Godzilla DVDs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RabidYak, Jun 9, 2006.

1. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Anyone know thier shit about Godzilla DVDs?

I'm looking to buy vs Mothra, vs Mechagodzilla, vs Hedorah and Destroy All Monsters. I'd like to know if the current editions of these have the films fully intact and whether the transfers are actually any good, can anyone comment or hit me up with a good link?

2. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
  3. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'll hit you up with what I know ( at least here in the states- no idea what you got over there)
    Are you talking Heisei era, or Showa for GvsMothra or GvsMechaG? If you're refering to the '64 version of vsMothra (usually has Mothra's name first), then I'm reasonably sure the only versions available are the crappy Classic Media release, and if you can find it, the old Simitar DVD. I only have the VHS of it from Simitar, so I can't comment on their DVD release; the Classic Media one, on the other hand is pretty cheap (price and quality). Allegedly CM was trying to find better (and widescreen) prints of the film (as well as others, including, finally, Ghidrah the Three-Headed moster, also '64) from Toho, but I have no idea where they are with that.
    As for GvsMG, the 70's film ('73 or '74, if I recall) the best version, hands down, is actually from Sony. Widescreen, option to play either English or the original Japanese track (with the option of English, Japanese, and I think French subtitiles) and the picture is as clear as you could hope for (or are likely to find) for such an old, low budget film. If you're talking the Heisei, 1993 film (or even the 2003 Godzilla X MechaGodzilla) then both are Sony Tristar, although the '93 film was put on DVD much sooner than the others and is not up to par on quality.
    As for Hedorah, well, once again the Sony release (for all the same reasons as the 70's GvsMG release, plus I don't think its available otherwise).
    Hope this helps out.

4. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Destroy All Mosters is VERY poor quality...and ADV's second release was IDENTICAL to their first...I like the movie, but wish there was a better version out there for region 1...

Edit: Funny that right as I post it the American version (From "Mathew Broderick and the Wonder Lizard"...I actually like the movie as long as I never call that monster Godzilla!) pops up on my TV doing a Doritos comercial...

5. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I bought Godzilla: 2000 on DVD. Two days later, I needed a new disc drive.

True story.

6. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Gino/Zilla (US CGI crappy Lizard) gets pwned, hell they need a new word the straight up ass whooping he got in Godzilla: Final Wars.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Acording to Godzilla, Mothera, and Ghidora: Giant Monsters All Out Attack, the US Godzilla movie is in continuity with it. Apparently we mistook that monster for Godzilla. lol

8. RabidYak

Cheers folks. Its the 60s/70s versions i'm after and i'll be importing since there is hardley any Big G stuff out over here.

Looks like i'll sit out ones that arn't from Sony for the time being, i'm particularly disapointed that Destroy All Monsters is a shambles.

I might pick up the rest of the ones from that era with decent discs to tide me over until the others get good releases. I've not seen a couple of them before and the craptacular clip movie with minilla is the only Godzilla film i've seen that I didn't like.

9. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    U.S.A.: Oh no Godzilla is attacking us now just like Japan!

Japan: Umm, no. That’s not Godzilla, that’s some other monster.

U.S.A. Yes it is, I know because HE TELL ME! Japan=Jerk!

10. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    After recently seeing Final Wars on DVD, I have to say that it's a comedy. Hell, even the 70's camp was more serious and had a tighter storyline than that bleh.:( 

11. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

final wars isnt that great, It should of been called final wars.. with brief appearances of godzilla.

12. butz

butz slippery when wet

:lol  :lol 

Yeah, forgot to mention DaM before- just the shitty ADV version (no title menu, no options, just straight to the movie). I've only ever seen it on VHS (also by ADV) and on the Sci-Fi channel, so I don't really have anything to compare it to on picture quality.
    If you plan on getting the Sony versions (should I assume you have a region-free player or perhaps one you bought from over here?) there were a couple different boxed sets they did- I got my copies of GvsMG and GvsH (even has Hedorah in the title! no smog monster nonsense!) in a 3-pack (I think Tokyo S.O.S. was the third movie?) and I'm pretty sure they have at least one other, larger set. Still haven't picked up their release of GvsGigan yet, but I've heard its pretty good (well, as good as can be expected for that film). I need to get on that because I don't have a VHS anymore.

13. RabidYak

I'll probably end up getting the films individually, it'll be cheaper then getting caught over the limit by customs or paying importer markup.

Region coding is never an issue, I had a region free player before most people had a player at all and you'd have trouble buying a new one in this part of the world thesedays that can't be hacked.

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Final War was really terrible! Even the Godzilla fights couldn't save it IMO.

By the way, where are you geting your DVDs from? A couple of folks go to the Singapore Yahoo Auctions to get them.

15. RabidYak

I'm not really interested in the newer stuff, just the 60s and 70s movies.

I get most of my import DVDs from online retailers in this country, its usually no more expensive then buying native stuff for single disks or cheaper sets. In the case where its over the free import limit and thats the only way to get it, I usually prefer to pay markup to get it ready imported rather then try my luck with international shipping and customs.

I'm not bothered with ordering directly from the US if its something they don't have thougth, as long as its a reputable outlet like Amazon or somebody like that. Auctions are too much hassle with not enougth gaurentee for my liking, as is buying from countries outside of the EU and North America.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, point taken. I'm interested in the 60s to 70s flims too but have yet to find a "decent" source for them.

17. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Speakin of the 60's/70's stuff, I recently Dug out my old VHS copies of Ebirah Horror of the Deep/Godzilla vs Ebirah, and Destroy All Monster's, along with the 1991 vhs Version of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, and a VHS Recording from the 90's I made, when they were showing the original Godzilla VS Mechagodzilla, that movie pwn's.

EDIT: Aswell, I did manage to get a DVD of Godzilla X Mechagodzilla (2003), an Ebay seller included it when I bought a diecast Kiryu/Mechagodzilla 04 from them.

18. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'm partial to the films from the Fifties through the mid Seventies, myself. The 80's and 90's films were alright, but generally weren't my cup of tea. The only one I give a damn about is Godzilla vs. Biollante, which also happens to be the one with virtually no chance of ever getting a DVD release (at least not anytime this decade). The millenium series didn't leave as bad a taste in my mouth, but still weren't quite my flavor. As for Final wars- watched it once, that was enough. Possibly my least favorite kaiju film ever (even "Godzilla's Revenge", the aforementioned stock footage fest featuring Minya, is something I hold in higher esteem).