Customs: good first custom?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by 2ndSndWve, Aug 12, 2011.

1. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    Is there a good, cheap, easy to disassemble tf out there with no unpaintable plastic? I've been considering getting into customizing and want to know what is good to start with.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

DOTM Sideswipe. He's mostly comprised of gray cast plastic and he's pretty easy to find..

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I've always recomended the Movie Swindle/Camshaft mold, it doesn't need to be taken apart much to access all the visible areas (except the chest cannon, DON'T take that apart) since it's got a lot of ball joints and screws, and the mold is such utter crap that anything done to it is a great visual upgrade to it. The movie detail is also GREAT for practicing drybrush highlight techniques. It's a very common mold that can be gotten for cheap, so screwing it up doesn't mean you loose too much.

On the more "conventional" side, with figures that aren't super-detailed like movie figures, Cybertron era scouts (which can almost ALWAYS be found at places like Dollar General under the Universe banner) are more flat and geometrical in design. Scout class Scattorshot comes to mind, since he's got a lot of neat detail, can be found at dollar stores for cheap, and other than the cyberkey gimmick (which should not be dissasembled for people starting out in customising) should be easy to take apart for individual parts painting.

4. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

My first custom was the ROTF Knockout mold. It's mostly ball joints, and no pins need to be removed. He's not too hard to find, as there are four different versions of the mold.