"gold plastic syndrome" spreading to other toylines?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Blitzwing256, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

I've been in the process of digging out all my older bootlegs and older 80s toys, and amoungst them I found one of my bins of voltron stuff, I've been in the process of putting them all together and I came across Trendmaster's STealth Voltron, a pretty crappy re-imagining of voltron from the 3d show, a toy i maybe played with once or twice, I decided to combine him to put him on the shelf and I was trying to attach the green lion, and I heard a loud snap!, something inside him broke and is rattling around....kinda sucks, I went a little more carefully and attached red very slowly and he was fine...I think went to attach the blue lion also slowly and heard another crack..and parts of the plastic just crumbled away!, even more carefully I was able to hook up yellow with no incident (as well as another blue lion) just trying to put the sword in greens hand snapped his jaw off.

I know the toy wasn't this brittle the first time I played with it, and it was stored in a nice safe place (everyting else in the same bin is just fine including other trendmaster voltrons)

has anyone else experienced this? and other then the well known g1 gold plastic syndrome (and g2) are there any other toys that suffer from this problem?

(I do have some 90s joes that have the same gold parts that i'm afraid to even touch)

heres a few pictures of stealthor:

[​IMG]
    also notice how the black plastic looks almost coroded:
    [​IMG]

Starting to make me fearfull of going through some of my older stuff in fear of it crumbling away to dust.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I guess most toylines must have used similar materials. At the time I doubt anyone really thought of durability - these were, after all, designed as kids toys for rough play.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    You'd think that kids toys designed for rough play would've been built durable, though.

4. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I think the key point here is that these are degrading with time. They definitely seemed durable at the time, and I'm sure that as long as they didn't crumble before the vast majority of people threw them away, they met the design spec.

5. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Hmm I haven't really done anything with my stealth Voltron lately, but now I'm not sure I want to either.

6. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    All my stuff is now in cabinets with blu tac holding it in place. I have got stuff from mid 90`s lines staright off the cards recently and armor has just disintergrated in my hands,

7. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Probably unrelated, but the stinger on my Legends Scorponok from just last year has completely crumbled and disintegrated.

8. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Thinking about it more (but I haven't gone to check them firsthand) I want to say that stealth Voltron was kind of shoddy in quality, really.