Good Guys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by mordecai6, May 8, 2008.

1. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    Having just recently re-watched the Mission Accomplished episode, coupled with the Till All Are Autobot transformer mosiac, I'm just wondering are the Autobots really that good? I mean you have Ultra Magnus threatening to court marshall Optimus in order to keep rumors down, and is willing to lie/censor the state of matters to keep morale going. And even though we have not gotten the earlier side of the story how do we know that the autobots didn't pull something similar to the Mosiac in the Animated continuity while kicking out the Decepticons. Also, if I remember correctly someone on this board that the Autobot way of government seemed old-fashioned and antiquated and even oppressive, so I'm just wondering if maybe the Decepticons might be right, even though they are you know still a destructive and murderous bunch. I mean the same could have been said about the American revolutionaries back in the 1700s if we looked at history from the British perspective, and we all know that history is up to those that win the wars, so once I'm just wondering are the Autobots really that great? and are the Decepticons just misconstrued revolutionaries? your thoughts/opinions?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Actually, I really like how they are portraying the Autobots vs. Decepticons. It's nice to not have every single Autobot be completely good all the time. In Animated they have imperfections and also have some real personality. Also, the Decepticons aren't the pure evil robots either. They seem to have an actual cause this time. It's basically revenge, but, it's still a cause for them to team up for. Just my personal opinion on the matter :D .

3. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

It just happens that the Autobots are willing/programmed to protect live, whereas the Decepticons have no intentions to do any of that. They're still the pure evil robots, and the only reason why they don't amass a high body-count is the fact that this is a children cartoon. :ev: 

4. BingoBrown

BingoBrown Well-Known Member

It's not just Magnus that's shown a darker side. Pretty much all of the main 'bots, OP, Ratchet, Prowl, etc. have been shown to be less than perfect. Also, Sentinel Prime is a total ass. But, it's good. Characters are supposed to have flaws, even the good guys.

This ain't your Daddy's G1.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It seems to be a common theme in TF comics and cartoons when the Autobots/Maximals/Good 'Bots are shown as the ruling majority on Cybertron, that there's a level of corruption or cover-up, or in the case of Animated, just basically being a force for the statis quo and 'not rocking the boat' even if doing so is the right thing to do.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I still hold by my opinion that down the road, something rotten will be discovered in Cybertron's High Council. Not sure who or what, but I get the impression that the powers that be are not all on the side of the angels.

7. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    Being the good guy isn't as easy as one might think. Sure you can choose the high road every single time, but Magnus knows this is war. And the Autobots aren't equipped enough to handle the Decepticon force without any advantages. Morale is one of them. If you got a bunch of soldiers going into battle thinking they're gonna lose, then the battle is already lost. And as a commander, sometimes that means making the tough choices that nobody wants to make. I doubt Magnus is happy about keeping everyone in the dark like that, but sometimes it has to be done. Happens in politics everyday.

Makes for great storytelling. Can't have every single one of the Autobots be boyscouts.

8. Darkscreamer785

Darkscreamer785 Waiting For The End

Its totally better that way. It makes their personalities so much more realistic, which is 100 times better than the way the Autobots acted in Cybertron and Energon.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    While Optimus and hios crew are undoubtably the good guys, I too think that somewhere down the road, some dark secrets about the Elite Guard and Cybertron will be revealed that will spring the question to our core cast:

Are they doing the right thing?

10. Darkscreamer785

Darkscreamer785 Waiting For The End

That would be great, I love it when show throw in twist like that.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It's just one of those things I could see happening. Either taht or some tremendous secret about the unethical way they won the war.

12. transfan_seek

transfan_seek Well-Known Member

yep
    beast wars is getting a run for its money alright

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Both of those would be great storytelling ideas for this series. I could totally see that happening. Not to mention I've been thinking for a long time that something is going to come out of the wood work that not everyone in the Autobot Council/Elite Guard are as good as they're letting on. Optimus really seems to be the only character that values his personal integrety above all else...

14. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

They all have a flaw, thats nice. Seeing Magnus trying to cover it up kinda irked me but then thinking of it, if war is about to start back up after so long of just being nothing, he was trying "for the greater good" which was wrong but well, I think it shows a crack that goes back to somewhere on Cybertron where it will eventually show something the Autobots have tried to keep covered up.

The good guys are still mostly good, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start wondering about factions eventually

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Which is probably why he's my favourite character. (Tied with Starscream)

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

It's really not all that surprising considering the morally ambiguous world we live in today. Art imitates life... and we've seen current world events mirrored or symbolized in all sorts of ways in movies and pop culture.

I think the Autobots as depicted in Animated and IDW reflect the realities of most democratic industrialized nations. They have a soft, affluent population accustomed to living in comfort. Government is government... we KNOW that there are shady things going on, but understand those things are sometimes necessary to protect our favoured position in the world. No government is completely moralistic or righteous. There's always corruption, social issues, conflict, etc...

The Decepticons may have some legitimate grievances with the Autobots, but their methods and goals are radical... too extreme. They would be many times worse if they were to hold the power. The parallels to our real world are not easy to miss. What's worse? A flawed, somewhat corrupted democracy, or fascist totalitarian tyranny? I'll take flawed democracy, thanks. :) 

Though to be fair... the Autobots don't seem that far off from a military dictatorship themselves, with a Supreme Commander and all. Prime's speech from the first episode about being "small cogs together in the great machine" sounds a lot like Soviet constructivist dogma to me. :) 

zmog

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    If I had my way, every medium would consistently depict the Autobots and Decepticons as not being straight-up, black-and-white, good-versus-evil, but two 'gray' factions fighting a war - two sides with both heroes and villains on each team. To me, it can seriously strain credibility if one side was filled with nothing but good individuals, and the other side with nothing but monsters. Which is why I think that Mosaic strip is an excellent and realistic portrayal of the Cybertronian Civil War.