Customs: Good lord them stickers is E-spensiv!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ShadowStitch, May 12, 2008.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Man alive! I just went to reprolabels, and on a whim, added to my cart every repro sticker set I would need to restore all the worn G1 figures I've acquired, add the missing details to my WST figs, and snazz up my alternators.

The end result was 22 sticker sheets totalling $138.00!!! (and 2$ shipping :D )

MEGA-OUCH! :eek: 

I don't know if the medium they're using is really that expensive, or if, like arcade repro artwork providers, you're paying primarily for access to their graphics database, and for the time they spent cleaning up and preparing the artwork...but the fact remains, that's a whole lotta puddin!

Not to say I have any complaints with the quality of their products -- they're absolutely top notch stuff -- it's just so FREAKING expensive. I wish they'd offer at least a small discount incentive, like 10% off orders over 100$ or something like that...

But I gotta get em sometime, and there's no other place to get em...so as it stands, I'm just gonna have to save my pennies for a while, in order to afford these...um...stickers. :redface2: 

2. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    As the old saying goes..."you wanna play, you gotta pay".

They do make great stuff so for me cost isn't an issue, you always get your moneys worth.

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    The more I've ordered from them, the better they've been to me. It's true, you are restoring 20+ year old stickers, and they are custom made, so you pay a bunch. From what I've seen, they don't have ANY stock stickers, even autobot/con symbols are custom printed and cut on order.

Only thing that kills me with them is the 2+ week shipping time from Canada....

4. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Like TTT says "you want to play, you gotta pay." I absolutely love their stuff and they have been great to me. I personally think their stuff is a great deal. If you have a lot the trick is to buy a little each month.

5. MrMurder

MrMurder Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    well there is always the old fashion way of making your own
    probably need to have one hell of a snazzy printer (which i do) :rock 
    i plan to give this a shot myself cuz as you said, those stickers are expensivo

here's the radicons tutorials on how to make your own
    http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/browsecategory.php?do=searchresults&searchid=3027

... well now i almost feel like a tool. lol, the one tutorial in there is by... hmm... you?

6. ShadowStitch

Yeah, I don't want, in any way, to construe that the stickers they sell aren't spectacular, because I've used their labels before and they're absolutely first class -- it's just startling when you add up all the little 3$ and 5$ sticker sets and you realize you've spent enough to easily buy a MP-05, or perhaps that PSP you've been eyeing. Opportunity cost is a bitch. :p 

Hahaha, not EXACTLY. I just photoshop a lot. I'd print my own if I could, but as it stands I've never printed anything more complex than basic inkjet stickers on adhesive-backed label material and basic vinyl plotting -- nothing professional grade and waterproof like these guys. Amateur inkjet printing, sealing, etc...It's a lot of work to handmake something that looks even remotely as good as their stuff.

It's just really freaking expensive, is all. :lol 

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure a lot of their stickers are thermal printed, and/or printed with UV ink on foils. To try to do this yourself, you'd need to build all the stickers on your graphics program, make sure they all fit perfectly then print with a home laser or ink jet printer... most likely it'll create a mess and cost more than just ordering from repro.

8. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

As someone who DOES make labels, to get top notch stuff like reprolebels.... Your better off just paying the $5 per set. seriously. it takes HOURS UPON HOURS to vector the graphics, then print them ( they print white ink, AND pre-cut them.

sure you can just scan and print, but then you dont have the quality, and home printers still don't print white ink.

you ordered 22 sets, at $5 + each on average, what did you expect, $30??

reprolabels ( and myself) offer a service, we cant give things away for free.

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, at one time I worked in a sign shop, we built vector versions of everything, some went into vinyl production using sometimes 20 different colors...it was not fun.

10. ShadowStitch

Hey, hey now... I never said I wanted anything for free, and yes, I've done years of graphic design work; in a sign shop, a web/print design house, and a textile company (The latter consisting mostly of vector tracing ridiculous T-shirt designs featuring drag racing muscle cars. Gag.)

I know the work that goes into it -- I personally have a collection of over 400 gigs of custom arcade artwork that I've spent innumerable hours working on, and could probably resell for thousands, or even open my own business selling the repro art if I really wanted to. But like you say, there's a certain price on your effort, and a certain expected remuneration for your time spent preparing the graphics, not to mention the cost of setting up a professional printing room with the proper dye sub equipment and vinyl printers and all that other expensive hoo-ha.

And of course, people are free to charge whatever they want, when they've cornered the market and people have no choice but to pay it if they want the products you sell... But it's not as if I was adding multiple Fort Max size sticker sheets (which are a whopping 48$, I might add) to my order or anything. These were mostly small sticker sets, and I balked because yes, I honestly expected to spend maybe 75$...not twice that.

I was just posting because I was shocked to see that these decals command such premium prices. It's hard to justify half the cost of a figure, just for a sheet of stickers...

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    if you actually FOUND original stickers for all those you put in your basket, and then compared the price, THEN you'd be shocked. Not to mention his stickers are BETTER than the originals anyway. I don't think he's charging much at all.

12. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Sounds like a case of sticker shock. Ba-dum-chik!

13. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

BOOOOOOO!

14. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wish they would do gold and silver autobot/con symbols

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    You could always try to get your labels from original label sheets from ebay. I think once you did that search, you'd see the bargin you're getting from Delta :wink: 

16. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

everybody hit the nail on the head. also if you want expensive order a special set i shelled out $50.00 for 1 set of special stickers do i regret it...... no.

like the other guy said just order a few at a time thats what i do

17. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Exactly! Just order a set each week. It'll run you half a year of happy stickering! And you'll spend an average of 7 bucks a week.

They did a limited run of gold symbols. Free with every $XX. I still have a couple of those.

I've done business with reprolabels since they started. And I'm still amazed at how their work improved and how perfect we thought it was in the beginning. But comparing the new labels to the old, the old labels are shit! I still order there regurlarly and also love the upgrades.

iDD

18. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    they're doing the silver ones again right now.. free with every $25 purchase.