Going to traffic court tomorrow, any help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trippanator, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    Well, back in October a buddy and I were driving out to Walmart to look for transformers. I had just got my car, scion xb, Like two days before and I was my first time out driving it. About 6 is when it started getting dark outside so I wanted to cut our search short at walmart and go to Toys R Us tomorrow since the police were everywhere. So we get to this intersection and theres no one at it on either side just 2 cars in front of me and 1 to my left. So as I approach the intersection the light is still green. As I go through it the light turns yellow, the light hangs out in the middle of the intersection which is quite large. So I cant stop because i'm in the middle of it..So I keep going through and go about half a mile and I get pulled over. He asks did you try to catch the light then cuts me off and says he is with Operation Rolling Thunder and blah blah then says he's gonna have the K9 unit search around my car. Then walks back up and gives me a ticket for failure to obey a traffic signal. So now I have court Friday at 7:30 AM. I already know how to act and what to wear..but do any of you have any tips on what to do? Im already nervous as hell about it. Oh and I tool a defensive driving course about three weeks after I got the ticket voluntarily to make sure I myself knew the rules of the road properly, Should I tell the Judge that I took this class? I have the certificate of completion for it.

2. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

I would bring proof of taking the class, like a certificate. Present it to him and tell him you made a mistake and took the class to better educate yourself.
    And be respectful. :p 

Chuck

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

As far as I know, if you are in the middle of the intersection while it is yellow, and then turns red, you have the rightofway because you are obstructing traffic. But that is on a case by case basis and is dependent on your local laws. If you can get off with a warning and have the ticket waived becaus you took a traffic safety test. No sense in ticking off the judge.

4. lilgreenlude93

lilgreenlude93 Well-Known Member

In FL, if the light is yellow when your car enters the intersection (past the stop bar) you are legally suppose to clear the intersection. That is how they time the yellow light, from stop bar to opposing stop bar at avg traffic speed of through roadway. We also have a 2 second time delay of all time red because of all the red light running. Most peolpe get the misconception that the physical placement of the light is where you must pass under before it turns red, its really the stop bar. So as long as you are at pass the bar when yellow you should be fine, but don't speed up as it makes them think you were trying to get by the light. Same goes for right on red. Stop completely at or before the bar and creep up to view traffic and proceed. Also people the cross walk is NOT the stop bar, if you stop there then you legally ran a red light. By the way, I design roads for a living.

5. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Tell them when you passed the light it jumped from green to yellow, but you determined the safe thing to do was to keep driving and clear the crossing, instead of slamming your brakes out of sheer panic?

Seems there were no cars behind you, but then again, it was getting dark and the split second the traffic light jumped to yellow isn't enough to determine if there's cars behind you or not. Oh and the obvious fact that you were already ON the crossing.

What did the police officer expect you to do? Come to a hault in the middle? :p ..

Sounds to me you just ran into a bad cop. Operation Rolling Thunder, laughing my ass off. Looks like the typical cop that has no command whatsoever at home and vents his frustration on the road by handing out tickets as much as he can. (no offense to the proper police officers who DO know what they're doing!)

Now, maybe the situation over here is different then over there, but this has happened quite alot, and the problem is they're the law, so most of the time they're deemed 'right'.

I guess you just have to be honest. You didn't do anything wrong, unless you really pumped some gas, and hope they let you go with a warning. Probably not though.

6. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    Wow thanks everyone, And lol no I didnt pump the gas if youve ever taken a ride in a XB you would know the acceleration is awful. But I guess I should also bring up the fact that on the ticket he wrote I was in a 2007 Toyota Element..All three of those are wrong when it comes to my car. But my buddy who was with me in the car is going with me so maybe that will help.

7. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

You may not be able to talk your way out of the ticket, especially with local budget shortfalls these days. I don't think you did anything wrong though.

8. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    in my experience (having gotten 3 traffic tickets) you dont really have to dress up in traffic court, they hurry you along, and you have one small chance of pleading guilty or not guilty. If guilty, you pay your fine and you can present that certificate OR they put on a 3 month probation period where you cannot get any other tickets. If not guilty, they schedule you for a trial and if the police officer doesnt show, they dismiss the case most of the time.

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think if they make a mistake like that then it voids the ticket. I may be wrong. But I'd point that out to the judge.

Also love your car choice. I've got a 2008 XB myself. Love it. The acceleration isn't that terrible. Small car, lots of interior space, and good pickup for a small car.

10. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    Thanks Rattrap, I really like the body style of the earlier models hence my choice of the 05. Its good to know another scion lover :lol 

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I would find out where the judge has parked at the court and back repeatedly into their car while yelling 'Innocent!!!' and smooshing your bare buttocks up against the windscreen.

That might not help your case though.

Anyways, I'd present the certificate for the driving course regardless of which way you wanna play it as it'll look good for you and show you care. I'd also point out the cop got your info wrong on the ticket as it shows he's not very good with details which could also suggest he pulled you up on something that wasn't actually an offense. I suppose you could always check into exactly what applies with lights and the position of your car and what to do where and when so you've got some legal stuff behind you.
    Depends really if you just wanna be picky and drag it all out and maybe dig yourself a hole where the end is deeper hassles, or get it over quick and be out of there. What's the worst just going along with it will result in anyway? A fine?

12. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh so it is an 05.. yeah those had worse acceleration..

13. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Just yell..."If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit!"

14. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    I'll do these tomorrow morning. So if I don't come back you all know what happened

15. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I think you should go in there, cross your arms, and say "Yo Majesty, if it pleases the audience and the court. Fuck, fuck, fuck the police. That is all ya worshipfulness."

16. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Make sure you go dressed professionally! The fact that you show you are serious from the moment you walk into the court room can only help your case. Remember, the Judge is a human being to so the best thing to do if first present your situation. If the judge doesn't agree with what you've presented, give statistical information/certificate for driving course/any additional information including the officer's mistakes.

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

^....yep, which is why I recommend showing up like below.

[​IMG]

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    What lilgreendude had to say about lights and stop-bars is truth. If the front bumper was past the stop bar before the light changes you haven't run the light. HOWEVER in arguing against an officer it is going to be his word against yours and without evidence in your favor you don't stand much of a chance. And anymore an error on the ticket isn't a magic out instance.

Your best chance is to show up, be truthful, have that certificate, and hope the officer doesn't show up.

19. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is your only chance. If the officer shows, it's over.

20. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

My dad gave this advice to my friend who has two tickets to take care of this month: in case that you can't fight it and you are forced to pay the ticket, you can always ask for a reduction in fine. If you do, be prepared to give a good reason just in case(i.e. the economy being rough on you). The reasoning is that the income the courts receive from all their sources, including fines, must be all spend. They cannot allow themselves to have a surplus or they will be given less funding come next year's budget. He found this out after going to traffic school a few times. Had my old man known about this, it would have literally saved him a lots of money in fines. Hope this helps.