Minor/Repaint: Goldbug

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by aledromo, Jun 21, 2012.

1. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Been a while since I posted some stuff, and I've got a new camera to try out. Still not great (back to the lighting tutorials!), but enough to show what I've been up to.

I really wanted a UN-07 to use with my Renderform head, but no one would sell me one. At least, not for less than $100. Thanks, eBay! Anyway, for $10 and an elmer's paint marker, I made my own. I actually prefer the duller tone as it's more show accurate.

I am aware of the brushstrokes, and if anyone has any tips besides practice - which trust me, I'm doing - feel free to share.

Attached Files:

2. CooljazCustoms

CooljazCustoms Autocon/Deceptibot

Ebay:
    I like it :) 

3. wheeljack2010

wheeljack2010 Constructicon

For this mold, it actually seperates fairly easy into its parts and can be spray painted for a nice even finish. The only part that doesn't is the hood and the rear section (held in by a very strong pin) which can be masked off with either a painter's masking tape or what i use - Magic tape! Just mask up the windows on the inside and outside and you're golden! The black core body/legs and biceps are all a single unit and already black, so not much need to be done with the core body. Just spray, wait a few hours, unmask, wait a day or so, then re-assemble. Then it's easier to just apply a few black dry brush applications to the needed areas.

If you want to go all drybrush, then best to apply a primer base coat that reflects the outer color you will use (i.e. a light grey for lighter colors and dark grey or black for darker colors) then apply multiple thin coats to every part. Yes, it takes awhile to finish, but the result is much better. Hope this helps!

4. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    It's pretty good for paint markers!

5. aledromo

Thanks for the interesting tips. You do anything specific to dry the parts after you spray them? I've seen weird rigs set up. I think based on the time commitment and the brushstroke issue, I might be ready to try some sprays. How durable are the finishes?

Speaking of brushstrokes: Oh man, Jason. You should check out my abortive Knockout.

Nobody sells a shade that looks like UN-07! I had to improvise.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Looks nice and clean.

7. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the paint looks really good, I could easily live with that paint job, and barely see these brushstrokes.

I like the dull shade of gold too.

8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Great job. now seeing all these customs that use the third party head,(which is a great head) I am glad i went with the snow cat head mod for mine. Just to keep it slightly different. I don't say that to take away from your work here. Its fantastic.

9. aledromo

Thanks. I actually didn't know about the snow cat thing until your post. It's a really good likeness. You have any pics up?

10. DragonPrime120

DragonPrime120 "Gah,Ughh,Grunt, Ahh!"

News Credits:
    Was Dat The Bumblebee I Sold You? I Hope so Cuz It Looks Better In Your Hands Needless To Say.

11. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

12. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

That's one of the better Goldbugs I've seen.

13. aledromo

Wow. Thanks. If you're talking about mine then that's a really high compliment.

If you're talking about Rumble's: I know!