God of War comparisons

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by kraven, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I know, and Dante had the Beastly Gloves that pounced your enemy before Kratos did. I loved DMC 2 (most people panned it) it did feel a little less polished and very generic. DMC 3 was much better, but GotDamn that was a tough one. What sets Kratos apart from it, and possibly part of the reason why it's "compared to" (despite coming after, and possessing elements that came from DMC) is possibly its story and character. I honestly don't remember a single story from DMC, because it was all about the ass-whoopin' for me. GOW had awesome locals, and had a story that has carried it through its trilogy. I'm pressing the buttons exactly as I did with DMC, but I'm more interested in what happens between them. That doesn't mean that everyone has to, it just means that in a time when gamers are slowly starting to place more emphasis on story and character icons, Kratos has a story that people are familiar with, and that's where the comparisons to it come from.

Here's an example. Shooters came and went years before Halo came out. Halo made people care about the character (Master Chief in this case). It's not even close to being the best shooter mechanically anymore, but people still care about it, and that's why comparisons are made with it, instead of better games.

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

see i felt the story in gow was pretty weak. kratos is just angry because of (spoilers) which was his own damn fault anyway. by halfway through the second game i was "oh, i died again, and am fighting my way out of hell again" and i just couldn't find myself wanting to play it anymore :/

and bar 2, i can remember the stories for dmc :) 

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was sitting and trying to remember a bit about DMC1. The chick that traveled with him reminded him of his mom, I do remember that. Otherwise, it was weak enough that I don't even remember the main plot.

And you're right, it was Kratos' fault, so the story wasn't that weak. If it were completely basic, he would have been a perfectly honest, good man, and the gods screw him over. It's a bit better when he's completely flawed and as a result, he gets screwed over. But throughout GOW3, you start getting the hint that he understands that he screwed up.

Besides, like I said, it's all relative to what you're interested in. I don't remember jack about Symphony of the Night's story, but I love the game. Everything about Kratos and his exposition is focused on his story. When you see a Trailer to GOW, it's him talking about how he got screwed over "wah wah wah". DMC is riddled with typical Anime confusing twisted dialogue and storyline. And so when a new promo comes out for the game, it's a bunch of random dialogue combined with action scenes.

I'm not tryin' to explain why one is better. I'm trying to explain why in people's mind, games are compared to GOW instead of its spiritual predecessor. In retrospect, you're actually making me want to play DMC agai. But just like Halo, it's all in the presentation and how much people begin to care about a character's exploits because of the way the previous games presented him.

You ask me, it's all about Rygar and his dealings with Argos, and the Shield weapon thingy.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  4. smangerbot

hold me.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

edit: Hey, I wonder if they might rerelease the DMC trilogy in HD like they did with GOW and SOTC. I'd be interested in playing through those again. Like I said, I know people hated DMC2, but I thought the wall-running added so much to the action that I just simply enjoyed the hell outta it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  6. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

this. GoW is a very popular series. that why there are comparisons

7. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Agreed. :D 

[​IMG]

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish I could be her hair.

9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure what you're playing, but no action game I've played, including DMC, has actually contained cg female nudity. I didn't play Bayonetta, but as far as I know she always has at least a little something covering her "lady parts". But I wasn't really saying that was what made GoW so popular, but I would wager that it contributed.

10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    What the hell are you talking about?! The only time I have heard GoW be compared to another game was with Darsiders and Dantes Inferno, both in which the designers flat out said they were influenced by GoW.

Ive never heard DMC compared to GoW, but rather to Bayonetta, since its the same creator.

Edit: I did hear Heavenly Sword compared to it but it was in a good way as the GoW of females.

11. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

DMC (and the Bayonetta demo I played) always seemed to me to be fairly sloppy in it's execution and that the game was built around a foundation of "looking cool" more than anything else. The gameplay was ok, but nothing amazing or groundbreaking.

I don't get how GoW is in the same conversation as to me they play completely different.

12. smangerbot

^ wrong son. its got mechanics as tight as popular fighting games.

and the games are similar in that they are "3rd person brawlers"

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

picardfacepalmdotgif

14. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah and thats why everyone wants to try and compete with this game too in game making to make that next big game that everyone wants to try and make a mimick after

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I find them both to, the only difference being the logic behind the way the different weapons handle. When Kratos wields a sword, the game handles almost exactly like DMC, minus the guns. I never felt GOW was any less tight, and any claims that the game is repetative are relative and silly, because people gush about games that are just as repetative and have done little to advance their genre in any shape or form.

DMC came before, is a badass game, but GOW took it mainstream, by giving us more flash, an angry dude, and a more concise story to follow that didn't have the usual broken anime dialogue. Not liking the series doesn't equal it not being any better or worse or deserving of attention. That would be like me assuming that games like Pokemon don't deserve the attention they get because I feel that Monster Rancher was a better Pet series (which is was, and came before IIRC). Pokemon had a good reason for bringing the Monster fighting genre into the mainstream and thus receiving the "Just like Pokemon" from comparisons. Even if I personally don't care for it, it will always be compared to. And that's what this topic is about, not which one is better and for what reason.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  16. smangerbot

never said gow wasn't tight son! put anything in my mouth except your words!

wait...

but i forget, did gow have the similar button timing do get different combos style of swordplay as dmc? i totally forget. i remember thinking it was one combo deal, with shoulder button modifiers to play out a set animation?

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best line ever.

The sword, had a Square/Triangle combo. Basic shit, Square could be strung together, or mixed with a stronger Triangle. Triangle could be comboed with a stick bull to launch enemies in the air.

Hey, did you ever play Heavenly Sword? That one could claim it took things a different direction, despite it not being very popular. Also, Folklore did its own thing with the genre, and that's Capcom.

edit: BTW, I put other things, not words, in your mouth. I said people claiming it was repetative. I didn't say you said that ;) 

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  18. smangerbot

:D  hugs!

yeah i played heavenly sword, and im one of the few people that liked it. it actually plays quite similar to gow, same button layout, combos and doge mechanic. i also really liked the shooting/throwing in slo mo :)  half decent for a launch title imo. shame they wont get a chance to try and improve it.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly. The reason I liked it is because unlike GOW, you can't get through some enemies with the same combo or even weapon. And you could string one weapon into another. Also, Naruko was flippin hot as hell.

edit: Part of the reason why I won't completely hate on the new DMC until I play it, but I still hate Stephanie Meyers for it.

20. smangerbot

also it had a nice counter system too (hit triangle just as you block) and i like those :) 

Nariko is indeed hot. BUTT

[​IMG]