Good Call by Bay

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by lostnfound, Aug 6, 2009.

1. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Then there shouldn't have been so many robots, but then I guess somebody would bitch about there not being enough robots right?

2. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haha, very true.

The thing is, if you took even half of the Twins screentime and dialogue and spread it out among the other Autobots, they'd have plenty of lines. Of course this is Bay's movie and he has final cut, so of course his creations are the stars of the show.

3. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I clearly remember hearing just "Arcee, Twins." No the in there.

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think a lot of the old tricks to put in character were missed, which seems odd because the tricks are pretty common and no secret so I can only guess that the director just wasn't concerned with giving the parts much character.

In war movies you get too many people in a squad to flesh out every last member of the squad so directors will use accents and banter to throw in enough personality so that it matters if someone gets shot. The squad member with the Brooklyn accent might rib his squad mate with the hay seed accent about his high school sweetheart.

We see very little of the shark in Jaws but with a few tricks it felt like the shark was always there. Really a bad move to make the Autobots puppets of the American government and the Decepticons so easy to track down because we lost the feeling from the first film that the Transformers could be anywhere and anything.

Cutting the movie down from 2 1/2 to around 1 1/2 hours would have also helped give a better robot to human time ratio with the same budget. Every film doesn't need a Lord of the Rings type length some types of films just work better with a shorter length.

There is even the trick of the robots are just so huge you could frame a shot of a human talking to one of the robots and all you would have to do is show a leg. Or the trick of the Autobot is talking off camera and the camera is on the human's face to get their reaction. Heck you can even use a good voice actor for several different characters.

So I don't think it was a matter of they couldn't give the robots more personality it's a matter of they just didn't want to dip into the bag of tricks to give them more.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Bay does do this. Unfortunately he does it for Lennox and co and not much at all for the Autobots (or Decepticons).

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Yea that points to he knows how to use the old trick but for some odd reason he doesn't want to use the trick with the robots.

7. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

Yeah...her character is one of those snooty sarcastic girls. But she's been given a few scenes now where that facade broke down and she was actually caring about things...and she handled those scenes well. I don't like those types of girls either (and I don't particularly care for Megan Fox's attitude in real life), but I thought her acting was pretty much spot on to what she was supposed to be portraying....the girl who's past made her keep people at arm's length. *shrug* She plays well beside Shia.

I've never seen her in anything else, so I have no idea if she's actually acting or if the character of Mikaela is just really similar to how she is in real life. So maybe she is a terrible actress who's been given a role where she can just be herself and so it works...but I thought she filled the role very well.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been asked by people why they call them "Arcee Twins", so if they aren't actually referred to as "Arcee Twins" then it's not an easy thing to tell. That actually wasn't even my point though. My point was that the only name given for them was Arcee, so I really feel the OP has no grounds for his comment. If you wanna thank Bay, thank him for framing some good shots or making a little contraversy to help push the film.

9. mentat_emre

mentat_emre Well-Known Member

QFT.

10. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Easy, there was none.

Again, unless there's another scene you're referring to.

11. lostnfound

lostnfound Contructiconvict

This.

Im really tired of people saying that Arcee was referred to as 'arcee twins'.
    You could definitely hear Lennox's pause after he said arcee.

The line was "Arcee, Twins, target coming your way!!"

12. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Ok, wrong or right, you know that isn't the topic right? If I'm wrong, and Lennox had some long pause that I and all my friends and so many others misunderstood, the topic of the thread YOU MADE is still about giving Bay props for making there be 3 seperate bike bots instead of them all being Arcee. And my point still stands that Arcee is still the only name you hear referring to the three of them. Bay and everyone else in charge did nothing to differentiate these three as seperate characters with unique personalities.

13. Covenant

Ebay:
    True & true, but...

Topics drift, conversations follow. :) 

And the subject matter is still very pertinent, wouldn't you say?

14. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I suppose it is pertinent, but I would still say just having Arcee as the only named mentioned does not help support the OP's claim or praise of Bay. And I didn't mean to get all fussy, but I don't think it's anything too crystal clear to the audience.

15. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

You bring up a good point. We all wanted alot more robots this time around, but it did hurt the flim in the sense that we barely got to know some of the characters.

16. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

did it hurt the movie or just the fans?

17. Covenant

Ebay:
    *sigh*

It wasn't that there were more robots and because of their numbers we didn't get a line of dialogue from one, some personalization for another, and so on.

It's that there were more robots and because most screentime went to the people in the film, the robots who weren't Prime, Bee, Megs, etc, didn't get a line of dialogue or some personlization & so on.

18. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

I think more the fans. I am sure their were some people on here who really liked Sideswipe or Jolt, but we're upset Sideswipe barely got screen time, and Jolt had not even one line of dialogue. I for one would have liked to have seen more of Sideswipe.

19. PB379

PB379 Autobot

I honestly think they could have saved them the budget doing the animation for the Cycle Bots when only one would have done the job with no effect on the story.

20. Heracles Max

Heracles Max Forticon Leader

Basically, everything has been well said and adequately covered.

I myself was hoping for more lines for Arcee and the other bikes. Maybe a classic shot of all three of them together engaging in a conversation. We could have developed a better handle on their personality/ies and gotten a longer look at their modes. I remember seeing them being trucked around and in the hangar in alt mode, with just a very quick glimpse of them in the battlefield in robot mode.

Unfortunately, this was an action film, and not one meant to allow us to get to know the characters. I really do wish this was not the case. TF3 will most likely be the same way, unless we could have a few TFs from both sides fighting/interacting with limited Sam/Megan time.

Plus, TFTM was good enough to fuel the TF Fandom for this long. I loved it, myself. I do not think that these live action movies will be quite as long-legged.

My two cents.

:)