Global Warming: It Gets Worse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CdnShockwave, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

BBC - Science & Nature - Horizon

Since I highly doubt that some people will actually read this article I'll sum it up briefly so that before you post out of your ass you have an opportunity to understand what the article suggests.

Basically, the gist of it is that for decades airborne particles released by the burning of fossil fuels has caused an increase in the amount of sunlight reflected back into space thereby offsetting the effects of global warming. Although, that causes a whole slough of other problems. However, we are now really taking air pollution (by way of airborne particles) seriously and have made efforts to clean up. However, as the air borne particles are cut, the cooling effect is cut as well, and with greenhouse gas emissions still rising it means the temperature increase from global warming could be far worse than we ever thought.

THINK BEFORE YOU POST.

2. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

One reason why we drive Hybrids and one electric truck.

3. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

So why you have -1 News Credits?

People really don't understand how much effect humans have an effect on nature. It to centuries or more to build up the hills that we are modifying to expand the 405 near the Getty Center.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You're right, Darkwing, humanity doesn't have a full understanding of its impact on nature around it. The functioning of even a single ecosystem is so complex and involves so many variables, its almost impossible to accurately model them all at once (at least at this point). As more and more research is performed, however, it's appearing that we have more and more impact than we ever thought possible, and that this impact carries with it dire consequences.

So the first thing we need to do is continue our research, to generate a greater body of results to draw accurate and defensible conclusions from. On top of that, however, the seriousness of current results is enough to justify action now, in terms of more sustainable practices and attitudes.

The important thing to remember, however, is that more sustainable practices do not always run parallel to increased costs/decreased performance. Many current technologies already represent potential savings over "standard" methods, both in the industrial and public sectors. As additional technologies mature, these potential savings become more dramatic and more numerous, especially if early adopters are willing to support the technologies in the beginning. More energy-efficient lighting and thermal insulation prevent wasted energy, for example, providing an environmental benefit that accompanies smaller energy costs, especially over time. It's important that as consumers, producers, and citizens, we look to the long term and the big picture as opposed to focusing predominantly on present results.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  5. Tigertrack

Remember, nature also has it's cycles. I'm sure we influence it by some, but nature pretty much does it on her own I think.

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They lost me at 'Horizon'.

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I saw that documentary when it came out. It's worrying stuff, but I think they overstate their case somewhat.

Right now I'm more disturbed by this. Looks like another year of heel-dragging. I dunno how they always manage to schedule these climate summits right in the middle of a cold snap.

I don't think anyone in the scientific community would deny that there are natural cycles of warming and cooling. Measuring these and the factors that drive them has enabled us to be even more confident that current climate change falls outside of the natural variability.

8. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

This article is Out of date. I used as part of science coursework ages ago.

9. G1Jetfire

G1Jetfire Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Has anyone heard of Climate Gate? And that the USA is the only industrial country not allowed to drill for oil in the Gulf? And the fact that CO2 is good for nature because the plant life turns it into oxygen? The greatest contributors to climate change are the earth sun and moon. Clouds caused by rain droplets, volcanic ash, and sand storms can block the sun and make it cooler. Since we didn't cause any of it, we cannot stop any of it. If humans cause it then why is the ice on Mars polar ice caps melting? And what is Venus' very violent weather effected by? Grow up people! Man caused Global-warming, climate-change, climate-crisis or whatever the experts decide to call it, is a hoax!

10. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope your right but I don't understand why its so hard for man to say "I've hurt the environment."

Do you think that McDonald's was there 400 years ago?:lol 

11. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Well yes, I'm certainly familiar with all the various straws people grasp at in an attempt to ignore the problem and continue business as usual.

12. G1Jetfire

Ebay:
    There is no problem to ignore. Believing that man and not forces beyond our control effect the climate is very arrogant. Climate-Gate shows that the scientists used flawed data to create the famous hockey stick chart. Who benefits from an monetary exchange of carbon credits? The very people behind the flawed data!

Al Gore's Documentary has been debunked. Most of what was shown was photo shopped. And why would he want to live on the California coast if he believed the oceans will rise "unless we do something right now." And why is it that India and China continue to become more industrialized while the USA (where 5.5% of the land mass is industrialized) must cut back on our way of life? You don't have to leave the city to see how clear the sky is. Try visiting any other part of the country where the air quality is healthier than you own home!

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Got any published results to back that up, champ?

And for the record, pretty much everything you've said in this post about climate change, extraplanetary weather conditions and international drilling standards is either incorrect or grossly inaccurate.

The Martian polar ice melting you're referring to is seasonal and are composed primarily of frozen CO2, not water, and a similar phenomenon happens on earth, although in recent years the melting has become more and more pronounced on earth while remaining fairly cyclical on mars.

Venus' surface isn't really covered in violent weather in terms of hurricanes and other meteorological phenomenae though there are numerous lightning storms caused by the presence of clouds of sulfur dioxide, the surface is extreme and inhospitable because its over 400C because Venus is way closer to the sun than earth. It's also inhospitable because the atmosphere is kept constantly at that high temperature day and night because of the greenhouse effect caused by high concentrations of carbon dioxide and sulfur dioxide, you know, those gases we've been pumping into our own atmosphere in increasing amounts since the industrial revolution. Oh, did I mention that the sulfur dioxide content in the atmosphere makes it RAIN ACID? Yeah, if anything we should be trying to add less of these same compounds into our atmosphere, so we remain NOT like Venus.

Clouds blocking the sun don't cause climate change, as the heat they absorb gets dissipated back into the atmosphere when the clouds clear or turn into rain. Volcanic ash in the atmosphere is in tiny concentrations relative to the size of the earth, unless you're directly by a volcano or possibly during the K-T event. When was the last time you could actually observe volcanic ash in the atmosphere, for example? What does block the sun, or at least ultraviolent spectrum light, is the ozone layer, and what traps the sun's heat on earth is carbon dioxide and methane, as on venus, and water vapor (before it turns into clouds). But since the level of water vapor in the atmosphere has remained relatively constant (though will increase if global temperatures increase), its the methane and carbon dioxide we should be worried about.

And as for that statement about the US being the only country not allowed to drill in the gulf, you realize almost 25% of oil production for the US occurs in the gulf, and that the majority of production is done through leases from the government, often by US companies like JRM, right?

But thanks for starting the inevitable "climate change isn't real" flamewar every one of these threads inevitably turns into.

14. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

So...producing carbon emissions = bad cause it causes global warming AND global cooling?

Would someone make up their minds already.

15. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I read it...............that's about it

16. G1Jetfire

Ebay:
    Where are we drilling in the Gulf of Mexico? There is a moratorium on drilling! And there has been ever since the BP oil rig blew up. Should we all stop driving and go back to the horse and buggy? Streets weren't cleaner then and sanitary issues were a huge problem. Do you think that cars that run on electricity will help the environment? What happens to the dead fuel cells? Why do you need a haz-mat suit to clean up a broken compact fluorescent bulb? Ted Kennedy was one of the biggest advocates for wind technology and refused to let any giant windmills be in stalled off of Cape Hatteras in the Atlantic because they would be an eye-sore. Those wind mills have killed birds and people. Birds are killed by the spinning blades and humans are killed by ice that flies of of them. Nothing that we are being forced to do in the name of saving the planet is saving the planet!

History is on my side. Because people in power have tried to stop progress in the industrialized world ever since we became industrialized. Every time we change our ways to meet their goals, they move the goal posts. This isn't about saving the planet. It's about power and control.

Want proof? Try this on for size:Climategate

17. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL, looks like a lot of propaganda. All I see is "Obama... OBama..."

Do you have any Scientific research?

18. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Awareness is not arrogance.

It's far more arrogant to deny the consequences of our actions. It's far more arrogant to assume we have the right to burn through millions of years worth of fossil fuel as if that's a sustainable situation. It's far more arrogant to assume that we can continue to pump out gigatons of carbon while simultaneously cutting down the planet's capacity to absorb it. It's far more arrogant to think we can do all this and expect it not to affect anything.

19. G1Jetfire

Ebay:
    Did you read any of it? there's proof that the scientists deliberately fudged the numbers to create the hockey stick graph.

20. Tigertrack

It's the Decepticons trying to steal Earth's energy resources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.