Good job on the last update Sony...really, brilliant.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ChldsPlay, Apr 4, 2010.

1. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Not only do you make users make a choice between ADVERTISED (at one time) features of the system, but it seems lots of users are having all sorts of malfunctions including YLOD, blu-ray drive failures, and loss of internet functionality.

So far, only the latter has affected my PS3.

2. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

I wish this was elaborated upon just a bit.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    in an update that removes linux support from the original PS3 models to block off an exploit that would enable piracy on the console, they have introduced a bunch of big problems, that are breaking people's systems.

4. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Yep, my friends PS3 has lot Blu-Ray.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I won't be updating until sony fixes this shit.

I can understand removing linux to keep piracy from going nuts on the system, after an exploit was found. likely a hard decision to make, but they made the right one, and I would have done the same.

but not testing enough to see if it didnt break the goddamn system?

bravo.

6. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

But is it legal for them to remove it? They sold systems advertising that feature, now consumers are left with a choice to give up a feature they paid for, or lose some of the other features they paid for.

I smell a class action lawsuit if Sony doesn't reverse itself....and fix some busted PS3s.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    it's completely legal.

Nintendo took away the online stage sharing function in Super Smash Bros. Brawl after they discovered people were using it to send a special file around that enabled you to install the homebrew channel. very similar to this.

Whenever any of these companies release something, they always make sure in their wording that they can remove any feature that they need to.

8. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

Why not just patch whatever allowed hacks to be run via Linux?

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    they did. linux allowed hacks to be ruin via linux. thus, bye bye linux.

10. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah Im uptight about it but mag has me addicted so i updated....

11. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Really? That shitty.

12. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

But in this case its more of a bait and switch. There is a difference between turning off a server for sharing content and removing a feature which resides on the console in my own home. When I bought the system, the PS3 was advertised as playing PS3 games, playing Bluray movies, and the ability to run Linux. If I want to keep Linux, 2 of those 3 advertised features no longer function as advertised, since I am unable play games and movies which require the newer firmware. If I choose to not keep Linux, 1 of the 3 advertised features for which I purchased my PS3 no longer functions. This is even shadier when you consider that by looking at a package for a bluray movie or game, I am unable to determine which firmware the software on the disc requires. I wouldnt mind this that much if the next firmware reintroduces a even more locked down install other OS feature. But as it stands right now, I really hope somebody sues Sony over this.

13. ronin0510

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah i mean its like a car company taking out radiodecks cause people are tuning the station instead of driving. ...

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    no it's not.

15. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I haven't seen any reports of the Firmware Update affecting systems or causing them to brick.

YLoD is completely unrelated to Firmware anything.

The only discussion of systems not working correctly due to the update is because of people who do the update without reading either one of the two large blatant "STOP: WARNING" messages. Those people have to have a Linux partition and do the update and ignore the warnings to have problems.

As for whether this is legal or not, of course it is. Terms of Service. It's all there in black and white.

As for whether it's the right thing to do? Probably not. Kind of dick of Sony to remove it, but at the same time, it's understandable.

This goes without even mentioning that the new slim PS3s don't have this other OS option at all from the outset.

16. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Yes it is. It is a company removing a feature from a product that YOU "own". If you upgrade you are loosing Linux. If you dont upgrade you are loosing the ability to play new games and movies. Both of these were advertised features of the PS3 when I purchased it.

Also, terms of service are pretty LOL as far as legality goes. This could still go to court with a good argument.

Also, Sony just pissed off a lot of technical minded people with this. There was not much interest in hacking the PS3 before this update since it already ran linux, but I am sure that we will see some hacks coming soon.

17. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

when was this update? I'm in the middle of moving, and my ps3 slim has been in storage for 2 months, and I'll take it off the internet if it's a newer update.

18. ronin0510

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It Doesn't affect the new slim models though.

19. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can't go online anymore unless you do the update so you don't really have a choice if you still want to go online.

20. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How do you figure this can go to court? It is in the Service agreement, which you either agree to or not. Sony marketed their product with THEIR operating system, not someone elses. This means they can do whatever they want to THEIR operating system, since to them, Linux doesn't matter. If it did, they would put it on there.

And where in the hell did you see Sony marketing their system as being able to install other operating systems? If you are correct, which I don't know if you are, it is perfectly legal for Sony to make changes to THEIR system.

Look at every single all caps word. See what they are? THEIR. It's Sony's system. They can do what they want. And since the Terms and Service agreement changed with the update, and they show you this BEFORE you update, no lawsuit can come from this. They warn you, and give you a choice. It isn't their fault that people put an operating system on that wasn't Sony's. Sony doesn't make THEIR product to work with other people's OS. They work with THEIR OS, and it isn't their problem that in the process they ruin the chance for other people to use OS that is not from them.