Going to Venice, Italy - Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darkprime, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm being sent to a World Conference on Computational Mechanics being held in Venice, Italy next week. I'll have a little bit of time to myself, and was wondering if anyone here has been there before. If so, any suggestions on things to see and do, especially after 4 or 5 pm? Restaurants? Oh, and do I need to bring any special adapters to use my electronics over there, such as a laptop (NTSC vs PAL)?

2. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    watch out for pigeon poop in the square.

and get some gelato or however its spelt, sooo good in Venice.

Also, I cant remember the name of the restaurant, but the one with the green and red awnings in this picture on the right side was awesome :lol  this is just off the Rialto Bridge

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Remember.

'X never ever marks the spot!'

Seriously though, Venice is pure win. Don't go to the eastern end of the island after dark (further east of St Marcos sq) , apparently it may get dodgey.

There are no Nightclubs in Venice. The only place that looks like one is actually a brothel upstairs. This is near the Academia Bridge.

When you go for dinners, just order the local house wine. Its always fantastic and very cheap.

Also, keep an eye on your feet, there's a lot of walking around Venice. So pack a light bag as well. Actually, travel light to Venice too. Once you get to the island you'll have to carry your luggage around to wherever it is you're staying. So heavy suitcases are not a good idea. Even wheeled suitcases have problems navigating the cobblestones. If you can, get a big camping rucksack.

4. Darkprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's good advise about the suitcases. My wife is coming, so she'll need to hear that message. My conference is on LIDO Island (that eastern one I think you were talking about). I plan to leave that island no later than 4 each day. I'm also staying at The Best Western Sant Elena, on the eastern side of Venice.

5. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Can you google map it?

I think there's actually only one toy shop in Venice, I can't remember the location (I found it on foot) and it sometimes has some decent (if overpriced) things. But probably nothing new to Americans.

I picked up my Alt Jazz from there. Never saw Alt Jazz in the UK, but found him on holiday in Venice. Weird.

6. Darkprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  7. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Take a water taxi out to Murano for a a glass blowing demonstration.

8. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Seeing as the wife is going with you, I can recommend Burano, famous for lace/embroidery.

Also, check the opening times for stuff you want to see as soon as you get there. Some places (like the glass blowing factory) are only open to the public on certain days of the week.

Seeing as you're over there there's two things that could happen, you'll either get a water ferry to pretty much take you there, or you'll have to walk the length if the island from the Car park on the western side (where normally people end up from the airport).

I was warned about the north Eastern section of the island by my Uni Tutor who travels to Venice every year, apparently things do happen. After dark keep to the main streets he said. But really, its probably no different than the NY subway. ;) 

Bridge of Sighs is a good one. Walk through it and chances are someone will propose to their other half in there. I was going to propose to my wife, but when we were there some other guy ahead of us dropped to one knee and proposed to his other half. Erk. In the end I proposed on the footbridge between Burano and Mazzorbo, which a a great view of the lagoon and the city. Which worked out better for me. Sweet.

9. sharke

sharke canadian piece of sh*t

leave the gun, take the canoli

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Explore the place on foot. I didn't bother with a boat ride thing as they were super expensive. If you're lucky it'll flood a bit while you're there and you can walk around on these temporary raised wooden platforms they put out. It's a pretty awesome place.