good independent movie suggestions for teens...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Lumpy, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    so, i'm teaching a middle school film class this year, and want to show my kids that not all movies are 'hollywood' movies...but i really dont know any good, age appropriate indy movies...any suggestions?

also, anything thats available from netflix would be wonderful, since that's how i'm probably gonna have to get the movie...

2. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I was going to say something like "kids" or "The Basket Ball Diary's" but they are not really that age appropriate.

I know it is not independent, but how about the Breakfast Club, Good movie, age appropriate and they should see the original before Hollywood decides to re-make it.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    This. It's one of my favorite movies of all time. I have a feeling that there will come a time when it'll be ok to remake it, but not for a very long time. If I live long enough to see such a time, I'd love to have a hand in remaking it (I am going to college to become a movie director :D ).

4. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Delicatessen. Also: city of lost children.

5. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Napolean Dynamite, maybe, at least I liked it and it wasn't that big budgeted iirc

6. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Requiem for a Dream :redface2: 

You could show 'em Slacker, which, for middle school kids, is probably a stunningly accurate (and/or boring) portrayal of what some of their parents were like circa 1991.

7. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Well the first none "Hollywood" films I can think of are Clerks (totally not aproprate) Seven Samurai, and Yojimbo.

8. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Not all independent, but certainly underrated:

- The Princess Bride (1987)
    The best action-adventure-comedy-drama-romance-fantasy ever made.

- The Iron Giant (1999)
    An animated masterpiece.

- The Triplets of Belleville (2003)
    A modern animated classic. Uniquely animated and filled with great characters.

- The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980)
    Funny, poignant, and has a lot to say about social behavior and society in general.

- And Then There Were None (1945)
    Classic whodunit movie based on a classic Agatha Christie novel.

- Into The Wild (2007)
    It's flawed, but watchable. Great performances, and the themes are universal and important and could spark some great class discussion.

- Mozart and the Whale (2005)
    Quirky romantic dramedy about two people with Asperger's Syndrome.

- Arsenic & Old Lace (1944)
    Another Frank Capra classic. Carey Grant is constantly upstaged by the comedic cast of characters. A good choice for Halloween viewing too.

- The Court Jester (1956)
    Classic Danny Kaye in top form. 'Nuff said. Similarly, I also recommend The Inspector General (1949).

- Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
    I don't really consider myself an anime "fan", per se, but this is one of the best anime films I have ever seen.

- The Power of One (1992)
    Yet another movie that illustrates how Morgan Freeman is one of the greatest actors of his generation. An inspiring film too.

- Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002)
    Also very inspirational and moving.

- Secondhand Lions (2003)
    Great performances from Robert Duvall and Michael Caine.

- The Apostle (1997)
    Perhaps the defining performance of Robert Duvall's career. Duvall felt so strongly about getting this movie made that he invested a great deal of his own money in it and started his own production company when he couldn't get another studio to pick it up.

- The Snow Walker (2003)
    Slow but inspirational drama.

- Waitress (2007)
    A little Lifetimey, but filled with good characters and performances. It's also bittersweet to watch when you take into account that the writer/director of the film (who also plays a supporting role) was murdered before her movie finally made it to theaters.

- The War (1994)
    A really great drama and has some comedic moments as well.

These are all available via Netflix, and I believe they should be age-appropriate too (might wanna go ahead and view them prior to showing them in class, just in case).

9. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ...Do they hang out on the internet and act annoying?

Seriously though, most of these aren't all that independent but are a bit different to your standard Hollywood and should spark some good discussions:

American Beauty - Yeah it's pretty mainstream but it's got lots of issues and so forth you can talk about and it should connect very well to a teen audience.

Falling Down - Again it's fairly mainstream but it should hold their attention (i.e. it ain't boring) and there's a lot issues in it that one could discuss.

Pi - Very low budget, black and white, super indie. Kids probably won't dig it but it's a good film.

10. Jetfireinthesky

Jetfireinthesky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  11. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

All three of those are rated R and would be a one way ticket to getting fired.

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I don't remember the rating of the film, but if it falls in the right age catagory:

Knocking on Heaven's Door, a German movie about a pair of terminally ill patients who drink a bottle of tequila and decide screw laying down to die. Funny film, with Rutger Hauer in a surprise cameo.

13. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, R rated movies are really hard to pull off in a high school, and nearly impossible to use in a mid school...thanks for all the suggestions though guys...

14. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

George Lucas In Love. It was done by students at the USC film school. Funny, well made little flick showing the possible inspiration for the Star Wars Trilogy.

The dvd also has Swing Blade (a melding of Sling Blade and Swingers), Film Club (spoof of fiight club) and Evil Hill (Austin Powers combined with Notting Hill).

15. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

The live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie was independent, but not terribly good.

Part of the problem is that independent films tend to get noticed for pushing boundaries, and that often leads to an R rating. Also, when the movies of Tarantino and the Cohen Bros are (rightfully) considered to be independent, the difference between independent and studio is clearly no longer as significant as it used to be. Hell, the STAR WARS movies are actually indie films!

I don't suppose there's any chance you could get your kids to watch a foreign film (400 Blows FTW!).

16. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Wasabi French film with Jean Reno nothing too inspiring, but a cool movie.

18. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

[​IMG]

19. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I agree completely, and misterd responded with what I would've said to this:
    Lumpy asked for age-appropriate indie films, and there just aren't that many that would be appropriate for middle schoolers, and hence my less-commercial, underrated suggestions and nigh-forgotten classics.

That way at least the kids are exposed to quality films that aren't commercial-driven Hollywood formulas, remakes, and sequels.

20. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Some documentaries would be good, and there are tons of those out there.

Roger and Me is probably one of my favorites. I know Moore does a lot of politically charged stuff (a lot I don't agree with), but this was just him, his camera, and what was happening to his home town.

Who Killed the Electric Car? I enjoyed this, still a political slant, but a convincing one
    Supersize Me Great all around.

I have been told Maxed Out was good, its about credit lenders and while it was made two years ago, could lead some discussions about what is happening to those companies now.

This next one isn't a documentary, just a movie that I like.

The Secret of NIMH. Your students may be above watching this movie, but I still love it, even if the book is better. This is a blatant example of a departure from the norm. Don Bluth and a bunch of other Disney animators defected from Disney to maket his movie on their own. Its one of my favorite animated movies and I think the production value on it was amazing.