Gonna Be In Chicago

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Razerwire, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    From January 3-7 I'll be in Chicago! Anyone know any good place to hit up?

2. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Go get some Paco's Tacos...best Tacos I have ever had...Though it is an all Mexican neighborhood so be ready with your Spanish! :D 

3. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

This might be interesting ;) 

4. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Let me guess, that's on the south side of Chicago. :lol 

We plan to hit up Gino's East for some deep dish, the Weiner's Circle for some char dogs, and the Greek Islands for some gyros.

5. Deefuzz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Indeed! It's great stuff.

I heard good things of Gino's, another pizza joint I have eaten at several times up there is Giordanos...they are scattered all over the place. There's a cool Italian deli type place at the base of the John Hancock building that had some pretty decent arancini...And of course shops and places to see like the Lego store in the mall on Michigan avenue, the Apple store on Michigan, Navy Pier...you know...the give-ins :D 

6. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Don't need those stores. Where are the TOY STORES at? :lol 

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    lucky for you that's way before baseball season starts :lol  you sure do get to travel alot ya lucky bastage :p  Too bad that's a 7 hour drive from here.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ron you nerd.

dont forget to visit michael jordan's statue!

*dun dun dun.....dunanuh, dunanuh....*

9. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah I do huh? Chicago in January, then maybe New York or DC in February, Hawaii in March, then Providence in June/July. It's gonna be a hectic few months in the near future.

And we just found out that a friend is now living in Tokyo. Akihabara, here I come.
    Dude, I ain't about to be stuck in Chicago with no toy stores to raid if the next wave of Classics come out during that time. :lol 

10. Deefuzz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is a pretty sweet place called ToyNK (I think they have a website) it is kind of near the airport area (somewhere around Rosemont) they have all sorts of toys. Some reasonably priced, some a little overpriced.

I bought some unopened WST's there, I could buy an open regular for like 4 or 5, or the chase Magnus (which is the one I wanted) for about 30. SO I bought the unopened ones and one of them ended up being a Magnus! :D 

They also had Binaltechs, Robotmasters, and some other Japanese releases...Cool place.

11. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    there's a japanese toy store called Japanese toys and gifts near woodfield mall, near a japanese super market called Mitsua...if u really are interested, i'll find the exact location...they have a lot of imports and jap stuff...

12. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Awesome. I need to check that place out. But first, I must find the place!

Isn't BBTS near Chicago as well? Like in Palatine, IL or something?
    Sweet. I'd be definitely interested in checking that out as well!

13. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can vouch for ToyNK Ive bought several things from them on Ebay and I've had nothing but good luck with them. Like most of those stores, their ebay prices are better than their in store prices. (http://myworld.ebay.com/toynk/)

14. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah, I checked out their site yesterday. Didn't seem like they had a lot of TFs though for some reason. Or Robotech either. :( 

15. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Well, I'll be heading out there in a week. Anything I should prepare for or know about Chicago before I take off? Especially this being my first time in that city?

16. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Fool! You've scheduled your trip during the Bears' bye week. :p 

17. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Damn. Oh well, the closest I would've been to that game would probably be at a sports bar somewhere.

That or if it was too cold I'd just park my ass in my suite. :lol 

18. Deefuzz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have a Chicago style hot dog.
    Have some Chicago style pizza.
    See Navy Pier and that whole Lake Michigan area.

Thats all I got. Have fun most importantly!

19. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ahh, Mitsuwa. A great place, was able to stop in there on ym way back to O'Hare from the PC swap-out in Rockford last week. It's at the intersection of Algonquin & Arlington Heights right next to I-90. If you're on I-90 Westbound, get off at the Arlington Heights exit and head to the right from the bottom of the ramp (North, basically). From the Eastbound exit, get off, head left at the bottom of the ramp, and go under the overpass. Mitsuwa is literally right on the corner of Algonquin and Arlington heights.

They're redoing some stuff right now, so it's a bit jumbled up. The copies-of-movies rental place is still where it used to be, but the bookstore is now right by the entrance and much smaller than it was in 2004. This is because they're redoing their normal store area right now.

Food court is still there with lots of great more-or-less authentic cuisine from various stands, but be aware they're all cash-only, so bring money. The market itself is still untouched, and they had GIANT POCKY! Bought two boxes. $12 box, but at 20 or 24 pieces each, it's not bad.

The Pony Toy-Go-Round, I've been told, has moved down the street into it's own place. Sadly, I didn't get to go there this time as I was short on time, but I highly recommend checking it out. I'm sure someone there can direct you.

20. mocrzy

mocrzy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually, If I'm not mistaken, the toy store is no longer in Mitsuwa, They moved to an external location in the area (less than a mile away). Sadly I can't remember exactly how to get there from Mitsuwa ( I drive around in circles til I find the spot that is familiar) I'm sure though if you go to mitsuwa & ask, they will give you the directions. They are a little light on TF's now, but they have a TON of Gundam type models & other Macross type stuff.

As for ToyNK, I'm a little peeved with them right now, due to an e-bay auction gone bad, but who knows...I may go back to them sometime in the future after my anger wears off. I wrote back to them with an angry "lost a customer" e-mail, but things like this happen, & they were fairly quick with a refund with out a lot of hassle. I have never been to the warehouse though.