Giving Up On A Grail

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Star Saber, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Hey guys, just wanted to ask if anyone here has ever given up chasing a grail because of availability or price considerations? Been noticing that the 2008 Shattered Glass Optimus Prime has been showing up less and less on eBay and Junkion. I've also been noticing that the box set and older SG figures have been going up in price lately. Prime was already hard to justify for me then, and I'm kind of considering giving up on it. Anyone ever gone through this?

2. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

Oh yeah! Given up on many a grail! Some were a fair trade off in that I used those precious grail funds to do something nice for the kiddos instead. Some things, once I finally tracked them down, sparked a voice in my head that said "Yeah, you're never gonna own that one bud", or maybe that was my wife speaking. Either way, I am quite happy with the few personal grails that I did end up with along the way. Now that I don't collect so much anymore, I am considering taking all that $$$ and every once in awhile grabbin' me a grail. Also, at some point along the way, my grailf (grail shelf) was overrun with the lower class, impulses n rabble. Prolly just as well.

3. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    At this point I am sure you own a KO version. At least it is a nice stand in.

4. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Nope, never owned the KO, very particular about quality hehe, also didn't like paying that much for the KO either.

5. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    I considered buying SG Optimus when I first got into collecting. I thought $200 was a insane price.

I should of jumped then.

6. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Im surprised at some of the prices the sg's are pulling.

7. Star Saber

News Credits:
    I know, saw it for $100 early on soon after the Con. Should have jumped then, but I was on my collecting hiatus then :p 

Yeah, Megatron and Starscream seem to have gone up lately, and are pretty hard to find now.

8. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Always look around Junkion and put stuff in your sig. People here are very reasonable. Otherwise, I'm sorry youMre having to give up the
    hunt.

9. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    yeah, defo- I realise an awfully long time ago that alot of my Grails will not be attainable, but at the end of the day, I gotta be realistic and just be rational that they would not end up in my collection. And that's fine by me, no regrets and tbh, pretty much content with the number of awesome Grails collected in these past two-three years. :D 

10. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

The reason why I consider something a grail is because I know I'll probably never get it.

11. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Well, if I managed to get Black Super Fire Convoy, I probably wouldn't mind missing out on SG Prime :lol 

12. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    I can honestly say no,I have never given up on a grail,I think to give up on it would be like giving up on a dream.I can tell you I have had quite a few grails since coming back to TF's back 7 or 8 years ago,and found most of them tho there are a few I am missing,and even tho 1 or 2 may be unattainable I am not giving up hope.They are G1 Omega Supreme,G1 Trypticon,Pieces to fix my Fort Max,Beast Machines Magmatron,and Amazon Masterpiece Unicron or the Takara version.

But that is why they are considered grails,cause if they were not then you wouldn't try so hard,but as for me its like the old saying all good things come to those who wait,and even tho I want my grails so bad I can taste it I know eventually I will find them at the price I wanna pay.Finally I say just be patient and you will find your grail,it may take years but I think it will be well worth it.

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've given up on getting G1 Fortress Maximus and BotCon 07 GoD Dreadwind for precisely that reason. Can't justify spending several hundred to over a thousand dollars on any single toy.

14. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Isn't this the reason they are grails?

I mean you will be able to hunt it for years to come. One day you'll find it at the price your comfortable with or in a trade of some sort.

If it was easy, it wouldn't be a grail.

I guess the main thing is to not to obsess over it. Then when you come across it, it is a nice surprise. I got SG Alpha Trion for $160 off of here, when he was going for $350+ everywhere else.

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    You know, I've never given up on a grail yet .... But that's not saying much because I keep pushing back the purchase or saving up even more money for a better conditioned one, etc.

I get the struggle man. I waited for maybe 2 years before pulling the trigger on a SG Rodimus. I had a custom one done prior to that too. And 2 years isn't even a long time!

16. Star Saber

News Credits:
    I know what you mean. I waited almost 10 years to nab a Nucleon Quest Super Convoy for a great price last year, and practically about the same amount of time also for Black Big Convoy and Lio Convoy. It's just that those were always within a reasonable range of pricing, and I managed to find them at levels that were to my liking. Most other Botcon figures are about the same, unfortunately with only GoD, SG and the BW set being exceptions, and they're far more limited compared to my other grails, which makes my quest seem all the more difficult.

True, it's just getting annoying seeing them getting higher every year, and seemingly seeing less of it as time passes.

Oh and congrats on Alpha Trion, that's a fantastic price for the guy!

17. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Grand Max

18. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I gave up on all the G1 grails. I found myself looking at reissue and other in hand G1's and realized that I just wouldn't be happy with them, despite how much nostalgia I have, when I compare them to later releases by Hasbro or the third party. And truthfully, if it hasn't been touched by one of those at this point, it was typically rare enough or obscure enough I didn't have it as a kid.

I have one grail left, and a definitive line on it. Just raising cash (and getting permission from the wife now).

19. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Fort Max is really the only thing I would consider a grail for me, and I know that there's little chance of me owning him. but one day...

In the mean time, I pray that Hasbro releases a IDWesque one, as there's no way Fort MAx would ever fit on my shelf anyway lol.

20. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't know if you ever really give up on a grail.

I pretty much know I'll probably never get the Binaltech Nemesis Prime Wonderfest exclusive (I can't believe the $300-$400 he was going for right after now seems like a steal), but my eyes are always open.

The real question if I ever got one is would I open it. How can you not open a transformer? But given what they're worth...