Golden Ticket

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Greyley, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

For 2012, Hasbro/FunPub has decided to introduce the "golden ticket" to the Botcon registration packages. For an extra $300, attendees can get some special privileges, including the opportunity to buy extra toys before everyone else, a private reception with guests, and reserved seating in the panels. (Oh, and don't forget the special cloisonne pin! :tongue: )

I'm curious what everyone's reactions are to this. Good idea or bad? Did you consider buying it, or do you think it's a waste of money? Do you think this will end up being a "scalper ticket" that will affect the availability of exclusives at the con and/or their aftermarket prices? Any chance for backlash towards golden ticket holders?

Or is there anyone out there who actually purchased a golden ticket and wants to share their motivation and expectations? (I don't intend to judge, I'm just curious. :) )

I'd love to hear what you guys think.

2. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    The ONLY reason I considered it is the complete lack of willingness FP has shown in accommodating people with Disabilities. The Ticket would get me out of the atrocious line for Package Pickup that put me in immense pain last year when I had to stand around for 4 hours with chronic back and knee pain. However if I did that it would validate them in their apathy for the disabled and the face of their greed.

3. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    This a total joke hope u guys like the 300$ seat in the first 3 rows and the meet and greet where u can't get an autograph

4. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To be honest, I think it is a good idea in theory, and worth it to some. If you have the money to do it....why not? I did consider it, but felt it would not be worth it to me. I actually enjoy the INITIAL waiting in line at botcon as I talk with friends that I never see the rest of the year.....after that, I am DONE with the lines. I waited in line for Peter Cullen's autograph in 2009 and it was well worth it, but I won't do it again. Not because its not worth it, but I have his autograph and happy with it. I don't get them to sell them (or toys that have his autograph) like some do. For me personally, other than a select few (like Peter Cullen), I don't have a huge interest in the autographs, which is one of the reasons the Golden Ticket wasn't worth it to me. If you are someone that HAS to have all the autographs of the "stars" at the con than I think it might be worth it to avoid the lines.

As far as the "scalpers ticket" you mentioned.... lets think logically....you are paying an additional $300 to have the potential to buy 3 sets of souvenirs which will cost approximately $600 for a full 3 sets. Lets say there are 7 toys as in past years...times 3....thats 21 toys for about $900 which boils down to about $43 per toy. Is that really worth it? I dunno as it really depends on how "in demand" the toys will be and no one knows that yet. Also, some will be in more demand than others. I've had a hard time selling last years Autotroopers for $50 each, but some of the others have easily sold for $75 or more. I don't think it is worth it, personally, but others might think so. If you count some of the value of the golden ticket purchase towards the other "perks", then it may be more worth it to get all those extra toys to sell, but that depends on the individual. I also DO NOT think it will effect other members from getting souvenirs as I think there will be plenty.

Backlash? What for? because someone spent extra money for convenience? I don't think so, but thats just me.

EDIT- Oh, and I just wanted to add that I DO think they should have accommodations for people with disabilities even WITHOUT having to pay for a Golden Ticket. I would be happy to let those in need get in front of me in the lines. Shame on Funpub!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Cash grab with poor bait.

6. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Big waste of money PERIOD. Use that money in the dealer room, buy some drinks and have a good time.

7. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Word.. what he said. I mean really you cant get autographs at the meet and greet?? WTF is up with that? If i paid that much i would atleast want to get some more autographs. Very lame FunPub.

8. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Thank you!

9. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I be honest I did think about it get the golden ticket only if I did not get into the custom class as I did not care for either tour they have this year. If I would of got the ticket then I would not of been able to order the bag set of toys. So I'm happy that I got the class and was able to get the bag set. The only true benfit I see with the ticket is the Wednesday night pick up, and the special time at the club store, and buying up up to 3 add on packs at once. The rest of the package I could care less about panel seating as I don't get to sit in them alot as I have a booth to run. The vip party sounds ok, but I rather be able to get the vip to sign the something I want sign over a photo sheet.

The price is way to high if you ask me, but that's my 2 cents. IF they made a ticket for those that are disabled and we could do Wednesday night pick up and got front of line for the club store I would be will to pay a small fee for that. Walk with the aid of a prosthesis left leg and foot. On bad days I need to use my crane

10. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    This.

11. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    I feel ya man, thankfully I don't have to go through what you do, but on my Bad Days, my back just locks up and it's painful to move and my left knee dislocates out of nowhere and I have to bust out the Brace and/or cane myself.

12. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's a shame that Funpub handles such things wrong. Should be a special ticket for people who need it, not a cash grab situation.

13. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    this surprises me FunPub does anything for a buck

14. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    When I first read the brochure, I was slammed drunk and it sounded awesome. Had registration been up at the time, I would've done it.

Then, the next morning, when I was back to normal, I re-read it and was very glad I didn't have the chance to splurge. It's cool, just not three hundred dollars worth of cool.

15. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I had no idea that FunPub was so irresponsible when it comes to accommodating people with disabilities. :inquisiti  You would think in this day and age that wouldn't even be legally allowed. That really needs to change ASAP.

It'll be interesting to see if the golden ticket has any impact on the toys. Mathematically the cost-to-profit ratio doesn't seem to work out in the scalper's favor, but there's still the worry of a situation where there's a shortage of toys at the con, and then a glut of them being scalped on ebay later. I hope you're right and it won't be an issue.

16. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It may be worth it for the people who can get the toys up on ebay right after picking them up. First auctions seem to go pretty high.

17. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    I actually splurged and got the Golden Ticket. I'm willing to pay $300 for this experience in large part because it's new, it's different and I don't mind being the guinea pig this time around. Admittedly, it is a bit of a gamble and certainly last year's HoF debacle did give me reason to pause and think about the value of the GT. However in the end the newness factor and other benefits simply outweighed the risk.

From my perspective, since this is the one time a year where I actually go away, leave my wife and 3 kids for 5 days, to just treat myself and hang out with fellow fans I figured why not take the plunge in an attempt to maximize my experience. This will by my 7th Botcon and I'm open to trying something different.

I'll let you all know after the convention if it's worth it but I will say the front row benefit wasn't a big deal for me. Neither is the pre-signed card/picture or whatever it turns out to be. I am looking forward to the private meet and greet even if we can't ask for autographs. I also like the idea of the pin since I collect the Botcon pins. However, I think the biggest thing for me is the early pick up for toys. I figure that's at least 3+ hours in time savings.

18. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wanted to liek the Golden Ticket but last years HoF just left such a bad taste in my mouth. I was upset enough after spending $90 (for my wife and I) and not really getting our money's worth (again IMO). I usually like having a good seat for the panels, but it won't bother me that much. It might have been better if they had announced at least a guest or 2. I got in a class this year, so I get to pick up my pack on Wednesday anyways (so no real bonus there). I don't normally buy multiples of the add ons (except for maybe the troop builders), so again no big gain there. I could of seen myself paying $100-150 for this but $300 was way out of the ball park for me. I would much rather hang out with friends I only see once a year and spend the money at the parts parties or in the dealer room.

19. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    THIS. That there is robot money. Save it for toys.

20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The biggest "benefit" of the Golden ticket is the line waiting. You're going to save quite a few hours of waiting in line, autograph lines included.

Honestly, if I had $300 bucks to spare I'd probably do it. I go to BotCon mainly for the dealer room and panels and I hate trying to juggle everything with being in the autograph lines. Is it REALLY worth $300 bucks? No, probably not, but I'd consider it.