributed to the toys. Maybe as soon as that mom saw her kid want the gun, she freaked and said he couldn't have it.

5. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    As a parent I would say if she disapproved of the toy because it was a "bad" character, that was lame. If she didn't want her kid to play with guns (even ridiculously neon colored guns) that is understandable to me.

I recently got G1 Megs and had taken it out of the box to examine it when my four year old daughter came up and asked me "Daddy whats that?" I felt very weird having my kid see me holding even a fake gun, so I told her it was a hair dryer.

But we are all different.

6. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

But she agreed to purchase it before she knew it was a bad guy. She changed her mind after her son said he was the leader of the bad guys.

Also… Thanks for the compliment Fairlady_Z

7. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Without 'bad guys' there would be no good guys...

At any rate I will not buy this for my son becuase it is a Gun. I could care less if it was a bad guy though.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is why Optimus Prime sells so well.

9. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

My dad's the same way about bad guys, just in a different way. If the bad guys look evil or demonic, he thinks it's bad and i should get rid of it. What should bad guys look like, bunnies? And if we got rid of the bad guys, who would the good guys fight? each other??

10. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

All of the Primes or just Classics Prime? Because Classics Prime is a shelf warmer over here.

11. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

Oversheltering.

Guns exist. Get used to them.

Violence exist...everywhere. Get used to it. It's just part of life.

!gah!

12. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    :banghead: 

Lazy parenting pisses me off.

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:

I don't want to get into a debate on guns in society, but I do not blame parents for not wanting their children playing with guns. Yes guns exist, yes violence exits, but it is too much to ask that kids are sheltered from it, just a little bit.

Guns are bad mmkay...

14. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

Ditto, parents can't be protecting their children from "evil" for the rest of the children's lives. They need to let them be aware that this kind of stuff is out there and it's a bad thing. Just cuz Megatron looks like a gun, doesn't mean that they shouldn't buy it. How is that different from say, kids playing cowboys and indians with fake guns and arrows?

15. EvanusPrime

EvanusPrime Active Member

When I was a kid I had more bad guys than good guys whether it was Transformers, He-Man, TMNT, etc. Usually the bad guy toys were just cooler. My parents were never worried that I would become a criminal because Astrotrain had a gun or Skeletor had a skeleton for a head.

I can maybe understand the issue of Megs being a gun, but that being said, all kids play cops and robbers or have at least one water gun. Or maybe times have seriously changed from what I remember.

And at some point or another, they will be exposed to violence. I think it would be better for a parent to let them learn on their own (with proper guidance of course) rather than just shelter them from everything. Otherwise one day they will be in for a rude awakening. Naturally, it depends on the age of the child though, and what the parent thinks the child can handle. Being over protective is one thing, but not being able to get an orange and purple Megatron seems weird to me.

All that said, I'm not a parent. Maybe I'll feel different one day.

16. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    My nephew and niece both love to play w/ Classics Megs, and you make a great point since my brother has many many real guns and if the kids are playing w/ Megs, they aren't looking to play w/ the real ones (they do know never to touch the real ones, he has taught them well).

17. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Totally off topic but this one time I was dusting off my Transformers in my apartment kitchen with the balcony door open. This guy saw me dusting off G1 Megatron and I think he thought I was a sniper and that I was going to kill him. I just waved.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I think that she was being overprotective, but I respect the parent's right to choose what their children are exposed to.

I certainly prefer the situation you described to this one.

19. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

There's a reason most toy-lines make more good-guy characters than the bad-guys. A majority of the market wants the good-guys, since the good-guys always win and are often better role-models. But yes, some kids will prefer the bad-guys, or want the main character toys, be they good or evil.

Some parents would rather shelter their kids from the "evil" side, even if it is something as trivial as a toy.

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I can sort of understand where he would be coming from with that one, but I know what you mean as well. At the end of the day it's up to each parent to decide what their kids should and should not get. With Megatron, it's possible she didn't see him before, so she maybe genuinely doesn't want her kid playing with toy guns or bad guys. Honestly hearing that makes a change from hearing about Soccer Moms who sue anyone and everyone when something goes wrong, she at least seems to be concerned enough with what her kid is getting into rather than blaming the toy company after the fact.
    Like I say, I don't judge. Different strokes for different folks and all that.