Going to London

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grandum, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From what I understand the UK market is abysmal compared to the US one in terms of getting non-movieverse figures.

However...abysmal is a step up from the Swedish market so I thought I'd have a go at it :p 

Now, what stores would you recomend in the London area that sells transformers from the CHUG genre?

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Forbidden Planet will probably have a few sourced through Diamond, rather than Hasbro UK. This would mean 'stuff' later than Wave 2, although i'm not sure exactly what they have at the moment.

Orbital Comics may have something or other,but i think they're more focused on older toys.

You could ask in the UK sightings thread... or in the UK Toy discussion thread, i guess.

3. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey. While you are there would you mind picking up a RTS Windcharger for everyone in in the US that needs one? Thanks!

4. Grandum

News Credits:
    not sure if my budget has room for it, but I could pick one up for you :p 

5. Kadrin

Kadrin Well-Known Member

Off topic but the rather ace Natural History Museum has g1 Grimlock as part of its Dinosaurs in popular culture bit...

As a Geology Grad, Palaeo nut, and TF fan I have to mention that in London!

On Topic..

Hamleys sells retail toys on a pretty big scale, but at quite a high price

Forbidden Planets good, if pricey but as mentioned it often has Takara/Tomy imports and reissues, and non European Waves of toys.

6. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No thanks, but I do appreciate the offer. But I was just being an @$$. Have a safe trip. I am more than a little bit jealous.

7. Longwaysouth

Longwaysouth Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

As you'll most likely be staying in central London then Forbidden Planet (179 Shaftesbury Avenue, near Tottenham Court Road tube) would be your best bet. However, be prepared to pay over the odds at £11.99 for Scouts, £14.99 for Deluxes, and £29.99 for Voyagers from what I've heard.

If you've got a bit of time then try one of the many large supermarkets that stock toys as they often have TF's, but they're very hit and miss and only the larger stores are likely to have any TF's (recent sightings in brackets):
    Sainsburys (RTS Voyagers: Lugnut, Grapple, Strafe)
    Asda (RTS Wave 1 Deluxes: Jazz, Tracks, Fallback, Mindset & RTS Scouts, including Windcharger, and RTS Legends)
    Tesco - mostly the same as Asda
    All of these stores will also likely the HFTD line Scouts, Deluxes and Voyagers and waves 1 & 2 of Generations Deluxes. Expect to pay around £7.99 for Scouts, £9.99 for Deluxes and £19.99 for Voyagers in the supermarkets. Be aware that stock varies widely from store to store and I'm not sure how many of the bigger stores are close to central London.

Finally there's Toys R Us and Smyths toy stores, which are the only places that I know of that have stocked RTS Wave 2 deluxes in recent weeks (G2 Prime, Bumblebee, Wreck-Gar and Perceptor), but these tend to be further away (e.g. according to the TRU store finder, the closest TRU to central London is on Old Kent Road (New Cross tube), but it's a bit of a trek and you could be in for a massive disappointment. The closest Smyths is even further away and probably not worth the hassle.

I've been lucky enough to pick up Windcharger, Perceptor, Wreck-Gar and all 6 RTS legends in the last couple of months so the UK doesn't have it all bad and great non-CHUG figures like Breacher and Hubcap are fairly common too.

Happy hunting! :thumbs2: 

8. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're ever in the south-west area where we have row upon row of glamourous brown-brick houses, the nearest Toys R' Us in Croydon is where I picked up RTS wave 2 Deluxes (although that was a couple weeks ago - not sure what's left now) and the adjacent Sainsbury's in Purley Way reportedly has wave 2 Voyagers.

9. Grandum

News Credits:
    Just thought I'd thank you all for the input, I'll be sure to take it all to heart, even the bit about the museum.

Oh, and just to go a tiny bit off topic and follow up on that:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dino-Riders:
    "The dinosaurs were acclaimed for their highly detailed bodies and color and impressed the Smithsonian Institution who contacted Tyco to reproduce the dinosaurs for their "Dinosaur and other Prehistoric Reptile Collection".[9] In contrast to the Dino-Riders versions, all mechanisms such as motorized walking action and wheels were removed.[9]"

But back on track again I'd like to thank everyone for their input. The last CHUG I saw in sweden was Classics sideswipe a couple of years back, so the fact that wave 2 is around would just mean that christmas comes twice for me this year.

Oh, and also if anyone is up for it I'd be happy to meet up for a beer or 2 and discuss transformers, toys and all that.