Going to Tokyo! TF's?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Retrospex, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Retrospex

Retrospex Plastiholics Anonymous

It will be my first time going to Japan and yes I have some places I have to hit.

Downtown Tokyo
    The Bape Store
    Bandai Museum
    Fuji Q

But my #1 thing to do is look for Transformers.

Can anybody shed some light on places to go to buy Transformers? Anyplace will do in Tokyo or Osaka. I'm willing to look hard but I do need some guidance and without it I'm a bit lost.

Your help is greatly need and appreciated!

Cheers,
    Spe><

2. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    If you hit the Bape store, let people know if they're doing any decent trainer styles, there's a good chap... bought a pair in NY nearly two years ago and they're now pretty destroyed, really ought to get some more :) 

3. Retrospex

No problem... I plan to stay in that store and talk to everyone. I'll take some pics of the new kicks and send them to ya!

~Spe><

4. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

I went to japan for the first time last october...I had been wanting to go since 9 years old. However collecting wise I spent most of my time looking for Godzillas, which I probably have more of than transformers.

however in my godzilla search i visited the district of Akihabara in tokyo. AKA "electric town" There's many shops selling electronics and ipods and laptops etc., but there're also many hobby shops. You just have to wander around and go into the buildings which have many little shops in each one. There's one shop that had a life-size (i.e., about 6 foot tall) optimus prime for the equivalent of $5000, IIRC. I have a pic of that somewhere in my camera phone. But there were a few shops there that sold transformers...including a store that had a pretty impressive glass display featuring a lot of G1s that were marked in huge Roman letters: NOT FOR SALE.

5. justinRODimus

justinRODimus Well-Known Member

i hit up bape la this weekend on melrose and i wan't impressed. i know it's supposed to be expensive and that's not what bothered me. what really bothered me was the 2 huge security guards in suits standing there as we shopped. it made the vibe pretty uncomfortable as we looked through stuff. i realize they're stuff is expensive and security would be needed but the two guys in suits made it so tacky. i hit up Johnny Cupcakes, i dunno if you're familiar with the line, but the founder/designer was there and so friendly it made for a much better vibe than bape (and i think the bapestas are fugly, to be honest)

let us know how it is at the bape overseas :) .

and as for transformers: i'd try to get some henkeis and encores (if you got room).

6. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know Ruven has mentioned of a transformers shoppe near the Sega Club in Akihabara.

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Be prepared to spend at least half a day in Akihabara. My advice is to just walk up one side of the street and then down the other side. Any store you enter has a good chance of having stuff in it. Jot down prices! Price comparison is vital! Write down what you saw, how much, and where you saw it so you can return there if you can't find a better deal elsewhere.

There's also a store in Ueno if you ever have time to visit called Yamashiroya. It's right across from the Ueno JR station. There's this huge yellow sign. You can't miss it. Their phone number is 03-3831-2320 and their website is ƒ„ƒ}ƒVƒ￾ƒ„ ￾@‚¨‚à‚¿‚á‚Ì’Ê￾M”Ì”„‚Í‚±‚¿‚ç‚Ü‚Å￾I. Prices can be a little high though.

Also, if you ever happen to come across one of the big Bic Camera department stores, they usually have a decent TF selection. When I was there this past March the shelves were exploding with Encore and Henkei stuff.

8. TF@TM

TF@TM Lucky Draw Collector

News Credits:
    We spent two or three days in Akihabara when we went, even then we did not cover everything. But you will find a store near to the station that seller testshots, lucky draws and other rare items as well as normal Transformers. Saw a load of overpriced Animated samples at the time. I can't remember the name of the store, but you're bound to pass it. Also make sure to check out the Mandarake store, especially if you like series bibles, scripts and things like that.

9. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I know what you mean about the Bape stores being overbearing & a lot of the stuff being, frankly, a bit crap. But that's why it'll be good to hear if they've got some good designs and colourways going on again, instead of garish stuff for chart rapper wannabees... hopefully Spex'll have a good visit

10. Nagaoka

Nagaoka Well-Known Member

The last two times I went to Japan/Tokyo I was not yet interested in Transformers. Went to Akihabara looking at video games mostly. However, even though I can't tell you where to find great Transformers I will say that for just plain souvenir shopping I highly recommend going to Asakusa's famous shopping street in front of the Sensouji temple. It's very easy to get to by subway, I think it's right there as soon as you get off the stop.

11. Retrospex

Wow! It's amazing to see how many of you are experienced in all things Japan.
    Thanks for the info. It seems that Akihabara is THE place to go. Perhaps a full day of wandering around and jotting prices ( thanks for the tip Razerwire ;)  ) is the smart thing to do before buying. I googled it to look at some pics of the area and "Electric Town" looks to be so much fun by just being there!

Mobb One: I've gotta see that 6 foot Prime.

justinRODimus: Security guards for Bape? LOL. Hopefully it's not so uncomfortable in Tokyo.

Shark Jumper: Sega Club? That's that huge arcade? So did Ruven mention an actual Transformers shoppe that sold only TF's?

Razerwire: That shop Yamashiroya looks mighty loaded. How far is that place? And the Bic Camera department store is now on the hit list. Cheers!

TF@TM: 3 days and not all covered? Whoa. I'm looking to get a a couple of rare TF's if I can find them. I'm hitting that shop near the station. Thanks for the lead. What kind of lucky draws were there? :D 

Rijie78: Thanks for the good wish, I'm 2 weeks there so I'm sure I'll come back pretty happy.

Nagaoka: Asakusa's shopping street? So... the subway is call Asakusa?

I really appreciate all the insight guys. Again, I would be lost without direction. I didn't even know about Akihabara.... amazing! Any other cool things that are a must?

~Spe><

12. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  13. Nagaoka

Nagaoka Well-Known Member

The stop will be called Asakusa, if I recall correctly. I think the place I refer to is called the Nakamise arcade? It's easy to find. Again, it's just for regular souvenir shopping. A lot of really great shops there, like a marketplace, and then you can visit the temple for Kannon.

I remember when going to Akihabara with my mom getting horribly, horribly lost, despite having been there a year before with my japanese aunt. A little old Japanese lady who didn't know english offered to help us (I knew a fair bit of Japanese, but being horrendously shy and nervous it left me nearly that entire trip).

She led us to the proper area and somehow managed to scrape together enough words of english to convey to us the idea that her daughter was studying in america. Cool ^_^. Anyways, uh, make sure you know how to get there. I guess that's what I'm trying to say. The subways can be confusing, like in any city. Many people will be willing to help you and practice their english at the same time. Most people volunteered without us asking. That little old lady I'll remember the most though.

14. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yamashiroya's in Ueno right across from the Ueno JR Station. How far it is depends highly on where you're staying.

There's Bic Camera's in many places. The two I went to were in Shinjuku and Ginza. The Ginza one had a pretty impressive toy department. The Shinjuku one not as impressive but decent.

Oh and most stores, minus department stores, do not allow you to take pics of their merchandise!

15. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

Sorry for the blurry pics...it was on my camera phone and I was trying to do it quickly and discretely due to no pictures signs all over the place....also i don't know how to post thumbnails from photobucket so apologies if the page loads slow!

[​IMG]

here is one with some dude looking at some toys at the bottom rack right in front of me, to give a sense of how big Optimus is

[​IMG]

lastly here is a shop that had these on display

[​IMG]

Also someone mentioned mandarake...that is a good shop. There's one in shibuya...I forget where it is exactly but it's about an 8 minute walk form the subway station. Google for more info.

If you really want to go a bit further...there's an out lying place in Tokyo called Nakano...it's on the JR line if i recall correctly. There's a "mall" of sorts pretty near the train station...there're several mandarake stores there, as each store specializes in something (comics, manga, dvds/vhs, vinyl toys like Godzilla, mechas like gundam and transformers, etc.) as well as various toy shops and the like. When looking for Godzillas I found most of my vintage purchases there...I don't recall seeing any G1s but I had arrived at the mall 30 minutes before closing, as well as having proper vision in only 1 eye (i had lost my contact lense) so it's very likely they had a lot of stock...i just wasn't looking for it.

also about bape...the one here in soho in manhattan is quite small...the one in harajuku is a bit bigger. also i think there's a Bape hair salon also in harajuku...i didn't go there but i heard the haircuts are extremely expensive...maybe you can go there and tell us what the dills

16. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't recall, but I remember he got some used ones that still had packaging and were in good condition along with new ones.

17. Retrospex

Holy moly

Tokyo is awesome. It's like New York on steriods but the people are nicer.

I went to the Toys R Us in Ikebukuro and found Henkei TF's $16 deluxes and $24 for voyagers. They had the reissue Skywarp and Thundercracker double pack for $49 and Omega Supreme for $89. Needless to say I bought a lot of Henkei's.

That shop in Asakusa at the temple sported TF's but were regular prices that I found back home in Toronto. No vintage stuff found yet. That's what I'm after.

This place is Gundam and Power Ranger city. There is no comparison its popularity. For every 1 TF i have to rifle through 1000 Gundams. :D 

Oh... I checked out the Bape store. Broke down and bought a pair of Bape Sta's for close to $180. Ouch but hell their nice.

I'm heading to Akihabara right now. I'm using all the leads you guys gave me. Thank you!

Oh... I met up with FR33DOMGUNDAM on the boards out here. Man... what a great time! 2 pairs of eyes are better than 1.

Spe><

18. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    How much is a plane ticket to Tokyo?

19. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

If you find one get a Trans-Scanning Optimus Prime or Bumblebee. Well worth it IMO

20. miasboytoy

miasboytoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    any other suggestions? im going next yr!