Good job on the last update Sony...really, brilliant.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ChldsPlay, Apr 4, 2010.

1. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Nonononono. This is all wrong. LAWSUIT! Cash settlement. This is the American way.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean I want some extra cash too, but I'll get it the old fashion American way, in a dark alley. lol

3. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    More nerdrage *sigh*. Don't these people have more important things to worry about.

My 2.5 year old husky Playstation 3 is fine after the update.

Yes, lol, totally.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

And unleash the Batman on the world? Are you fucking crazy?

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A little, I'm unleashing MoonKnight!

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Dude. They took out Linux BECAUSE people were already hacking it. They tried to patch the hole, but that didn't work, so instead of just patching the whole they tore out the door completely. The new slims already ship without the Other OS functionality, so it's not like it's been "advertised" any time recently as being a useful funtion. And for the majority of the people who did use the Other OS thing, they didn't even use the PS3 as a gaming system nor use PSN at all so they haven't lost anything. The only ones really screwed by this are hackers and that tiny percentage of super geeks who liked having a poor version of Linux on their PS3 for whatever reason.

p.s. the major Hacker responsible for breaking into the PS3's main systems is already trying to make an update of his own to counteract this PSN update. Hackers will be hackers, but that doesn't mean Sony should make it easy for them.

It was never a big selling point and the old fats still run fine once you update. If you never used the feature, why would you care about it being lost? If you're actually having trouble post update, that's a new, rare problem and not one that's widespread enough to grab the pitchforks and torches to storm Sony's door.

5 dorra sucky sucky?

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the coffin, my friend, but I was thinking more the Sea Monkey episode.

8. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Close your eyes and suck it out of a hose?

9. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    There's way, way too much butthurt over a feature nearly no one uses. Linux was a slow mess on the PS3, whose only redeeming feature was the ability to browse the web unhindered by the Sony browser and occasionally find an emulator that worked on Linux. It was a useless feature and the only people who should really be pissed are the ones that were hoping to exploit the Linux install to play pirated games.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's the one. "A Hose huh?" "Yeah." "Oh." lol

11. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Wow. Just wow. You people are bitching at people complaining about false advertising on the part of a billion dollar corporation? Wow. Way to be ignorant of the legal system too. Its not about getting money, its about getting a wrong corrected. If they reimplemented the other OS feature with stronger security, I would be happy.

Yea. We're pretty clueless about what Linux is. Care to explain how Linux running on the PS3 opens the door for "shit that can damage it or make it void"? I would really love to hear how this happens, since you're making it sound like the removal of this feature was for my own protection. Was it so I cant fuck things up when I make a mistake in rewriting xorg.conf, or was it because a company decided to panic and issue a collective punishment when a single hacker got too close for comfort?

And no. Its not about piracy at all. What I want is the web browser, since its the only way to watch a bunch of flash based web videos on my TV, given that the PS3 browser blows and Hulu blocks the browser from viewing content on it.

12. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Noisemaze Collector

News Credits:
    Giga, I'd say that you are the one that is ignorant of the legal system if you think a suit of any kind regarding this issue has any chance in court. Besides, if you are in a tizzy over the inability to watch YouTube, Hulu, or other Flash video on your TV, then you should have bought a dedicated media box for your TV instead of relying on a web browser installed on a non-native OS installed on a gaming system. You'd have saved a lot of headaches just using a second hand laptop or desktop with audio / video outputs.

13. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Show me a commercial where Sony was pushing the PS3 based on it's crappy Linux running capabilities.

It was a feature in the old systems, it provided a hole for hackers to try and crack the system, it was removed from the old systems.

Where was the whining and bitching when the PS3 dropped it's memory card readers? Or when the slims were shipped without OtherOS in the first place? Or when it's USB slots were trimmed from 4 to 2? It sucks Sony responded to hackers in such a harsh way, and it would be nice if they left it even if 90% of the PS3 owners didn't actually use it (and of them probably only a quarter of them actually used it for legitimate reasons) but it's what they had to do.

There is no false advertising, there is no 'bait and switch'. Even if you don't log into PSN, you can still play any video games and watch any Blu Ray movie that comes out in the future. So if you want your Linux so badly, you'll just have to give up PSN (or wait a week for the hackers to hack the system...again). Whether or not OtherOS is on the system, it still plays games and movies exactly like it's supposed to. It sucks you can't watch Hulu on your TV now, but sadly there's nothing that can be done about it. If you want to be pissed at anyone, be pissed at the hackers who openly tried to break the PS3 code for whatever reason.

p.s. While the PS3 web browser may not be the greatest, I never had any trouble watching videos on it. Maybe it's just Hulu that won't let it through because I believe Youtube works, as some other sites. I frequently watch steaming anime on my TV through my PS3's web browser with no issue.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  14. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    There are much, much easier ways to watch Hulu, and most any other streaming video, on your TV via the PS3 than using Linux to do so.

15. Gigatron_2005

Not a commercial, but it was advertised on playstation.com. Open Platform for PLAYSTATION3

The feature is also noted on the box for the system.

Wow you really dont get it. First off, dont you see the difference between a feature on an already purchased machine being removed, and the gimping of a new model of that machine? If you dont understand that there is a world of difference between removing features of a already purchased machine and removing features from an unpurchased or unreleased machine, I really cant help you. I have my memory card slots because they came with the system that I purchased for $599. Today you dont have those slots because they do not come with the model that you purchased. Sony didn't take anything from the newer models, they just didn't make a feature available.

Second, you are very much mistaken about firmware requirements. They are required to play new games and bluray movies. Not applying the update might not affect the ability to play a game that is coming out tomorrow, but it will affect the ability to play a game that is coming out a few months from now.

16. Gigatron_2005

If you're an attorney or something I'll be willing to shut up and believe you. But yeah, this is kinda a legal gray area. And why should I have to buy something else when the PS3 was advertised as more than a gaming machine?

Elaborate please?

17. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Play On Media Server. Been using it on my 360/PS3 for nearly 2 years. Works on Wii, but I have no use for it there. Plus it allows for plug-ins by anyone who wants to create them. This gives me access to Marvel.com, Crackle, IGN, Food Network, SyFy, Game Trailers, Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, Live Streaming from around the world, and anything else that someone creates a plug-in for. There's a one-time license fee (they have a free, full featured, trial), but I paid it and have used it almost daily since, especially for Hulu.

18. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Noisemaze Collector

News Credits:
    So, let me get this straight. You claim someone else to be ignorant of how the legal system works when you don't know any more or less than he does? I'm sorry to say, but as the party with the complaint, the burden of proof for legal misconduct is on you, so other than the terms of use that you agree to when using the system, no one here needs any additional proof of innocence on the part of Sony. Hell, I'm not even a fan of Sony but I still understand that by using the system, you agree to Sony's conditions for use of that system and the services they provide. If they want to restrict access to those services they can, and yes, playing games, blu ray, and psn are services. Besides, your main argument about a feature being removed is invalid, as the feature is still there. Sony just restricted it's use with the other features which is within their rights.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  19. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you didn't want to get treated like shit by the maker of your console, you shouldn't have bought a Sony console; guess people just didn't learn from that whole Disc Read Error. Seriously, after the ignorance and customer service they gave during the PS2 why did you so willingly give your money to them again? I guess you guys must love being treated poorly by big business. Microsoft isn't any better, so don't lump me in with that lot; it only took them how long to offer any sort of decent customer service over the RRoD and don't forget how the X-Bawks "Original" had house burning down potential. If you become wiser about how you give your money to companies that don't care about you, then you'll be happier in general.

20. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WOW! Really?

I must say I never used the option to install another OS so this does not effect me. I understand why some people are not happy about it but Sony has the right to control what is on their console.