Customs: glues/adhesives / G1 prime trailer

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Moroni Prime, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    I have a spare trailer for my G1 prime, here's the situation:

I want to remove the busted hinge from the good trailer, and transplant the good hinge from the junker. I was thinking of taking it clean off, sanding down, and glueing (sp?), but I'm not sure exactly where to start. My MAIN question... if I were to remove the entire rectangle (part containing hole), what would be the best glue to use to attach the transplant?

I know that alot, if not most, glues are known to have some kind of acidic base (oxymoron?, *rimshot*), and thus can dissolve/destroy the plastic. All I mean to do is bond the parts, not melt/corrode the plastic if I can help it. However, I also want to see to it that The adhesive is the strongest available, and will hold under useage (not active play, but the occasional transformation while displayed).

Any help will be greatly appreciated with either task (suggestion for best glue, or method of transplanting hingepiece).

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I think something like Plastic-Weld would work well for this, I think that is what it is called.

Basically, its MEK. While it does melt the plastic, its such a thin layer, I doubt you would be able to notice, plus its a very strong bond.

If you don't want to melt the plastic at all, you could try something like J-B Weld.

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I think something like Plastic-Weld would work well for this, I think that is what it is called.

Basically, its MEK. While it does melt the plastic, its such a thin layer, I doubt you would be able to notice, plus its a very strong bond.

If you don't want to melt the plastic at all, you could try something like J-B Weld.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Just for an idea, another thing you could try is buying a sheet of pretty thick sheet styrene, cut the hinges yourself (including some flash for the sides of the trailer,) and glue those on. Styrene is a smidge more forgiving than the plastic of G1 Prime's trailer, so it might stick around for longer, following the repair.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Just for an idea, another thing you could try is buying a sheet of pretty thick sheet styrene, cut the hinges yourself (including some flash for the sides of the trailer,) and glue those on. Styrene is a smidge more forgiving than the plastic of G1 Prime's trailer, so it might stick around for longer, following the repair.