Gobots

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Jeremy.B, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When I got back into TFs a couple of years ago, I remembered having some Gobots when I was younger. With a recent aquisition of Gobot Puzzler, I am reminded how simple and plain they were; yes, they were awesome in that easy kind of way.

Then I found an old Gobots episode on youtube, the first time I watched such an episode in 20 years. My God, it was terrible. Makes G1 TFs cartoon look like a Speildberg masterpiece. The animation was atrocious, the plot lines silly and goofy and extremely unbelievable, even for a kid. I just had to share my shockedness with you all.

I still think the toys, simple though they may be, are cool in their own rights, but would not actively collect past the one or two I have lying around.

2. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Yeah, the episodes were pretty bad.

I agree with you about the toys as well. I've got a few and they're really fun, but I probably wouldn't actively search for more...

3. Gaokaiser

Gaokaiser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watch Machinerobo(japanese version) series! Same toys, but it's cooler than Gobots!

Opening(version 2).

Baikanfu VS Bug.

Battle Armor Five promo.

Battle Armor Five sequence.

Pro Truck Racer.

Rock Superman & Jewel Superman.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  4. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Heh. I had a knockoff Rom Stoll when I was a kid. Complete with that weird "Russian Doll" stacking gimmick. I didn't even know that was part of the Machine Robo/Gobots line till a couple years ago.

And yeah, for the most part I'm not a big fan of Gobots. But they do have a small bit of sentimental value to me, since I had more Gobots than Transformers when I was a kid thanks to cheap parents.

There were a few cool ones, though. My favorite was the super version of Spay-C.
    [​IMG]

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I'm still trying to get over freakin Fitor and Screwhead being main characters.

6. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Yeah. Rod Drill actually has a personality too!

7. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I checked out those links, and it is amazingly better than our version. I swear, it was like Hannah Barbara made the Gobots in the US.

8. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    As a matter of fact, it was Hannah Barbera that made the US Gobot cartoon. And yes, it stunk on ice.

9. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would love to get my hands on the Battle Hackers episodes. I've got a handful of those toys, but after watching those clips it makes me want to hunt down the others!

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The shame....

I actually got the command center, cykill, coptur, leader 1 and the super gobot semi rig ( now known as Optimus Prime, snicker) for Christmas.

I wanna say i got smarter the next Christmas when i chose Omega Supreme over a GI Joe trainset.
    woo-hoo.

I think, as kids, we did the same things our parents and grandparents did when they were kids. in their day, hand me down clothes or clothes with patches was the sign of being poor (never a sign of someone on a budget), so when someone brought a gobot to class, they went down the ranks to being the poor kid.

I never took Leader 1 to school, thank you.

But can we get the stigma off the gobots? look, i saw a 6 year olf get these new movie transformers and spend a week trying to transform em. (gave him the cool gear binocular autobot, which he broke twice in the process.)
    gobots were the Kmart transformers, but were better suited to younger kids to me.
    that has to mean something more than the negative reactions.
    but the tv show was a turd too crappy even to float, lol.

11. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    I had a few Gobots as a kid before the Transformers came out but most kids like me were waiting for the Transformers. They just looked better from the get-go. There was a huge marketing campaign by Marvel and Hasbro months before the toys ever came out. A big TV commercial came out for the TF comic book(I was already collecting comic books very HEAVILY at the time), I picked up a copy and thought the concept was just great.

By the time the cartoon came out it was fairly obvious that the Gobots were aiming at a totally different audience than the Transformers were. You could feel the high-quality Marvel feel all over Transformers and the Gobots.....not so much.

12. Leemon

Leemon Yar, spare sum fuel mate?

News Credits:
    I have a Gobot question: Did they, or did they not have organic brains? I don't remember.

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I used to love Gobots!!....man, they were the poor kids Transformers!!...yes, I was a poor kid...

The cartoon was o.k. for the time....I watched some eps not long ago, and I had to laugh at myself, cause I actually used to watch this stuff....but we were kids, so what did we know?....

As for the toys....Royal-T, Dive-Dive, Loco, Pumper, Tux, Ranger, and the brown and blue helicopter guy were my faves.....

Like SD77 said, simple, but full of awesomeness at the same time....

14. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We've always had a soft-spot for Gobots in my house... we love the Rock-Lords movie, no matter how silly it is... and I actually collect the Super-Gobot figures (just got my hands on the later version of Defendor and an Herr Fiend) bc/ while they are simplistic, they're still some really rad retro die-cast wonderful transforming toys...

15. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I had a few gobots as a kid. They have some sentimental value, and my goal was to reacquire them.

Spay-C ( large one )
    Stacks ( with trailer )
    Baron Von Joy
    Puzzler

So far I have the first 3. Puzzler is getting to be expensive to find.

16. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Puzzler was badass, and that Space Shuttle looks familiar as something that was cool back in the day...

That's about all I remember of Gobots though.

17. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I have a KO of Spoons. I just wanted a transforming fork lift. Unfortunately it's now the oldest thing in my collection.

18. Octane

Octane Soul Crusher

Unfortunately, if you have the train set and sold it, you could buy three or more Omegas.

I agree, Gobots are great for smaller kids, as they seem more durable. You have to remove small parts like Pumpers nozzle and Dozers stack though.

I absolutely love Zero, and I still want to find a mint Screwhead.

19. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I am pretty sure they did. And according to this they do; but it is Wikipedia...

20. JBrock

JBrock TFW2005 Supporter

GoBots were usually what I got between birthdays and Christmas. If you think that hunting down a masterpiece Starscream or deluxe Brawl are tough now, you should have tried it in the mid 80's before on-line shopping. There were never any good TFs on the shelves back in the day.