Gone With the Wind, Wizard Of Oz, More Coming To Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Joe Moore, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Blu About The Slow Release of Classic Titles On Blu-ray? Take Heart! | High-Def Digest

The Senior VP of Marketing and theatrical Catalog of Warner Bros. talks about bringing classic films to Blu-Ray. In the article he mentions a $1 Million restoration project for North by Northwest. He also says that even though they had a 2K Ultra Resolution restorations of Wizard of Oz and Gone With The Wind, they weren't happy with how they looked looked by current standards, so they are completely remastering them again.

The whole article is a really fascinating look into how they preserve older films for HD release.

2. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

This is nothing compared to teh Slow of the early DVD days.

3. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Nice, I would love to have the Wizard of Oz on Blu-Ray. Heck, I want the Original Star Wars Movies too while we are at it.

4. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    They can put out all the damn cinema classics they want, I'm still not upgrading.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I like that he mentions trying to remove every spec of dirt and grime from the prints, but they set out to preserve all original elements. Having recently watch the original Planet of the Apes, it's pretty amazing how well an old film can be preserved. And I must say I'm really looking forward to a fully restored and color corrected Wizard of Oz. The broadcast HD version had some amazing "pop" to the colors, but had some serious problems with scratches and dirt specs at times. Now please give me Clash of the Titans on Blu-Ray (which had an absolutely pristine HD broadcast a couple of years ago).

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Warner are made of win when it comes to catalogue titles. The other major studios look after thier big hitters as well, but they don't have the sheer volume of movies that Warner does nor do they make half as much effort to get lesser known pre-70s movies out on disc.

I've only got 2001, Blade Runner and Mad Max 2 from them on BD so far, but they'll be taking plenty more of my money in the future.

7. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

Dang, I got the 3 disk collectors edition already.... might be worth the double dip though.

8. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

A cool movie to see in terms of restoration is Trinity and Beyond. Its about the development of the Atomic Bomb. Neat stuff if you are into documentaries.

Basically, the guy wanted to make the movie, so he lobbied congrress to release the films of all the bomb tests that were done (there were hundreds, with lots of cameras on each test) When he got the film is was pretty much ruined. So he developed a process to go through frame by frame to restore the film of the explosions. Some of them are really amazing to see.