GM's profit plunges 90%

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by netkid, May 3, 2007.

1. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    it broke 3 here too omega

2. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

I think part of the reason that profits fell so much is that they're in a HUGE transition in manufacturing and development now. They're working on Zeta, Epsilon II, E-Flex and successors to the Delta and Theta, last I heard. I also heard they're working on a mid-size RWD platform (besides Sigma), but I think that was just rumor... what GM really needs is a transformation across the whole board, similar to what's happening with Saturn (they also need more Saturn dealerships...).

3. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i don't know many rich young people, but your observations don't match what i've found in real life. and that is i don't know many people, regardless of age, who wouldn't take the keys to a lexus over anything else, unless they have some gigantic hard on for one specific model. all of my nieces and nephews are in their 20s and teens (i'm 33). they ALL drool over the IS and the SC (and one loves the RX for some unknown reason).

now don't misunderstand me. while i've owned two toys, i don't have any excessive zeal for them, nor do i have anything against GM; in fact i hope they turn things around. i liked their recent advertising campaign, thought it was cute. i also agree the toyota brand (not their lexus cars) is severely lacking in the performance department. in fact, i'm planning on purchasing the upcoming challenger.

4. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I will be adding two more GM's to the stable shortly. 08 CTS-V (maybe that G8) and an 08 Camaro will put me at 6 cars in the driveway, ALL GM. My wife finally saw the light and dumped the hype when our supposedly super reliable Honda is starting to have multiple annoying problems. I love our 05 TL, nice car for the money, but I will take a 400hp V8 sedan for the same money please. Before anyone tells me that it'll guzzle $3.25 gas, my SS gets better highway mileage than the TL, unless its got 100-110 octane in it and my foot gets heavy. Hondas and Lexus' are overrated. My mom drives a SC430 and pops has a LX470? parked next to his Z06. Both Toyotas are boring marshmellow cars that anyone that considers themselves a "driver" would be bored to tears in. BMW is overrated too. I find Nissan/Infinity getting interesting, I'll never own a mitsubishi again. GM is supposedly going to offer leather/suede dash and door covering on all cars over 30K. The 08 Vette will have the entire interior covered in leather as an option, and its standard on the new CTS. The build quality/materials issues will soon be gone completely, and styling is turning around nicely.

5. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    a woman on the news had a suv which are gas hogs... she got $86 of gas

6. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think some of the GM stuff is more stylish than Chrysler, but I am a Ford guy anyways. I've owned a Thunderbird and two Focus' and loved them all. I really like Mazda and Volvo too, but those are Ford owned to one extent or anouther.

My second focus is at 88,000 miles with nothing but oil changes, tired, and a brake job.

I think part of the US cars are unreliable is the propaganda of foriegn car companies. There was a time when it was true but now adays the line isn't so fine.

7. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Ehh, this is becoming off topic, so I'll stop at this point.

I'll give you that the clip was funny, especially the guy saying "Prie-us" instead of "Pree-us".

Other than that, I haven't had a single problem like that guy said. My middle panel doesn't rattle and has no foam rubber "things". I've never had a problem with acceleration or not being able to go fast enough. Regular gas is cheaper than diesal around here. 45mph is still better than most of the cars on the road. So what if it doesn't make the world greener, I didn't buy it for that anyway.

The only thing I know about the electric car is that it can go 100 miles on a full charge.

Sorry if this sounds rude. I'm not trying to piss you off, just stating my experience.