Gonna buy a 360 soon, I need some info please.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by MasterOfPuppets, Sep 16, 2007.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

I'd like to know the any info regarding the red rings and prevention such as the "towel trick". I've heard about the trick but never heard it explained.

Also what accessories will I need? Controllers and the recharge pack? Cooling fan? What can I do to prevent the 360 from overheating?

I'll probably be buying an Elite.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey bro, I just posted this yesterday. http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=151271

Some suggestions in there as far as ring avoidance, though there isn't much yet, sad to say. I'll be getting mine this morning (The halo edition). I recommend wherever you get it, particularly gamestop, that you buy the extended warranty, that way if it busts, you can get it back fast instead of waiting for the repairs.

I would definitely recommend a controller charger because batteries will get expensive and games like Bioshock and Halo will drain them.

Good luck getting a working Xbox.... we're gonna need it :D 

3. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've had mine since launch, and i've never had the red rings. In fact, of the all the people I know personally that have them(well over 30 people), not a single person has had any problems. But then I and my friends/family could just be really lucky. :) 

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    whats funny is i havent had ANY problems whatsoever with my *used* xbox360

hmm

*knocks on wood* :3

5. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Info on the Towel trick here. Basically if you get the Rings of death its because the solder on the CPU or motherboard(cant remeber) is detaching and by wrapping the 360 in a towel and running the 360 you overheat it to the point were the solder reattaches the 360 CPU, but this is risky because I think I read that this voids Microsoft's repair plan so I think it would just be safer to send it to them.
    Also charger is a must. I was constantly buying boxes of Heavy duty electronics batteries until I said screw it and bought the charger. It rules.

6. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Do NOT buy any cooling accessories. They are bad, mmmkay? They draw power from the 360's power supply and tend to brick 360s.

Try to get one of the newer 360s with the Zephyr mobo and HDMI port.

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Quick Q...

Does having the console vertical or horizontal affect performance or anything at all in the long run? I have an Elite.

I'll post my experiences after getting it all setup.

8. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I think having the console vertical just looks wrong. I've always kept mine horizontal.

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Well the way it's set up, vertical would be the preferred position. Unless it has any negative consequences I'd like to leave it this way.