GM promotions.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by whisky13, Feb 25, 2009.

1. whisky13

whisky13 Member

General Motors is pushing the images of the camaro, stingray concept, the beat (spark) and the trax. Why is there no promotional images of the GMC Top kick and the hummer? There was no mention of them at the car shows or on the GM/Transformers website/press release. Maybe this has been posted enough times to frustrate others. But I am curious. Does anyone ave a quick answer so this thread can die?

2. 35InchMudders

35InchMudders Well-Known Member

The "Topkick" is based off of a commercial truck, it's then modified by aftermarket companies into pickups. It's not a big seller for GM to the public, mostly businesses.

HUMMER is going through hard times, it'll either be discontinued or sold by March 31st. It's unfortunate, they're great offroad vehicles that have been plagued by ignorance from the vast majority of the public. Even though there are vehicles that are still being sold that get worse mileage than HUMMER's, the uneducated always use HUMMER's as the symbol for everything that is wrong with the world (yes, people can be that ignorant and shallow.)

3. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I think it makes perfect sense for GM to lessen the advertising for a dead/dying brand like the Hummer. They're basically giving free advertisement for whichever poor sap is stupid enough to buy the Hummer off GM's hands. Thus, Ratchet is gonna be relegated to the "laboratory".

I honestly don't have a CLUE why GM would make the Beat and Trax as idiotic as they made them out to be. These are the cars that they're hoping to be the bread and butter for the future. These are the small cars America needs and GM portrays the cars as the most retarded looking robots ever. Talk about ruining a brand with bad marketing before the car is even made! And once again, GM proves with its ineptitude why its teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

4. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol 

5. whisky13

whisky13 Member

Well that sting ray concept will NEVER be a production car. It is just a concept. The Top Kick is just another useless truck men buy as a dick extention, similar to the Ford F550, all the power and no where to use it.

Well the Beat and Trax are just Americas answer to the Toyota Yaris and the Honda Fit. Unfortunately they are just as useless and ugly. The only difference is one set turns into Japanese characters and the other is from Japan.

6. lastsonofkrypton

lastsonofkrypton Well-Known Member

So you hate trucks and small fuel friendly cars, your more of the Sedan type I'm guessing or do you hate all cars in general lol Maybe you just hate American made cars?

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I just think they shouldve included the 2 door Cadillac in the movie and made him Tracks. That way, they couldve advertised that brand a little more.

8. whisky13

whisky13 Member

Hahahaha I guess I came off a little more harsh then I intended. I just think over-sized trucks and undersized cars are useless, but to each its own. My dream car is a Tacoma, functional and realistic.

9. Roadtrack

Roadtrack Well-Known Member

I would like to see an Autobot Dodge Caliber, an Autobot Audi Q7 and a Decepticon Dodge Charger

10. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    Hummer is dying, and the Topkick isn't really a big public seller. It's a shame about hummer, they had some great ideas and good intentions but unfortunately they got led down a bad path. The people that bought hummers and tricked them out with mad rims and bling are partially to blame for the collapse, another group responsible would be the people who just don't need something that big, the egomaniacs and the ignorant. Hummers are fantastic military vehicles(they can be outfitted to do just about anything and can go almost anywhere) but as per usual one demographic spoils it for the others.

As for the beat(spark) and trax, I have a theory on why the robots look the way they do. They are unconventional looking, ugly even, but their role in the movie will probably be significant, maybe something to do with sacrifice or overcoming adversity or (i don't really care, something). This pushes the old adage of "don't judge a book by it's cover" by showing them as something really good. Considering the state of the economy, environment and world oil supply, this would be a positive push for both new cars as they come onto the market. Push them as underdog heroes, modern day incarnations of quasimodo or cyrano.
    I admit, I do kind of want a Holden Spark(that's what they're coming out as in aus), much as i love my pug 505 gti exec it does put a lot of strain on the fuel budget and it wasn't really designed to burn clean.

11. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Fixed.

As for your take on "tha Twinz", I have to STRONGLY disagree. Like I said before, there is a difference here that you seem to be easily overlooking. Maybe you WANT to believe whatever it is you believe so you will not see the facts as they are. These are EXTREME comic representations of retard-bots. They aren't at all what you're saying. And they will not come across that way. I will guarantee that. Even going off the one bot's bio - his PERSONALITY will be that of a mentally handicapped robot.

Take a look at LOTR for another example. Even GOLLUM by the movie goers who never read the book thought he was comic relief. I remember the audience roaring with laughter whenever Gollum would have those self-conflicted arguments with himself. They thought it was comic relief. And Gollum was MUCH darker than these hillbillybots.

Add buck teeth, make one of those buck teeth a gold tooth, add a neurotic expression, and ears the size of his head to Gollum and there would have been no way Gollum would have been taken seriously as anything close to what you're describing.

12. 35InchMudders

We won't know for sure until March 31st about the fate of HUMMER. Regardless, there will be enough in the used market to continue to haunt you forever Superion33, and that makes me so happy I can't even begin to tell you. :p 

13. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol 

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

In part it could also be that every move they make now is seen in a critical light since the US government is about the only hope left of the company staying afloat now until business can turn around. It could be they decided to focus on those models since there might have been public uproar if they had focused on more gas heavy models instead.

Only a guess but I imagine even their ad department is on tough times just like the rest of the company so even the big events have to be scaled back because they just don't have the money to pour into events like they could when the company was in good shape.

15. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Over the last year that you and I have been speaking, everything I have been saying has been more true than anything that you've been saying. You started off saying how Hummer was in great shape and even with the facts on the ground show that the company is a dud, you won't admit it. If it truly was as great as you say, someone would have ponied up SOME amount of cash, but no one has. Who in their right mind would buy a gas guzzler that gets less than 15 mpg in a future of energy conservation and dwindling fossil fuels? ICEs (internal combustion engines) will soon be a relic of the past. Much like the horse drawn buggy. Smaller electric cars are the future and I feel sorry for those not prepared for the change.

16. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Thats a no brainer, Ash. The US taxpayer would be FURIOUS if we gave GM BILLIONS of dollars and they kept making the crap that got them into this mess in the first place. That'd be a no-no. In fact, the government WANTS to see what these sorry companies have in the future as far as alternative fuel vehicles. And the tougher CAFE standards that the auto companies had been fighting for decades now might have actually saved their butts had they allowed the regulations to be instituted. They kept saying how their companies would be hurt by these regulations and now we find out that those same regulations are what would have kept them from going bankrupt.

These companies ARE bankrupt now except for the government pumping in billions of dollars a month into those sorry companies. GM itself is hemorrhaging 100 million a day.

The funny thing is they still don't learn. They allowed the Beat and Trax to be marketed as cars for retards. I'm sure that will help their branding of those same cars in the future. And they made Sideswipe as the one "cool" car that no one will ever own since he is a concept car.

17. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Incorrect. Ed Welburn stated the Trax and Beat were designed to show small cars could be cool and Bay chose them because he liked their underdog appearance. And can we honestly stop throwing the word "retard" around? I know Tropic Thunder was hilarious and all but that scene was meant to show Kirk Lazarus was a jerk.

18. 35InchMudders

Don't kid yourself, you're nothing but a media lemming that regurgitates what your local newspaper or blog has been on about. Everyone knows HUMMER was the #1 target for the eco-nuts, even though the blame wasn't deserved considering there were many more vehicles that do a lot worse and are produced in amounts that dwarf the HUMMER production numbers.

Anyone who truly believes that diesels and gassers will soon be a thing of the past is delusional. Electric is barely even working for a high-end sports car, and you think it'll be a solution for all vehicles including 4x4's and transport trucks anytime soon? It's laughable. Not to mention it's not a solution at all.

BTW, you've never answered the question, what GM cars have you owned, what years, what models. You're good at running in circles, but you never seem to answer questions. You'd be a good politician... :thumb 

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Maybe it's just the really evil part of me, but I think I'd be happier with getting a ticket for the second movie if they did have a scene it where Kirk Lazarus was telling the twins "you never go full retard".

Perhaps someone will do something like that for You Tube once we have some movie clips out there to do it with. Given all the fan uproar about if the twins are "retarded" or not it could be pretty funny.

20. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

No, its not delusional. You are. Fossil fuel is FINITE! Ask anyone and they will say there is only so much oil and gas you can extract from the ground. You WILL run out. So I think someone who believes that diesels and gas powered cars are forever is delusional.

Tesla has a high end sports car that is all electric and goes 0 to 60 in something like 3.6 seconds. Thats Lambo speed.

Why do I have to tell you anything about my personal life? As if my owning a GM vehicle proves something one way or the other. Can you not debate an issue without making it personal? As if my owning/not owning a GM somehow strengthens/weakens my position. Its like a person saying a person can only discuss war if they themselves have been in one. Which is pure faulty logic at its finest. Kthxbye