Gobots

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by rodster6, Oct 30, 2008.

1. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    After reading throuhg my old Megatron origin comics and seeing the picture of megs killing Cykill I thought id get my old Gobot toys down from the loft and have a look at them again after all these years. I actually really like them. Compared to the Transformer toys that came out at the same time, they are actually better toys IMO. I remember I used to like the old cartoon show too. Especially some episodes about an invasion of Insectoids.

Hasbro own the rights to the Gobot names dont they? Does that make Gobots kind of part of the Transformers universe and part of a Transformers collection?

Are their any other Gobot fans out there?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'd love to see some reissue gobot giftpacks. I'd buy 'em.

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember that the smaller Gobots like Leader 1 were better in comparison to similar sized Transformers at the time, but I wouldn't say as an entire line they were better. Still, I would love to see some more homages mixed in with the transformers line OR reissues.

4. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    The Gobot Tork was my favorite toy as a kid. That thing was awesome. I still have him and Puzzler (also awesome).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

I wish they'd reissue a large updated Leader-1 and Cy-Kill.

6. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah some reissue Go Bots would be awesome!!!

7. rodster6

Ebay:
    I think I'll take some pics of my Gobots collection to post when I can be bothered. I only have 20 though lol.

8. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes and no. Respectively.

The toys that were Gobots were originally made by Popy as Machine Robo toys in Japan. Around the time that Hasbro started the process to import Diaclone and Microman toys to be Transformers, Tonka decided to do the same thing. It lasted for 3 years or so before being totally overrun by our franchise. In 1991 Hasbro acquired Tonka, along with the names and trademarks of Gobots.

Hasbro has worked some of the names into various continuties, without the storylines.

9. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Though the club has also worked the Gobots and their continuity into the club's fiction. Which was partly inspired by Takara's E-hobby 'Go-bot' minibot set, I don't what kind of fiction was given to them in Japan though.

10. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sweet, a Go-bots thread, I'm in.

11. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I have MIB Super Go-Bot Leader-1 and Cy-Kill. I got them as MISB but that's not how I roll.

12. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I absolutely love some of the GoBots. I just about crapped myself with glee a few weeks ago when I found my old Man-O-War Gobot that I had as a kid. I thought it was long gone but I found him at the bottom of a box of 'toy rubble'. The best part is he's in absolutely pristine condition, even though I played with him a lot as a kid. He's a living testament to how well made some of these things are, and he's also a testament to how cool and under-represented battleship-bots are.

13. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I remember playing the with submarine Gobot in the bathtub as a kid.

I also had the big Super Gobot Bug Bite, which I loved.

14. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Big Bite ruled. I was saddened to find some years ago that when I pulled it out of my closet whilst cleaning up, the metal hinge on his hips had rusted so when I tried to swing the legs out, his entire lower half just snapped off :( .

There was something wild but fun about the Super Gobots with the big cockpit heads.

I also loved the two-part gobot combiners. I had two; one was a jet and an airport tow truck, the other an eagle thing and a tank ... thing. Looking at pictures of them now, they were kinda silly, but they were boss back then. The jet guy had a spring loaded head that would shoot up with pain-inducing force when you pushed a button on his chest. And swept wings! I think this guy was why I loved the YF-19 from Macross Plus so much.

15. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Which coincidentally you now hate. :p 

Yeah, I might have to try to track down another Super Bugbite. Pure nostalgia.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  16. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have TWO BugBite stories. The first was when I was ten and my family moved to a new house in a new town. I was playing in our new yard for the first time and found a Bug Bite in the grass by the road. I had never seen or played with a Super Gobot before so it's size, realistic look and heaviness really wowed me. I remember showing it to my dad and him telling me that I should keep it and my other toys in good shape because "they'll be collectors items some day." The story had a less than happy ending. I was outside a few days later playing with Bug Bite and one of the neighborhood boys, younger than me, came to talk to me since I was the new kid on the block. I was still excited about my find so I told him about it. He then told me it was his toy and that I should give it back. I begrudgingly handed it over and became friends with him. Shortly after that I met his sister who was my age and she told me it wasn't his toy at all. I never worked up the gumption to ask for it back.

My other Bug Bite story is less interesting. I was at a thrift store two years ago and found one in perfect condition, in a baggie, for $1. :D 

17. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those things RULED! I had a couple - a seaplane, a train and an Apache gunship that sadly broke :( 

I also have a Rock Lord, and he is made of win :rock 

18. rodster6

Ebay:
    My Bugbite has lost a wheel and his lower left arm. I loved him because he reminded me of Bumblebee who I didnt have a toy of for years. Alot of my old Gobots are broken, more than my old Transformers . Gobots do seem a bit more brittle though I think I had Gobots a year or two before Transformers so maybe its just because I played with them at a younger age.

19. rodster6

Ebay:
    Sorry the pics are blurred, cam cant focus for sh*t anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. akum6n

akum6n Bootleg

I'm sad that I was ignorant of things like the Series 3 Super Gobots and the Dread Launchers when I was a kid. I had mostly the smaller scale figures, but somehow ended up with a few Japan-only releases in my collection. I think those may have come from Shirokiya in Hawaii, which still had a pretty good toy selection in the 80s.

Recently picked up a boxed Euro Spy-Eye for a good price. Looking forward to receiving it.