GM's profit plunges 90%

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by netkid, May 3, 2007.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

and

$540 million less than last year, of which only $115 million is attributed to GMAC. That's still $425 million in losses. And the Big Three being in financial trouble has been common knowledge for several years now. Just one Google search shows a variety of articles (and even a book) detailing that. The housing market is certainly a part of all that (not just GMAC, but it's effect on the economy as a whole), but I don't think there's a solid argument saying it's the major cause.

2. 35InchMudders

35InchMudders Well-Known Member

Gas guzzler? Over generalize much? GM has plenty of vehicles that get oustanding mileage that compete directly with Toyota... I guess you're one the people falling for Toyota's Prius advertising campaign? Anyone who has any taste or feel for quality wouldn't touch a Prius with a ten foot pole. The car is literally a tin can that rattles and feels dirt cheap. It's a compromise on EVERYTHING to keep the weight low. That's not advancing technology, that's pushing out crap just so they can preach how they're clean and friendly. Sad part is, too many are falling for it.

GM coming out with their Zeta platform, and pushing for the E-Flex platform is really promising, and guess what? The cars LOOK good, and people who care how their vehicle looks might actually want to buy it.

Toyota can't design worth a shit, all their cars are boring, lacking any designs that push the envelope. The only vehicle that has any quality exterior design is the 07' Tundra.

This is a transition period, with more changes happening in the automotive industry than ever before. A lot of the media hype and scare tactics are getting lame, it's not as bad as they make it seem...

One more thing, I can't believe I wrote all that to someone who says "PWN"...

3. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    Just read an article yesterday that talked about how much they were paying out in pensions too and that they are loosing all sorts of money that way.

4. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Wow a more false statement I have not read in a long time...GM/Ford both have plenty of vehicles that get just as good or better gas milage then the Japanese cars. That has been true for a while now. True there ARE gas guzzlers, however don't be fooled....Toyota and Honda both have cars that can be considered gas guzzlers as well....

5. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I'd just like to say that both of my GM vehicles (Chevrolet) are 35 years old and still running strong.

I think the American car companies problems lay in the fact that they are still paying pensions to all those old factory workers from years ago. I read somewhere that it translates into about 3500 being tacked on to the cost of each new car sold by GM.

6. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

Not to mention that Consumer Reports recently did an article about how car manufacturers flat out LIE about gas mileage capabilities. Both Honda and Toyota were the biggiest offenders. They tested a Honda (a Civic, I believe) that the sticker boasted close to 50 mpg, and got a whopping 23 mpg in the CR test.

7. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

This all sounds very complicated. Glad I'm not a car person...

8. 35InchMudders

Yeah, if I remember correctly, Toyota recently had to modify their claims for their Hybrids because they were proven false in day to day driving.

Toyota is definitely good at twisting the truth in their favor, they do it all the time, even recently with their claims on the Tundra. They're taking the low road in the war for the US market, and it's sad to see so many people taking the bait.

9. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    well, thankfully, my dealer checked off the 'rattling and dirt cheap feeling delete' option when i ordered my prius. in fact, the fit and finish is quite comparable to my 2000 celica, which is not a hybrid. also, i haven't had a single problem and i'm in my 4th year, but that goes without saying. honestly, as you actually pointed out, people don't buy a prius for speed or luxury ameneties, so we're not falling for anything. we know exactly what we're getting and why we're getting it. and it IS quite clean.

there's a reason that lexus sits perched high atop the automotive world, thoroughly dominating in every category with 'design' right up there. ask anyone who drives a lexus and they can tell you why. there isn't a GM marque that comes close.

10. 35InchMudders

Great, if it fits your needs, fantastic. Compared to other vehicles, the fit and finish, materials used, etc. is below par.

There's no denying that Toyota uses the Prius as a mask to promote an image of a company that is the cleanest, greenest, and everyone else is evil. Everytime I see the commercial where they're claiming a Hybrid will create greener grass, bluer skies, etc, etc, I have to laugh my ass off. Yeah, well, until battery manufacturing becomes eco friendly, it's not helping the environment at ALL.

Cadillac... with designs that blow any Lexus out of the water. Lexus design is all over the place, no passion in sight. It seems they can't break away from the Toyota design mentality. There's not a single Lexus model that stands out on the road. They take heavy influence from other high end brands, and mix it all up in a bowl.

Seriously, nobody in the industry considers Lexus as a leader in design. Quality, technology, comfort, sure, but design? No.

Here's a comparison shot
    Lexus LX
    [​IMG]

Cadillac Escalade
    [​IMG]

11. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

It's not just Toyota that had to drop their mileage estimates, every car company had to do so. As it is, we still get great gas mileage from out Prius (which is an excellent ride, by the way). I can't believe that there were people that actually believed the mileage estimates anyway. I thought it was common knowledge that they were full of shit.

And for me, it was never about "saving the environment" anyway, it was about using less gas.

12. honestgabe

honestgabe I

I love my scion tc. For a two door hatchback coupe, its surprisingly roomy for both driver and back seat passengers. My buddy who's over 6 feet can sit in the back comfortably with out complaint. And I like the exterior design, panoramic sunroof FTW. I mean...its not pushing the envelope aesthetically as that turd the Aztec, heh.

13. 35InchMudders

14. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

I was PISSED when the Honda Odyssey I bought got no where close to the advertised mileage estimates. Highway was advertised at 28 mpg and if I fill up a tank and do nothing but highway at 65 on cruise control, I can get 23ish. I don't get 21 city mpg, I get 17 mpg. That's practically fraud.

I complained multiple times to the dealer and even had it checked. They said it was "in line with specs" and there was nothing they could do.

About 6 months after buying the van, all the car manufacturers had to drop their estimates.

15. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    blow any lexus out of the water? highly subjective. i don't dislike the exterior asthetics of cadillacs, but as an entire package, there's no way you could give me or most other people a cadillac, the best GM has to offer, over a lexus. and that's the theme of this thread. yeah, cadillacs may look sharp, they may look sharper than lexuses in some people's opinions, but they have quite a bit of catching up to do to reach lexus levels.

meanwhile, you give me the impression of somebody that is or was either employed in some way by GM or works for a GM dealer. no other way to explain your excessive zeal for GM along with your hatred for toyota. GM only has itself to blame for toyota overtaking them.

16. 35InchMudders

And your excessive zeal for Toyota?

No relation to anyone who works for GM or to GM, other than owning a GM brand, which has given me nothing but pleasure. I don't HATE Toyota, but I would never drive one. In my opinion, they offer nothing that gets the blood boiling. No passion, they're just for point A to point B driving.

I don't see where you see Cadillac lagging behind either, have you ever driven an 07 Escalade, or any newer Cadillac? Quality, power, presence, all equalling a package that really gets one excited.

Lexus offers a lot of gimmicks, like the auto park feature (which is highly considered a joke, unless you live in a small town with no traffic, maybe then you can a minute setting up the computer to park,) and some other interior gimmicks. I'm not one for gimmicks, I enjoy pure energy from the whole package, design, power, quality, purpose. I have never been one to get that excited because a vehicle offers tables that pull out from the back of seats for the rear seat passenger and such.

How many rich young people do you see driving a Lexus? None, because it's a boring brand designed for people 40+.

17. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

If I wasn't contemplating starting a business, I'd go out today and buy a Chrysler 300 SRT8.

I'm not a fan of Cadillac or Lexus. :D 

18. honestgabe

honestgabe I

I actually see quite alot of young rich people driving a Lexus. More so than Cadillacs. In fact the only place I see Cadillacs are either at the Veteran's Lodge or at the retirement community near the YMCA.

19. 35InchMudders

To emphasize my point of Cadillac vs Lexus, they're both the high end divisions of each manufacturer, but it's still apples vs oranges. Cadillac is gearing for aggressive performance and styling, with luxury added into the mix. Lexus is taking the other road, they're more like Limo's. Comfort is their emphasis, with lots of interior amenities to make you feel like a king. You don't want to drive a Lexus, you want to be chauffeured in one.

I think this Motor Trend article gets it

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0307_luxury_sport_convertible_comparison/index.html

20. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

This whole situation is depressing as hell to me, I work for Ford on an assembly line and this just makes me nervous. Plus, it's worse that I work on the F-150, a "gas guzzler".