God of War comparisons

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by kraven, Sep 28, 2010.

1. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Why does everything get compared to God of War? Every time I look up a 3rd person beat'em up/action game I read/hear the same thing over and over, "oh look, they made god of war again" or "GOW clone..." and so on. And i just really dont get it and its becoming rather annoying. Doesnt anybody realize GOW is not the first game of its kind? I remember playing GOW1 thinking that it feels a lot like Devil May Cry and that Kratos looks a lot like Quin Chi from Mortal Kombat. IMO all GOW did was add quick time gameplay. (or whatever its called)
    I guess this is a pretty pointless thread I just need to rant for a sec. And the thing that really got to me was i was looking up the new Castlevania game and have seen the same old GOW comparrision and it really makes me mad. Castlevania has been around since the 80's and a 3D Castlevania game is not anything new either, sooooo what the hell?

So in closing I'd just like to say GOW can suck it. That is all.

2. wikkiddavis

wikkiddavis The wikkid man

News Credits:
    Cause God of War is better then DMC and any other game of its kind

GOD OF WAR IS KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Joke post?

4. wikkiddavis

wikkiddavis The wikkid man

News Credits:
    Kinda and Kinda not I love god of war but its not the best game ever!

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I love God of War, but I never understood the comparisons either.

When I first played GoW it felt like Devil May Cry with quick-time-events.
    I mean that in a good way, BTW.

Devil May Cry is my benchmark.

6. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

gow is the absolute shit imo and unlike the dmc franchise, all gow games were awesome. personally i didn't find them to play similarly at all. dmc is way more flashy and in your face with it's action.

7. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    This thread makes me want to /wrists :( 

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I have to agree. I never thought GoW was up there with DMC and if anything God of War copied DMC. Heck, GoW also copied the PS2's Rygar, which copied from DMC but also used a whip-like weapon.

I think GoW is just Sony's baby so it has money and marketing shooting out of its ears. I like GoW but DMC is still my benchmark as well.

9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I think God of War and Devil May Cry are worlds apart. Yes they have hack and slash/action RPG elements and share lots from each but both play differently, if your good at DMC it doesn't mean your good at GOW & vice-versa.

I can play and do very well with God of War but can I pull off constant SSS-Combos or finish Devil May Cry on hard?....no, I cannot.

10. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I love GOW 1-3 as those games just rocked and I think 1 reason is cause GOW did so much for a 3rd person style hack and slash type game. I love me some more GOW so thats why I just DL the PSP demo ghost of sparta. Plus GOW is a huge money maker anyway besides it being compared to other games.

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

QTE needs to go away and die again, its like the ghost of Dragons Lair is haunting us for ditching that shit in the 80s.

12. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

Eh, dunno. I (and my friend) found GoW games boring after the first stages each. And unlike my friend, I played through all three console games.

Buttloads of enemies that you don't need to care about, no real impact in attacks, jerk of a main character whom you are bein' shoehorned to try and sympathise with even when he does just pure a-hole stuff on innocent bystanders, a story that's not helpin' a lot when it actually just makes the main character look even worse when you actually think about it (he kills the world in the 3rd game and yet he is supposed to be redeemable), me not bein' that big a fan of puzzles, and...

Oh yeah, Kratos is really just a angsty teen with muscles.

Did I miss something with these games? Like, big time?

Just an opinion. I've played other games of the genre and liked'em a lot more.

Actually, I think it is rather unfair for games bein' compared to God of War... as was said initially, it in fact took bits and parts of other game series to begin with and became, as was said in a podcast so well, "Dynasty Warriors; Greek Mythology".

I do appreciate that in the third game, they finally made QTE's tolerable by puttin' the buttons flashin' on each respective corner. And they did always show what the respective game system can do graphically.

Or is 75% of the people on this thread now thinkin' I'm summonin' the wrath of the god of war? XD

13. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Im with you fez, I cant stand Kratos. And nothing at all grabs me about GOW and have also been left feeling like I am missing something. So that just adds to my frustration of everything being compared to it.

14. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Again, I gotta say it's that Sony supports it to make it look like a stellar property. Again, it isn't bad, but I also cared little about Kratos or what I was doing. Actually I was AGAINST Kratos in some of the scenes. I've actually joked that the only reason people give GoW such high marks and compare other games to it comes down to this- boobs.

But really I have to go back to Sonys huge push with the series. When a new console GoW comes out, you can't really go to a gaming website and not be bombarded by GoW banners covering every inch of the screens. Heck, it got more advertising then Uncharted, and really that derserves more marketing.

15. McBradders

GoW is for 12 year olds.

DMC/Bayonetta etc. is for men.

16. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i tried to play the god of war collection on the ps3. the first game was kinda fun, but its combat is annoyingly simplistic and unrefined compared to dmc/bayonetta, and i found i didnt really like kratos at all.

but to the OP, its because alot of games have copied it since. thusly people compare them. not that hard to understand.

17. McBradders

GoW sold 4.5 million copies, people wanna chase that dollar dollar, son.

18. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

As if in other games of the genre don't have those. No sirree. Only with GoW, honest.

19. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

GoW is the only one with actual bare boobies. and headboards keeping neighbours awake.

the other games mentioned do have impressive jiggle mechanics though.

20. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Some games have blatantly ripped off God of War's game play, fair enough.

That said, I do find that both reviewers and gamers alike love the easy labeling of games, leading to boatloads of God of War comparisons for any hack and slash/beat 'em up that isn't DMC-like in combat style.