Customs: Gluing before or after painting?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by stratonrye, Mar 26, 2012.

1. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

I've been working on a X-over Cap/Ironman to Roadbuster custom for a little while now but got held up on finishing it because I didn't have all of RB's accessories that I needed to finish him. Spoonman came to my rescue and sold me some awesome casts of all the parts I wanted but then I realized I had a new problem. I thought I could just glue the parts I got (the front bumper and leg armaments specifically) directly where they go and then prime and paint them. Then I realized that the back of the pieces would be visible later and I would have to paint them their right colors which is going to be a pain to do because of how close they are to other parts when attached that are completely different colors. This problem is made worst by the fact that,other than primer and sealer/topcoat, I'm completely hand painting this. I know I could try masking the parts as I paint but I really hate making and I'm also super anal about having the details perfect on everything (hence why I'm worried about this in the first place) and would want even the backs of things to look good if you could see them even a little bit. So (finally:eek: ) my question is can I just paint everything apart and then glue them together or is it better to glue it together bare plastic to bare plastic (or bare resin in this case)? Have any of you guys run into similar problems? What did you end up doing? I guess a couple other options would be to mask the places where I'm going to put glue before painting or just sand off all the paint on the glue spots after completely paint them. Are either of these worth doing? Thanks in advance!

PS: Feel free to tell me that I'm just getting too wrapped up in the details or to get over myself and just mask it if you want too.

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Most of my work has been painted after doing all mods. I hand paint most of my stuff, but I've sprayed a few projects after doing mods also. I'd say pick up some Frog Tape & mask off the parts you need to, then carefully hand paint around the tape. Once it's dry, carefully peel back the tape & go again.

As for painting parts & gluing them together afterward, I wouldn't suggest it. Sometimes, the paint can react with the glue & you'll end up with a part that simply won't glue or stay. Now if you rough up the parts after painting, it might help, but I've honestly never tried this. I've always found it best to glue plastic to plastic (or styrene), then paint. Hopefully you'll get some more tips & ideas to help you out, bro!

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Eh, the standard is to always do your mods first, and then paint, but i've had to add some parts here and there after painting and the glue's always held strong for me. That said, i'd still recommend gluing first wherever possible, as it will be stronger (i've encountered parts where the glue bond didn't break, but the paint did rip off one side, causing one part to fall off).

I'd be inclined to agree with Punk and say you're better off gluing and masking.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yep, typically you're better off doing your mods first, and then painting. Both of these guys did a really good job describing all of that. :thumb 

5. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Cool! Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll glue on the leg armaments before painting them then. The bumper I actually have to use "the paint first, then sand the spots to be glued method" because I already painted the part I need to glue it to (this was before I had the bumper piece). I just realized that I could probably just prime the bumper, sand, and then glue it though and not have to completely paint it before gluing it like I was originally thinking, so that's a good too. Thanks again for the help!