Minor/Repaint: Gobot love: Bad Boy WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by tentagil, Mar 17, 2009.

1. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Haven't posted anything here in awhile.

Well once I saw the Marvel Crossover Thor I knew two things. One, No matter what the guy had to be repainted, his alt mode color scheme is horrible. And two, I knew exactly who he was going to become.

Ever since the Gobots started getting blended into TF fiction I've yearned for more Gobot homages. Fracture makes a perfect Crasher, and of course we have Bugbite. But I wanted Bad Boy. Especially after the Wither Hope prose story from the club.

I'm going with the Minibot repaint color scheme as opposed to the greens of his Gobot original, though I'm breaking up the white with a little bit of the black and blues so it doesn't look to bland in plane mode. And the head I'm working on is hopefully going to be a decent mix of both. I don't think I will ever do any figure with this much white on it again, but I'm nearing the home stretch, really jsut giving all the paint time to really cure and working on the head right now.

Little teaser so people can see where he's at. Hopefully I'll start assembling him this weekend, if that doesn't happen will be two weeks since I'm going on vacation.

I'll at least get a shot of the head up before I leave if I don't get him put together.

Have plans from at least Small Foot and Treads after this, From Wolverine and Hulk respectively. If nothing else the Marvel figures have started giving me ideas again.

As always comments and critiques welcome. Don't think I'm the first to do this guy, but haven't seen another here.

Edit: added the headshot

Attached Files:

2. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Can you take some closer pics, its kinda hard to see your work.

3. tentagil

Here are a few more shots, closer up. Its a mix of Kyrlon for the white since I jsut couldn't get a smooth finish hand brushing, especially over the Red and Blue. Then I mostly hand did the black and I'll be adding some more silver highlights in a few places most likely.

Attached Files:

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Please make it so.

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Looking good :thumb 

Kudos on the white paint too!!...it looks fantastic :) 

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    so glad to see you're still around! It's been quite some time since I uploaded your old galleries here!

7. Mega-Prime 316

Mega-Prime 316 Well-Known Member

Looks good so far! And your work space is so tidy!! I work in a mess all the time! LOL

8. tentagil

I'd just cleaned up after doing some work. I had a bad habit of losing parts when I first started bashing so I learned to keep things neater. Head is coming along, scuplt work is basically done, just painting base coats now so hope to be able to paint details and show it off tomorrowish.

9. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    Looks promising!

Do you plan to make mods to the head?

10. tentagil

Yep, Took the Thor head off and its now in my Box O' Heads. The new head is from the box with some cutting and puttying done to it. Nothing cosmic, jsut some reshaping to it so it looks like a mix between the two versions of the characters head instead of the guy it used to belong to.

11. Detour

News Credits:
    When you say "mix of the two versions", do you mean something like how Jackpot drew him in The Withered Hope, using the "Powerglide" helmet, but with Bad Boy's Challenge Of The GoBots face design (visible face, visor)?

12. tentagil

Kind of the other way around for mine. He has the flat top style helmet the Gobot had, but the face shield of the minicon version. I jsut think it makes him look a little more badass that way:)  Its coming along nicely and I should have photos up later tonight after I get off work.

13. Detour

News Credits:
    Aw, that's too bad. I always liked his COTGB face design.

And I don't know if I'd call Bad Boy a "badass". He's a violent rebellious punk, sort of a GoBots version of Rumble and Frenzy.

14. tentagil

Well lets be honest, there really isn't anything like a true Badass among the Gobots. Thier fiction was unfortunately even more kid friendly then the Transformers cartoon. He did however prove to be pretty capable in the cartoon, and he was fairly tough in the Withered Hope story.

He's not the smartest guy on the block, but he's tough. And whether its courage or stupidty he'll take on pretty much anybody. Plus he's an A-10, you can't call somebody who turns into a flying tank a pussy:)  Really its that fact above all else that made him a fav of mine as a kid. Next to Staks (who was my prime standin as a kid) he was my favorite Gobot. Beachcomber ironically is still my favorite Transformer.

15. tentagil

Added pics of the head to the first post. Nothing to cosmic to it. Went with black since it goes well with some other details on the body and I like how it looks with the white. Like I said its kind of a mix between the flattop look of the original and the face plate of the minibot.

16. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I like it.

17. Detour

News Credits:
    Minibot, not Minicon.

The head looks very ninja-esque... Where's it from?

18. tentagil

Fixed that little typo:)  And its RID Prime's head actually. Or was before the dremel and the green stuff epoxy had at it.

19. tentagil

New pic added showing current progress. Unfortunately I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow. I intended to have him assembled tonight but the two nose cone peices started chipping badly as soon as I started so I ended up stripping them back down and starting over with the paint. Plus side is while I'm gone all the paint should cure really solid. But means this guy will go into limbo for awhile as well.

20. Detour

News Credits:
    Hrm, I missed that last update...

It looks spiffy, aside from the head... the black colors make him look more Ninja Boy than Bad Boy.