Good gun for hunting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TransFan1996, Mar 21, 2010.

1. TransFan1996

TransFan1996 Well-Known Member

Can someone reccomend me some good guns for hunting deer and smaller animails?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Seriously, though, your best bet would be a Marlin.

3. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Custom Kimber Tactical .308

:D 

Make the bunny go boom.
    Good for deer though.
    Generally if you are looking at small game hunting, a .22 will do exactly what you want, and not put too large a hole in your pocket...If you want to get into bigger game you are looking at bigger guns and bigger price tags.

4. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yo Dawg, We heard you like to shoot, so we put guns on your guns so you can shoot while you shoot.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    :lolol  he said hunt not make Whitetail deer an endangered species

but i do agree with Nacht on the Marlin. Remington if your looking at a shotgun.

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Marlin isn't a bad answer, but I would personally recommend a Remington 700 in either a .223 or a .308. I don't hunt, but my brothers and father all do and love it.

It has variants that are reasonably priced, can often be found in a package (including a decent scope), and is just an outstanding rifle. The Army and Marine Corps adopted it as a platform for their M24 Weapons System. And if it's good enough for what they use it for, it'll definitely do the trick with deer, yeah?

Your decision about what caliber to buy depends on what you want to hunt. It's immoral to hunt deer with a .22. A .308 is fine, but way too much for smaller game. A .223 is more flexible, but really, you should have a deer rifle and then something for small game like squirrels, rabbits, etc.

EDIT: A good starting .22 that won't require a scope and is very reasonably priced is the Ruger 10/22. It's arguably the standard for basic .22 rifles. You can't go wrong with it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  7. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's probably Michael Bay's Hound from TF3

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i am not a deer hunter (great movie, though) but the local farmers around here that hunt deer in their lower forty use either 30-30 or .308 caliber rifles.
    you didn't mention if you prefer lever action, bolt action, or semi-auto so i guess that choice has been made already.

for smaller game, the people i know use .22 caliber or of all things, .410 shotguns.
    I can tell you from personal experience that a .410 is the perfect small game gun. from rats to raccoons, it is great.
    I was never handy with rifles, but i nailed quite a few squirrels at decent ranges with a lightweight .410 .

9. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

a .22 is pretty good for smaller game. I got my first (and only) deer with a .22 too.

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

facepaint & survival knife

11. OptimusSpanks

OptimusSpanks Well-Known Member

Survival knife? Bare hands my friend. Chuck Norris style.

12. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

How good a shot are you and how close can you get to a deer? Myself, I can make due with a Mossberg 500A with a fully rifled slug barrel, 24 inches, and Remington Buckhammer slugs. Good for about 100 yards or so. For more range, try their Core-Lokt Ultra sabot bullet. Note: the Buckhammers could potentially be used with a rifled choke tube, but do not try this with the sabots.

Mossbergs also swap barrels with incredible ease and no tools required. Then you can throw in a smoothbore barrel up to 28 inches and 7 1/2 birdshot for upland game like rabbits and birds.

For smaller deer and game, go with the 20 gauge 500 Field/Deer combo. That comes with both a 26 inch Field and 24 inch Slugster barrel.

So:
    [​IMG]

They can be had cheaply. I got mine for $225.00 at Big 5. They are also insanely and easily customizable for many uses. You can stick with a brass bead sight or go up to adjustable fiber optic sights.

Remember, practice before going out! You never take a shot less than a good anchor or kill shot at any animal that isn't an immediate threat.

- Coeloptera

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    be a man.

use a rake.

14. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

A rifle based on Remington 700 (ah, nothing beats good old Mauser mechanism) in .308 or .30-06. I'd go with .308 personaly.

15. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    When you decide, if you need to sight your new rifle, Toys Я Us has you covered.

16. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't hunt. I don't like to as I don't want to take a life of a creature when I can simply go to a grocery store to buy my food. However...

You have two simple options: Bolt Action and Lever Action rifles.

For Lever Action, I'd go with a Marlin 336. .30-30 is an old round, but very reliable and versatile. Easy on the shoulder too. Good for shooting both four-legged and two-legged critters. Use Hornady ammo and you'll get great performance and accuracy.

For bolt action, I'd go with either:

Remington 700 or a Winchester 70. The Winchester is more expensive, but it's a far better bolt gun than the Remington 700 series. Savage Arms is another brand you might want to look into as your first hunting gun choice.

I'd stay away from .308. Great round, but kind of hard to find in some areas and more expensive. Stick with .30-06 as it is a military surplus round, and much easier to come by. The .308 and .30-06 are so similar in ballistics you probably won't notice the difference. .223 is also a good round .

This isn't a cheap hobby, so don't be surprised to see how much these guns will cost you. Even the Mossberg's are not cheap. You can get one for under $250 at Big 5, and perhaps even Walmart, but there's also ammo and cleaning kits, clothing, and so forth.

Also, if you've never used a gun before, I strongly recommend going with a friend who knows how to teach you ahead of time, or take a course at a range in your area. Know all the safety rules of operating your weapon. There are also rules for hunting as well, that you and your friends should know ahead of time too.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't hunt either, but c'mon dude, don't kid yourself--there's no moral difference between killing an animal yourself and paying to have someone at a slaughterhouse do it for you so you can buy it at the store.

Also, I don't know where you live, but the OP is in Pennsylvania--the United States. .30-06 hasn't been a military round for decades. .308 replaced it and has been in our inventory since the 1950s.

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have to agree that the .308 has been kinda hard to come by lately. My sister owns a .308 and her gun shop has been out of stock for about a week.
    (i don't get that, really.)

just remember, you have to eat the heart of the first animal you kill. old Native American tradition. be one with the animal.

and for the record, the only things that people who refuse to take a life can honestly eat are rocks and dirt. plants are living things, too. lol

19. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

That should do the trick.