God of War

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by hellrasinbrasin, Jul 11, 2012.

1. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan may have cut their teeth in Hollywood, penning four installments of the SAW series - IV, V, VI and 3D - but that and a spec script called MONSTROPOLIS got them in the door with Guillermo del Toro to write the screenplay for next year's PACIFIC RIM, which I'm hearing looks amazing and may just blow some unsuspecting folk away at this year's Comic-Con.

Based on the advance word for PACIFIC RIM, Universal has brought the pair on to take a stab at rewriting their adaptation of the video game GOD OF WAR. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Melton and Dunstan will be trying to improve upon the initial draft written by executive producer David Self, in the hopes of bringing Kratos' battles to life sooner rather than later.

The GOD OF WAR series has been incredibly popular since it arrived on the scene in 2005 for Sony's video game, so it makes perfect sense for Universal to want to press on with making this happen. Unlike some other failed video game-to-movie adaptations, GOD OF WAR has elements of IMMORTALS, CLASH OF THE TITANS and 300 all rolled up into one title, so it may make for an easier transition to mainstream audiences who know nothing of GOD OF WAR.

Source of Wrath: Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

Oh Hell Yeahhhh.

That said this better be NC-17 or Bust when it hits theaters.

2. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    This is gonna suck so bad.

3. hellrasinbrasin

... Well Let's give the film a benefit of the doubt. If the studio has the director water down an R-Rated film down to PG-13 then I would have to agree with your stance on the matter. But seeing as the film is only in the early stages of preproduction I haven't heard or scene anything to get upset over-- yet.

4. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    But the first God of War game doesn't make for a good movie. Unless they combine two games or more into one film, I don't see it working.

5. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I actually see it backwards, only the first game would make a good movie, because after the first game, Kratos becomes pretty much a sadistic villain and the Gods you're supposed to hate become more sympathetic than the rage-filled, selfish jerkass you play as.

On the first it's a little more fair, Ares tricked him into killing his own family, now he'll kill him, fair enough. After that Kratos is pretty much just murdering every God he meets for very little reason.

So in short, I'd say the first game would work nicely as a movie, the other two wouldn't because they have a really messed up sense of morality.

6. hellrasinbrasin

Not really Overlord Balder its implicitly stated that The rest of The Gods become Kratos enemy after he opens Pandora's Box to be able to kill Aries. See: God of War III.

7. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

And who opened the box? Oh yes, Kratos.

Really, he's far past Villain Protagonist at this point [to put into perspective: In the third game, we have the God antagonists, who are trying to save the world from utter anihilation and Kratos who...um....wants revenge...I suppose].

So leave it at the first, or half of the movie audiences will end up siding with the Gods.

8. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I watched the cutscenes for the newest God of War. I have to admit it makes almost no sense why he's on such a rampage. I don't really understand the need to make the entire cast of Olympian gods the villians. I lost interest half way through the scenes on youtube.

Looks like a basic button smasher to me. Don't have a good warm and fuzzy about a movie adaptation but who knows.

9. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    Agreed. I never really liked God of War, mainly because Kratos was a terrible hero and was really becoming a Mary Sue character.

10. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

This movie is going to be tough to do. First, it will be difficult to make Kratos sympathetic to movie audiences. I love the God of War games, but it is easy to see why Kratos is thought of as unlikable. Second, the budget for this movie would have to be huge and it would have to be rated R to be anywhere near as good as the games. So the studio either has to take a risk on a big budget R rated movie that might not make any profit or they can water it down to PG-13 and make the fanbase really angry. However, I think it could be great with the right director. These guys wrote the scripts for Saw and Pacific Rim right? Put them together and you have gore and giant monsters. With the right director, it could be good. Right now, it seems like everyone is trying to one-up the Michael Fassbender starring in Assassin's Creed news.

11. erjaho0614

erjaho0614 Autbot/Maximal

I'm not seeing how this works as a movie. GOW makes sense in a game form since it allows for multiple levels of Kratos fighting, searching for artifacts, and fleshing out his story. Having only 2 hours in a movie form doesn't seem like it could fit in all that stuff without sacrificing something important.

12. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Love God of War

Hate anything that has to do with "Saw."

Pass.

**goes back to replaying God of War

13. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Got excited for a minute, thought this might be either the Greek or Roman mythology..Mars, The God of war. Oh well. Guess not.
    As a vid game brought to the screen, eh.

14. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

please make it not crappy
    please make it not crappy

i'll be so pissed off if this turns out to be another dud in the video game movie genre.

the game are not pg-13 material. hollywood betting keep it R.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    They should get Samuel L. Jackson to play Kratos since Kratos is vocied by the guy who also voices Mace Windu in the Star Wars Clone Wars series.

16. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

years ago i read that David Jaffe was considering giving the role of Kratos to Djimon Hounsou.

funny thing. i picked up ghost of sparta a month after its release and i still haven't opened it to play it. its sits there on my shelf begging me to play it.