God of War II

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Pravus Prime, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Anyone else get this? Probably the swan song for the PS2, but it's one hell of a game. I just finished my first playthrough, and I'm mostly impressed. (The ending, and some of the story "continuity" doesn't make the most sense.) Lots of good puzzles, some good boss fights, and some beautiful settings, plus all the fun of having Kratos tear everything to pieces. They "fixed" a lot of my nits about the first GoW (Which is one of my favorite PS2 games to begin with), and it's far longer, which is good IMHO.

I had half figured that there'd be a thread on it by now.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    got it.. my brother's already beaten the game *shaking head* he was off work yesterday so he stayed up most of the night before and then played again all day yesterday.

3. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Wow did I not ever finish the first game?

I still remember finishing the first level and the cinema came on with the naked chicks. My wife was on the couch and was shocked. She was like "excuse me!?" and I just said "WHat?!"

I might pick up GOW2 when it is $20. I plan on getting Elder Scrolls for my PS3 on Tuesday so I will be occupied with that for quite awhie.

4. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Anyone tried God Mode yet? Wondering if its easier/harder then the first one.

5. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I like dthe Hottub 3some this time around....

6. REDLINE

News Credits:
    well, considering there's a play mode that's tougher than god mode, called titan mode, it probably isn't.

7. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it's out in about 2 weeks over here. Looking forward to it.

8. REDLINE

News Credits:
    now that my brother has beaten the game, I've finally gotten my own hands on it. I've put in about 5 hrs into it. One thing that bugs me is that there's been way too many instances of where either A) you walk up to something/someone and push a button and AFTER you do it pops up the hint telling you that you can do it and this is how, or B) you are at a place where you need to press a button (notably R1) and it doesn't pop up on the screen so you don't realize that you can do something there. Other than that I'm really enjoying myself.

9. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I can't wait for this game. I fell in love with the previous one after picking it up 1 1/2 years ago, and I've been anxious for the sequel ever since. :) 

10. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I beat the challenge mode today, with a god ranking which unlocked two urns of power and the God Armor costume. KICK ASS. I have to say the challenge mode was certainly a challenge, particularly the level where you have to freeze and breakup 25 enemies before time expires, with no magic; and later in the challenge where you have limited health and 81 enemies to kill.

Its going to take forever to get 20 cyclops eyes. :( 

11. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Got it, been playing all day. LOVED the first level, it's definately an improvement of the same basic idea as that of the Hydra battle. :D 

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

My PS2 wont play it :(  (wont play Gran Turismo 4 or God of War either)
    This is also my 4TH PS2, gawd damn these things are cheap

13. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I'm having a weird problem. I'm at the Great Chasm (read that it's the part where you have to fight Icarus in a weird minigame), but the game audio goes screwy for 1/2 seconds before stopping altogether. The bird (Icarus?) becomes white and freezes, I fall through the bridge, it takes about 10 seconds for the Game Over screen to pop up and then it gets stuck in Loading. Tried everything, but I can't seem to get around it. So what's going on? A glitch? Or maybe I should stop borrowing games of my friend (some of his games are just pirated copies with those customized surface stickers, and I'm starting to think this is one of them).
    EDIT: Ah, just read that it's a common glitch. Watch out for this folks. If you encounter it, get ready to dig out your receipt to swap it.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Wow, beat the Challenge of the Titans. Good grief that was tough. Well, really the only one I had trouble with was the air kills (Mostly because it took about 10 tries before I realized they had meant baddie in the air and killed and not Kratos in the air killing) and the protect the dude ones (Which is mostly figure out the timing to best use the Fate amulet). Far harder than GoW I's challenge IMHO.

What sucks is that unlike the first one, you can't use the costume until you do the bonus play. Ruins my plan of using it to breeze through Normal, Spartan, and God with it, like I did with Normal and Spartan with GoW I. I'm working on Titan mode now. LOL, Kratos seems rather wimpy.

15. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so I haven't played the first one. now with this one out, would there be any point, or if I wanted to see what the fuss was all about should I just jump into GOW 2?

16. REDLINE

News Credits:
    if you havn't played the first one, by all means do so! that game freakin rocks, and still does after the new release.

17. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, that, okami, and ff12 are the 3 games left for the ps2 that I'm interested in.

18. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Yep, this game is well worth the money. It is highly addictive and absolutely awesome in so many ways. I just got out of the Great Chasm and away from Atlas and decided to stop for the night.

The only thing I don't like about playing this game is that in lots of places, I had to try something that will usually kill me at least once before I figure out what I am supposed to do (ie the root growing part). It isn't always apparent what you are supposed to do, even when the show you a hint. The other thing I don't like is that the graphics are too pixilated on my plasma TV. On GoW1 I could "soften" the picture and get a really good image, but on this one, no matter what I do, the pic is too clear and pixilated. Aside from those two things, this game is one of the greatest of all time.

I highly recommend this game to everyone. Oh and yes, GoW1 is well worth getting, even now, since it is pretty much completely seperate from #2 and still one of the greatest ever.

19. REDLINE

News Credits:
    thats odd, I have no problems with pixelation on my DLP tv.

20. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    The backgrounds and movies look awesome, it is just the characters in the gameplay that look bad. Funny thing is that it only gets worse when I switch it to progressive scan.