GM To Shut Down Hummer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Sinister, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No offense to those who own one, but thank god.

3. Deathnoble

Deathnoble Aristocratic Assassin

For real... Didn't they start out as military vehicles? Did they really need to become commercial vehicles?

4. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Someone explain to me in lamen's terms why Ratchet needs a new alt. mode? If a model car isn't produced anymore doesn't mean it can't be advertised in movies. How many movies have we seen with Ford cars from the 1930's in it?

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Because the deal with GM (and whoever else) to make ratchet a hummer, bee a camero, and ironhide a topkick, etc. was to market vehicles that were for sale, hopefully increasing sales of those vehicles.

There is no point in advertising a product you cannot sell. Ratchet may not get a new alt-mode, maybe he will, or maybe he'll simply be written out, given how much screen time and the number of lines he had in ROTF.

6. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

Yes they did. Americans love big SUVs, and the Hummer soon became a status symbol.

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Good. Those damn things are an eyesore of wasted space.

8. Tyrannosaur

Wasn't the car that Ron Witwicky drove no longer mass produced for sale? As well as the numerous old cars that were in Bobby Bolivia's dealership? So if that division of GM is shut down doesn't that mean nobody needs to buy the rights for it to be used in something entertainment related, right?

9. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

what does arnold have to say about this?

10. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Even the Hummer Limo?

I think this is just another brand that ran its course. Each successive iteration moved it farther and farther from the original idea of the car, catering more and more to changing consumer habits, until now either the gulf between what the hummer is and what customer wants is simply too large to bridge, or that the hummer has changed so much from a humvee that it no longer seems true to what made the original concept attractive to people in the first place, in essense losing its own brand identity which it relied on to sell.

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Actually no, not that. That was the only thing about the whole brand that made sense.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Dude, you're missing the point. Think about this from a common sense perspective for a second.

- The Transformers movie FOCUSES on robots that turn into cars (and vice versa.)

- The key, attention-getting characters/vehicles in the movie ARE THE ROBOTS THAT TURN INTO CARS.

- It would, therefore, make sense, to make those cars available on the market, since people will be focusing their attention on the robots/cars throughout the movie.

I mean, honestly. That's just common sense. Nobody got psyched up to go buy an MG Spitfire just because Witwicky's dad was driving one.

13. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

I like the Hummers.

Don't forget about the high gas prices and the low MPG a Hummer gets.

14. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Correction: Some Americans love them. ;)  Those folks who like to drive around pretending they are in some kind of indestructible tank and have never actually seen a post-accident Hummer bearing an uncanny resemblance to a crumpled soda can.

And anyway, if I know my country I am sure the Hummer is being swept aside to be replaced by the Canyonero.

15. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    dont worry fellow hummer lovers gm has found two possible suitors for hummer

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It's about time, the novelty's wore out anyway.
    Rappers are going to need something else to roll blunts in now.

17. Tyrannosaur

Ok, it's not produced anymore. I get that. But that doesn't mean they still can't use it. And if hummer sales are in decline does it matter about advertising?

Plus, when was the last time you heard "OMFG I LOVE RATCHET I'M GONNA GO BUY A 50,000 CAR AND SPEND $1,000 A WEEK FILLING UP THE GAS TANK!" ?

It was a hummer modified into an ambulance/S&R vehicle. The original vehicle isn't produced anymore. And why let all that money put into desiging the vehicle go to waste?

18. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    I was lumping that in as a consumer trend, but yeah, people seem to be interested in smaller, more efficient cars now compared to hummers.

I'm sure we could go into intricate detail on the potential marketing motivations that have led to the hummer's decline in popularity, as its likely pretty complex and dealing with a lot of factors.

Simple: GM didn't arrange to have those cars placed in the movie. And besides that point, Sam doesn't end up buying any of those cars, does he? They're even portrayed in the movie as either something unattainable (the porsche), or something undesirable (VW bug bumblebee). Sam ends up with a GM, and since he's the identifiable character for self-insertion of the demographic they were focusing on, that's the kind of behavior they're potentially trying to reinforce.

Also, no. If GM still owns the division, and shut it down, all the assets, including designs, rights to models in entertainment, etc. etc. remain GM property, and infringement on their rights to those assets is still as illegal as it was before. That being said, noone is likely to care if someone uses a hummer in a movie, provided the hummer is not a centrepiece designed to make the movie producer money. That would probably be when GM would get a little angry.

As an example, a CEO could come to a meeting driving in a hummer, and this would be legitimate use, so long as the hummer wasn't mentioned by name, an essential part of the plot, or used as a selling point for the movie ("See Space-exec and his Hummer This June!"). Contrast this with trying to mass-market and sell merchandise based on the talking humvee spacemobile in your movie, which would likely cause problems.

In the case of Transformers, I don't think any of us know the specifics of the deal. Maybe GM wont care about Ratchet and they'll just keep him as a hummer, but if he's going to be a main character in the third movie, it is easily possible, even likely, that he will get some kind of makeover. Makes it easier for Hasbro to sell new toys, too.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  19. Tyrannosaur

But Bay and Co. could still use it, right? If they bought the rights to use the vehicle. Something tells me they're gonna bump the budget of TF3 another 50 million.

Or better yet, not show Ratchet in vehicle form at all. That works. OR better yet, just redesign the grille/front end of the truck and anything that mentions Hummer H2 on it. That could also work.

20. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.