Going to look at new cars today. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TFPrime, Jul 8, 2011.

1. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, last week my trusty Blazer went and died on me. Almost 15yrs old, 5 of those years on my watch..it gave it's all. Poor thing just wouldn't turn over anymore. Which means it's probably my starter. The whole electrical system works just fine still. But nothing from the engine. But, it's done it's time and all and now, although a bit sooner than I planned by about 2 months and all I have to now go look for something new.

This is will be the first time I'm buying something from a dealer off a lot instead of from someone I know. I've lived my life on buying used cars on peoples front lawns and drive ways, everything under 4K and just used as long as I could. This is the first time I'm looking into getting a 10K car loan, and using 3K in cash as down payment to go and buy something new..or, well, newer. I'm still planning on used, Unless I can find something new under 10K that would fit the bill.

Anyways..Just posting and thinking out loud..i've never actually done this before, the whole loan and dealer..any info or advice?

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I would look at consumer car guide first and compare vehicles your interested in so you could check out what factory warranties they offer and such. Then go test drive and dont commit to anything until your sure what you want. If you can haggle, go for it...

Consumer car guide will also show you common problems with used vehicles so you know what to expect

3. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^This. Most used car salesmen should be treated like shark IMO. Thus, any interest you show to any particular vehicle is like the smell of blood to them. Its probably good that you're getting a loan first. I always try to avoid the loans they try to get for you primarily because of the interest rates they try to nail you with. They may seem nice....but just be careful. Know what you're getting into if you can, get to know what YOU want for yourself and don't let them pressure you into getting anything.

Oh and don't forget to ask for a carfax report too :wink: 

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Are you a Costco member?

I'd suggest using their price as a starting point to shop around the dealers. Costco pricing is usually a couple of hundred dollars above invoice, I think.

What you do is you find out from Costco what dealerships are a part of their program, go to that dealership and ask them for the Costco price on the car you want. If you end up wanting to buy that car from the dealer you got the Costco price at, it's no haggle. That Costco price is set with them. But what you can do is take that price and go to other dealerships and see if they can beat it.

The Costco Auto Program is a pretty useful tool as a starting point in buying a new car.

5. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the Starter is an easy fix....especially in a high riding Suv you can do it in your yard.

Buy a Ford. The resale will tank but they last forever if you take care of them.

6. TFPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm actually considering leasing new. I was looking at a Hyundai Ellentra 2012 for 169$ a month, 1500$ down, 3yr 12000 miles. I can't afford to buy new, I can get a loan and buy used. I have 3000$ cash to put down. I can probably get a loan of at least/most 10K at 5% interest thru my credit union, and my insurance should only go up about 150$ a year so not too bad there..

Buy used..or lease new..hmmm

7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Research, research, research, research, research, and more research.

Don't just dive into it.

8. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Personally, I'd buy used. When you lease a car, once the lease is up, you give it back. And then what? Lease another car? Sure....if you like. But buy used....yeah its used....but then its yours.

9. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Leasing has no equity. It's like throwing away money to borrow a car for 3 years. Coming down off a Blazer, a new Elantra is going to feel like a cheap piece of shit. Hyundai has come a long way, but a polished turd is still a turd. In the $13k range you can get a fairly well equipped, low mileage Trailblazer or GMC Envoy, unless of course you're looking for better fuel mileage...

10. TFPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it was a 97 chevy blazer that from the start of ownership in 2005 i think, it's been problems..I'd welcome a piece of shiny turd right now. I know it's no equity, but, much like my living..I don't see myself ever being a home owner--might change, but not now..I don't mind renting where I live. No maintenance no problems, just call landlord, no shoveling or plowing, nothing. I've lived my entire adult life buying used cars and then paying for their problems soon after..I'm TIRED of seeing a check engine light..or worrying what that noise is, or did I just see smoke. And frankly on my paycheck, even a 250$ monthly payment would be a bit much..I'd love to buy a new car sure, but, it's not within my means financially really. I could PROBABLY pull it off, but not likely..not without some major hitches.

11. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

Volkswagen turbo deisel. These things are the most effiecient and long lasting car in any class. I drove mine about 500 kilometers, which i believe is about 300 miles and it cost me $8.53 to fill after my trip, and that was in an area where fuel is more expensive than most places. Also my friend has a vw turbo deisel that we used to use in high school 15 years ago and it still runs fine with 850000+ kilometers. Its tough to beat these numbers and if longevity and effieciency are your goals, then you have found your car. They are pretty quick too.

12. Wheelie

Wheelie Riding on Grimlock!

Any diesel will outlast and outperform a gas engine. I also agree that a VW TDI is the way to go. But then again I'm biased when it comes to diesels. I drive a 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD duramax and plan on getting a VW. :p 

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you do plan on getting one, take it and have a mechanic give it a look over first to make sure it is fine.

14. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Leasing is you financing the depreciation. You have the option to buy at the end of the lease, but its at the price the car would go for used at that time.

I'd fix the Blazer as a starter isn't that hard to replace. This way you're not so desperate and less likely to get screwed by the used car salesman.

15. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This..

My dad and i have done it and it's not hard at all.

16. OptimusTron97

OptimusTron97 I like the red water

Just look for the shiny ones. That is what I would do.

17. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Fix the Blazer if you can. Right now used car prices are about 30% higher than they were just a few years ago, due to a myriad of reasons. And leasing is one of the worst options you can take when getting a car. But like others have advised, do lots of research before you even set foot on a car lot. Know what you want and how much you will pay for it, don't budge, and don't be afraid to walk away. Most car salesmen will then call you and offer you a better deal than they offered before you walked out.

Just remember, the car dealer needs your business. You don't need them.

Oh, and one last thing. It might not be your starter. It could be your battery/battery connections. My wife's car had the same issue a few weeks ago. All I have to do was clean the battery connections and buy a new battery and the car is running great.

18. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    This. You should know what you want before you even step on a car lot. Otherwise, you're just a mark.

Also, the age old question between leasing and buying really comes down to the amount of miles you drive and whether you will want to/be in a position($) to get into a new car in another three years. Also, with leasing you're basically paying for the depreciation, which is always the most during the first three years. The payments are cheaper, but you'll be putting another down payment down in three years on top of whatever you put down now, so be aware of that when you're looking at your finances.

19. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Fix the Blazer to buy time so you can do proper research and get the right vehicle at the right price for you. Lots of great tips here to help you get started. With the blazer fixed and running, you would probably get more money for trading it in than just sending it off to the wrecking yard.

20. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    First and foremost this!

I would buy used as then its yours and you can carry the amount of insurance your comfortable with and not what your required too by the dealership your leasing from.

Also on used cars, depending on what you have in mind and how much the cash for clunkers program was utilized in your area you might find the selection of used cars to be a bit spotty due to many used vehicles being taken off the roads permanently.