Go-Bots reissues

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fishdirt, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know there are haters but I'm not really concerned with what they have to say as far as why go-bots suck. Just want some facts and such. Many, my age, forget the cool thing about gobots is they were the size of our hotwheels which were also pretty big in the early 80s.

Anyway have reissues been done or ever been discussed about being done? I'd like to get my original childhood collection or parts of it again but not used and definitely not at the prices wanted for mosc. I'd love to have a Leader-1 , cy kill, crasher, turbo and that semi again. I even had the car combiner (which sucked butt).

Has hasbro said one way or the other anything about this?

2. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    A year ago I bought Super Gobots Destroyer. You know, the Leopard tank gobot. If you want to read my review on Destroyer :

Destroyer | CollectionDX

I had this one in my childhood along with Bugbite and Cykill.

Perhaps you should take a look here at Actiontoys.com if you want to buy some. They still have a neat stock of Gobots :

Action Toys and Collectables: Go-Bots by Tonka

3. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Hasbro only owns the names and trademarks associated with GoBots (due to their acquisition of Tonka in the early 90s). They do NOT have any rights to the actual toy molds (owned by Bandai, competitor to Takara, and since the early 90s a fairly prominant force in US toys as well thanks to Ben 10 and Power Rangers).

Hasbro/Takara have homaged the GoBots in various releases (Botcon 07, Ehobby minibots reissue, Fracture, etc), but you will never see the original Gobots back on shelves unless Bandai does something with them (which appears quite unlikely)

4. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Steevy Maximus is correct with Hasbro owning the trademarked names for the Gobots (via the acquisition of Tonka). Bandai in Japan has since released an updated version of their Machine Robo (the Japanese toyline imported to the US as Gobots) figures back in 2002. That line is called Machine Robo Rescue. MRR updated a few of the popular Japanese figures (like Fitor, and Screwhead) and turned them into combiners. Eventually MRR became Machine Robo Mugenbine. While they no longer referenced the earlier figures, the Mugenbine figures featured a plug and play aesthetic (like legos) where you could build all sorts of animals, vehicles, and giant robots. Currently the Mugenbine line is strictly a candy toy-line (Shokugan) which is still releasing new toys (albeit sporadically). Here's TFW's Mugenbine thread.

5. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Well, the other guys seem to have covered this but I'm going to summarize: not gonna happen. Hasbro owns the trademarks to the Gobots brand while Bandai owns the original molds. So even if we get homages (and we have gotten a number of them) we won't get actual reissues of the original toys.

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sucky. Well I put in my vote for hasbro to buy the rights to the character designs :)  It could happen but I fear this will be yet another classic toy series to fall into the toy graveyard.

7. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Had to dig out my old sig when I saw this thread.

8. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:

9. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Yeah, it was sold as 'MIB' with rubber treads, unused decal sticker sheet and accessoiries.

Thing is... the rightside rubber tread is deteriorating. I researched as to what made the rubber go bad, and it seems that in some cases, prolonged exposure to styrofoam may cause rubber stuff like those treads, to decay a bit.

Leftside tread is perfectly fine though.

10. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Well I like gobots. As mecha that can fit in with the original Transformers toys and add some charm with their vast array of unusal alt modes, and simple but definitely robotic faces. They had engaging transformations , Though the engineering was often a little to tight to account for breakages or corrosion.

I pick them up whenever I can find them so here is what I have:

All Six Puzzler cars, fly trap, deep dive, spoons, water walk, night ranger, skorps, staks, scooter, screw head, royal- T, and road ranger.

oh and the wendys kids meal gobots. I got pow wow at least.

If they do make some Transformers with unusual alt modes, like the world war bombing planes they have been doing lately. The potential to have the names pop up again as a treat for gobots fans is there.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  11. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I meant I like how he has two modes, walking and a rolling robot

12. Eternalm

Eternalm Hasbro owns my Childhood

I really like the idea that almost all of the gobots were available in a single size, meaning you could have those big playsets for them, because they were all GI Joe sized.

For the most part I think they're all pretty slick vintage robot toys, the combiners are particularly awesome, although the individual members are kind of lame.

13. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Highly unlikely this will happen. Bandai already competes with Hasbro in the US market. In Japan, they compete with Takara/Tomy (who is partnered with Hasbro in making Transformers). About the only way this would ever happen would be if Hasbro bought out Bandai).

14. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I still have my black Porsche 928 Super Go-Bot Herr Fiend. Would like to find the rest of the Super Go-Bots. I thought they were a lot cooler than the smaller ones.
    As far as the tank treads, could you use some from the small RC tanks? I'm pretty sure there are some same size as the Super Gobot tanks. Try looking for some on ebay or your local hobby shops.

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Which would be like Hasbro buying out Mattel.

16. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    We almost got the Machine Robo Rescue toys on US shelves. Bandai was contemplating it and that is WHY Hasbro released the Universe "Machine Robo Rescue" Red Alert and Inferno...specifically to block the "Machine Robo" name in the US. Pretty much the olny reason to use the name and while, yes, I know it's business it was still a dick move...

17. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Which toy line actually came out first? Go-bots or Transformers? I think they were the same year 1984, but I remember Go-bots coming out a tad earlier.