going wild on Asians

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tony77tony77, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not gonna lie the "ching chong ling long ting tong" part was funny as hell!! LOL!!

3. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
  4. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If she had any to begin with.

5. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Even if she did, how would they communicate? Her chingchong isn't very good.

6. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I'll agree that a poster in Chinese language is not always necessarily intended to exclude non-Chinese people, but more to cater for Chinese folk who may not be confident in speaking and reading English. And it will undoubtedly seem more homely and welcoming for many Chinese people to read messages in their own mother tongue. But if you write messages in a foreign language, you automatically limit the people who will come into contact and interact with your group. It'd be ideal if Chinese societies in universities wrote their posters in both Chinese and English.

Even with my poor grasp of Cantonese language, there's something about the term "gwailo" that I dislike. I could never put my finger on it since I can't say what the exact meaning of the word is and what its connotations are. But just from how I've heard it used amongst Chinese people, I instinctively never liked the sound of it.

I can understand why a lot of Chinese people would be drawn to and seek the company of 'their own' people when in a foreign country. It's easier, more comfortable and familiar to be with others who speak your native language and know your native culture and customs. But I maintain the belief that if you want to live in another country, you should do your best to adapt and integrate into and share with that country's culture and society, not draw dividing lines, sticking only to your own group of people and creating a foreign group isolated from the surrounding cultural herd. That's what can lead to mistrust and misunderstanding of people from other cultures.

There are things about both Western and Eastern cultures that I dislike, but I certainly also see the positive attributes of both. I always think it'd be great if we could combine the humanitarian and ethical principles of the West with the work and respect principles of the East; put together the guiding heart of the West with the working body of the East. In the West, the rights and capabilities of the individual are promoted whilst in the East, the unity of the whole gives rise to admirable discipline and efficiency. Western and Eastern cultures really can benefit from one another to create a more balanced and better society, if only we can learn to get past the racial differences.

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    The terms gwailo for Cantonese and gaijin for Japanese pretty much are negative connotations of Westerners.

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oh, btw, did I forget to mention that I myself am Chinese?

Just thought I'd point that out...

9. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    My parents use the term gwailo too. And gwaijay (sp?) for the little bastards that my sister plays with (when I say that I mean the type that walk around thinking they own the place and do the whole 'ching chong' thing). Hilariously my sister (who's been speaking Chinese for 12 years and has now stopped talking in chinese to her parents (wtf?)) thinks they are talking about ghosts when they say it.

10. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

You know, I've learned more about asian cultures in this thread alone than I have all year.

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
  12. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

Apparently she is withdrawing from UCLA from an article I just read.

13. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

14. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, it does literally translate to white ghost. I think theyre supposed to use gwai poh for chicks tho, not gwai loh. Depends on the region i guess.

15. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Well I guess they're using the definition of harassment in its literal term. Even in the work place, one incident is defined as "harassment" if its sexual in nature, racial in nature and what-not (so as long as it makes anyone feel the environment is now hostile or if they create it, and also if the "actions" and statements are not wanted etc etc etc yadda yadda yadda). So if this was in a workplace, the law professor would then say she did harass people? In general? Sheesh. I swear.....this is stupid. What are we now? Back in the 60's? Freedom of speech is one thing....abusing it is another.

I stand by my firm belief that your freedom of speech ends when it begins to offend me. (And I'm pretty thick skinned too)

16. SCPrime

News Credits:
    Thing is, if she had made this rant (even a portion of it) during class then it probably could have been considered harrassment and disciplinary action can be considered. But the rant was done outside of a class/workplace. The university can't/shouldn't do anything about it.

I'm sure the university is glad she is withdrawing though. They would have to go out of their way to protect her from all the harrassment she has been/will get.

17. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    I know. I just hate this legal babble when they know deep down inside it was wrong. But yet...they still have to push the letter of the law in our faces. *sigh*.....

18. SCPrime

News Credits:
    There was a case in a california school where 2 kids wore t-shirts with the american flag printed on it during Cinco De Mayo. They wanted to show their American pride. The kids got suspended. The principal claimed that the 2 kids wearing the t-shirts could have incited racial violence by doing that. BTW, the 2 kids were of Mexican descent.

19. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Oh I remember that one. Its stupid. Some people are just generally on some kinda stupid binge these days. Its as if they can't get enough of stupidity that they have to embrace it and embody it to its fullest effect.

20. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Does it ? I thought was just 'ghost man'. Yeh Gwai poh for women and Gwai mui for young girls.