Heavy/Scratch: Gladky's Workshop Masterpiece Shockwave (New feet + Paint)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Gladky, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Gladky

Gladky Well-Known Member

Custom Transformers Masterpiece Shockwave

[​IMG]

Today I will show you secret project I have been working on for some time now. A friend of mine - Tenkarlos (who is also registered user of TFW) was not too satisfied with stock Masterpiece Shockwave so he asked me if I could do something with it. Here are the results.

Some of you can't see photos I have attached that are stored on Polish server. Sadly because of changes in Photobucket's terms of service I am unable to upload them here within the text. You can see copies of my photos in attachment section.

Videopresentation

First I would like to show you video of the figure and comparisons with stock Masterpiece Shockwave

For some reason in my film Shockwave's colour seems to be blue istead of purple. In reality colour is very close to Fans Toys Sovereign. Also the waist wasn't extended during shooting.

Fotogallery

I will not show you WIP photos here, because thread is already pretty full of pictures. Instead you can find a quick montage of them in my videopresentation above.

alt mode

[​IMG]

Shockwave's alt mode didn't change too much except new paint job. The idea for this custom was to make something close to original but with more premium finish.

[​IMG]

Original colour did not fit neither my nor my Tenkarlos' idea of Shockwave. That's why he got a new one - slightly darker and metallic.

[​IMG]

Grey parts were painted silver to match rest of the figure. I was even able to sneak in a few details like black lines under figures armpit. When Shockwave was ready I used gloss clearcoat.

[​IMG]

Small details like pegs ans joints were left unpainted to prevent future paint scratching and chipping.

[​IMG]

One of the biggest Masterpiece Shockwave flaws was huge gap in the handle. I found a way to cover it while I was working on new feet for the model. More details about them below.

[​IMG]

Robot Mode

Robot mode was modified with similar goals as alt mode. It was supposed to look like a premium version of the stock figure.

[​IMG]

Let's have a look at some changes I've made in the figure.

[​IMG]

One of the biggest complains about this figure concern its feet. Stock ones are too thin and short which makes figure look less impressive than it should. Because of that I have designed a new, unique set of feet just for this figure. Those have articulate heels and can extend to be much wider in robot mode. I also made new springs that won't put too much stress on custom feet.
    Now figue is about 2-3 mm taller than original and it has much better proportions.

[​IMG]

Painting figure plain purple would make it look dull so I have added delicate, dark purple within panel lines to make Shockwave look more natural.

[​IMG]

Back of the figure was also heavily modified. I even took some extra effort to paint the hands. My friend liked the stock colour but it wouldn't match rest of the figure. That's why I have added some pearl to give them a little bit of shine.

[​IMG]

Shockwave was not supposed to receive a paintjob so I had to adjust all of the tolerances. This way even though many panels move extremally close to each other paint chipping should be minimal or none.

Accessories

[​IMG]

Project such as Masterpiece Shockwave couldn't function without some painted accessories. Firstly I repainted the handgun that came with the figure to match Shockwave's alt mode.

[​IMG]

I have also repainted all the non-clear hands and stock feet, which can still replace custom ones if anyone chooses to do so.

[​IMG]

new colour can also be found on backpack cover/gun mode stand.

[​IMG]

Last thing to do was adding some Decepticon insignia. Those were custom made by my friend. Such minimalistic design fits much better with overall aesthetic than stock ones.

By the way I wouldn't recomment putting original stickers on the figure. Those didn't want to peel and when I removed them after a few months since appliance plastic underneath already faded.

Comparisons

Let's compare my custom Masterpiece Shockwave to some of the other figures.

EDIT: When I was making my photogallery I have forgotten to extend Shockwave's waist. This makes him about 2 mm taller and about 1 mm shorter than Soundwave. Tenkarlos promised to upload updated photos of figure in his collection so stay tuned!

[​IMG]

First - Masterpiece Soundblaster. Thanks to new colours and feet Shockwave finally stopped looking like a poor cousin of this figure.

[​IMG]

Next one in line is X-Transbots Apollyon.

[​IMG]

One more group shot of the Decepticons.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last but not least - Cloud 9 Quakeblast - one of the biggest competitors of Masterpiece Shockwave. I have to admit that now competition seems to be much more fair than when I compared Quakeblast with stock Shockwave in my review.

Summary

[​IMG]

Stock Masterpiece Shockwave had a lot of flaws. Probably one of the main ones was its price, which seemed inappropriate to what we got. No paint, strage feet proportions and lack of height didn't help the figure.
    After many hours of work Shockwave finally started to look as he should from the very beginning. With this type of setup I would be much eager to buy this figure. The figure belongs to my friend so it was modified according to his taste and aesthetics he preffers. I would probably add a few more painted details in my model.
    This custom however was supposed to look very close to original figure but much better and premium. Something in the lenghts of new Masterpiece figures and the + line. I believe now this customs fits them perfectly.

Thank you for visiting my thread. Please feel free to comment and ask questions. If you like my stuff feel free to subscribe to my channel where you can find more of transformers goods and some customs.

Also stay tuned for some more pictures and comparisons from Tenkarlos. He will probably share his opinion about this custom soon :) ​

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 16
  2. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm really digging those feet. Even though I have zero issues with the stock figure, the feet you made do look pretty nice.
    Any chance of making them available somehow?

• Like Like x 2
  3. vatarian

vatarian SPIDER8ITCH

I also rlly like those feet. I think a fair few people might bite if you were to, say, make more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Yes I hope TT does their own version one day... and give it a big tampo on top of the chest like the original toy!

5. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The feet are definitely an improvement over the original. Very nice.

6. Gladky

Gladky Well-Known Member

Thank you for all of your kind words:) 

Yaujta - Feet were scratch built and are one of a kind so at least for now I am not planning to make more of them. Those had to be really precisely made to fit in both modes. For mass-productionI should probably have to redesign them. However if I ever do so I will let you know:) 

vatarian - I will think about it in the future:) 

Wh33l JcK - their own version of feet or fully painted Masterpiece Shockwave?

TCJJ - Thank you!

7. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    That is some NO JOKE customizing going on there. Beautiful work!

8. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, this looks stunning! What brand of paint did you use for the purple? I'm very tempted to get a KO Shockwave now and attempt a similar project myself.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gladky

Gladky Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. angelic

angelic Well-Known Member

Damn, I wish this was for sale, fantastic.

11. Gladky

Gladky Well-Known Member

angelic - thank you! Sadly this one already has an owner :) 

12. tenkaros

tenkaros Well-Known Member

And a very happy one, I might add ;) 

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us.

14. Gladky

Gladky Well-Known Member

Tenkarlos - and that's the most important thing:) 

03Mach1- thank you very much. I am glad you enjoy it:) 

15. Devastaor275

Devastaor275 New Member

Ebay:
    Awesome love the way the color turned out

16. robh

robh Decepticon

Ebay:
    And that's the way MP shockwave should have looked. If it had, I would not have even thought about quakeblast, let alone get him.

17. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    Tammy nice. Are you planning on missing the stand to also attach in alt mode, over the back of the gun? It's almost certainly designed to do that, and looks like the feature was removed at the last minute.

18. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dig it!

19. Gladky

Gladky Well-Known Member

Devastaor275 - Thank you! I think the new colour and feet realy helped this mould a lot:) 

robh - That was the main idea. To make Shockwave look like it should have right out of the box. Clean, nice look with some needed tweaks. Personally I have chosen Quakeblast for my collection as well and I don't feel like buying MP because it is too expensive for what it offers.

primalxconvoy - Thank you! This figure was commissioned by my friend and it is back in his hands for some time already so I won't have any chances to make alterations :)  But if he would want me to make this mod I would probably do so. However he doesn't like the stand at all so it was painted basically just to match the rest of the figure and probably left in the box.

OMEGAPRIME1983 - Thank you! I am glad you like it.

20. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Fanstoys ZOMBIE 01

I've always believed that paint can truly transform a figure. Heck, even older action figures (like tiny M.A.S.K humans) can be refreshed into something new and exciting with proper paint finishes.

You did an awesome job, this is how a MASTERPIECE figure should look. Take notes Takara.