Gold Plastic Sindrome in the New Leader Starscream?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Viper08, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi guys, i was just transforming the new Leader class Starscream (movie screamer) and realized that it has tons of gold moulded plastic. I was just wondering are these new plastics they use nowadays are as susceptible to GPS as the old G1 ones were?, most of this gold plastic is located in the big joint that connects his upper torso to his legs. Can anyone with this figure (and a little more experience with GPS) tell me if this looks like a candidate for it later on, or are the new plastics practically immune to GPS? should i even be transforming this guy?, he is one of the sturdiest figures i own and then i saw the gold plastic!!!
    Thanks guys for all the help.

2. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    I was under the impression that they fixed that issue. Time will tell I guess.

3. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Didn't First Aid already develop a cure for it?

4. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Does it have any swirls in it? I think the Protoform Screamer from the first move still had GPS. So it wasnt that long ago.

5. Viper08

News Credits:
    Where could i find this info?

6. Viper08

News Credits:
    If by swirls you mean little like crack lines in the plastic, yes but only one or 2, and i dont have any gold plastic figures to compare to, but this one seems a little different from the pics i saw (from other GPS sufferers), so that's why i was wondering if anyone that has this figure would be able to tell. I remember that Peaugh mentioned something about this GPS on his review of the fig, but he wasn't sure (plus his figure wasnt a full retail figure at the time of his review). So i don't know.
    Any more info on this would be appreciated; thanks guys

7. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    The plastic that suffers from GPS is apparently no longer in use at Hasbro, and the one case of Protoform Starscream having GPS was from someone who painted over the toy.

Here. Read some on it.

8. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I would be more concerned about ROTF Lockdown's soft plastic hand and hook than I would be about Starscream. It's definitely -not- the GPS gold plastic. I've seen enough of it to know... It'll be fine.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Then there's more than one case. Because I sure as hell didnt paint mine. also factor in that everyone that has had the problem isnt going to be part of the online fandom to share their horror stories.

leader starscream should be safe. his plastic is unlike any other toys that have had GPS problems, regardless of what it looks like. This stuff is sturdy.

10. Viper08

News Credits:
    Look at the dates on the posts preceding your post; this is how long it's taken me to actually get this joke  (it was a joke; right?)
    It was very good though 
    I'm still on the fence about leader screamer, I don't know; all that plastic in that huge joint in the torso looks swirly to me, I really hope that he's not gonna suffer from GPS, it's one of my favorite figures in my collection.
    Enough time has passed where maybe some more info has come to light, if anyone has any updates please let me know.
    Thanks guys

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I still transform mine a lot, and considering the force put on those parts at times, I think if he was gonna break, he would have by now. Those parts feel a lot different from parts that normally suffer from GPS.