Minor/Repaint: Gobot Night Ranger for the S70 Gobot Challenge

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Demonss, May 27, 2010.

1. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well it appears voting is done, so I hope i'm not gonna get myself in trouble here with this, but it's time for some comments and criticisms of my Night Ranger!
    I had a blast painting this guy. It all started as a Knock off of the robot masters "Double face." Or the g2 laser cycle axer.
    He was that awful yellow and purple color that made him look totally like a toy vs. a real motorcycle.

I was going through my gobot collection to see what I wanted to do that I had a fair donor bot to use and thats when I saw night ranger (one of the few gobots I actually didn't care much for to be honest!).

So I pulled him out, discovered that in his old age his leg had broke (BLAST!) and headed to the hobby shop to match colors.
    I got home and immediately busted into working on him. I was going to try to make it so the head was on the back (so it looked even more close to the gobot counterpart) but frankly I didn't think it looked that good that way, so I left it stock feeling it was a nice "update" to the character.

The stickers were meticulously created by taking VERY VERY careful pictures of the source bot and putting them into photoshop and making them the right size and adding them to the character.

It was a TON of fun to make Night Ranger, and now i've got a Night Ranger in my collection that I don't mind owning (not that I mind the other one, I just like how this one turned out).

Your Comments and criticisms are ALWAYS appreciated!
    I also had fun taking the pictures as I tried out a new mirrored floor with just a placemat making a black background! hah.. I'll have to find a better black background but it worked good enough for me!
    And BTW, CONGRATS TO THE WINNERS OF THIS CONTEST (when they are announced)! You guys did an awesome job recreating those Gobots!

Attached Files:

2. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Your custom turned out really well I think. I notice that the original figure has the front wheel on his chest; are you able to turn the arms & head around on yours to mimic that, or does it not work? Regardless - great job. I like the stickers, too - damn nice, homie.

~Z

3. Demonss

News Credits:
    Thanks man.
    I wanted to turn the arms and head around in order to mimic that but being he's a cheap KO I ran into 2 problems.
    1) I'm afraid I'd break the ball joint.
    2) The wheel never sat low enough to make his head visible over it, so it would have required some extra modification in order to pull that off.. as well as the back of him being pretty well devoid of detail.

I think the legs would have been an issue too.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

So you were the one that did this. It was one of my favorites.

And I think you're okay posting this since voting ended on Tuesday. I spoke with Alphamagnus and he said to post it anywhere but Sector70. I suppose anywhere includes Radicons (lol). I'll be posting mine in a few minutes.

5. Demonss

News Credits:
    Oh he said don't post it on s70? Yikes did that too.
    I figured it can't affect anything since voting is over.. haha

6. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    yeah the no-post at s70 was so the entry thread becomes your discussion thread, that you can add to with a new post. regardless, this one was one of my favorites too, because of the smooth, almost factory paintjob. This is one of the only molds that could effectively mimic Night Ranger. You're motorin' :) 

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I was never a big Go-bots fan, but I voted on this one. Great job on the paint, man. Smooth, and can't believe you did those decals in Photoshop!!! Nice! :thumb 

8. Shinobitron

Shinobitron Cybertronian Ninja

Ebay:
    Now thats a really cool update to that figure.

9. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not structurally modifying the top part of the robot was a good idea :)