Giving up coffee?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, May 2, 2007.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Or at least seriously cutting down.

I have cut back to one 16 ounce cup of coffee a day. I (seriously no exaggeration here) usually drink upwards of nearly a gallon of coffee a day (about five 24 ounce cups) and the health problems were becoming apparent - racing heart, being jittery, trouble sleeping, and finally my eyelid would twitch, this is when I decided I had to cut down.

The withdraws are horrible, I have had a seriously bad headache for almost 4 days now and feel fatigued, grumpy, and generally stressed out.

Has anyone else tried to do this?

If so how long do the withdraws last? This is almost as bad as trying to quit smoking!

2. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I drink atleast a pot a day. I couldn't imagine cutting down.

Wow though, a gallon of coffee?!

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I get coffee headaches all the time if I don't drink it in a day.
    Honestly I can't blame you for drinking so much, 5 kids + full time job= just makes me want to drink coffee more.

Good luck with cutting down. D_c

This may help

4. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Blah, I never could stand the taste of coffee but I had a similar situation with MOuntain Dew, I'd probably drink on average at least 4 or 5 cans a day. Anyways a few weeks back I was sick and for some reason just basically lost the desire for it, ever since I've been drinking Sprite(no caffeine supposedly) and trying to cut down my intake to maybe 2 or 3 cans of that a day, still hard though.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Not coffee, but I quit drinking sugary pop and energy drinks about a week ago. I was up to 3 of those huge energy drinks a day - not healthy at all.

I still allow myself diet pop and energy drinks, just no sugar. I feel marginally better so far, and there hasn't been any headaches or anything like that.

Maybe you could try decaf?

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    giving up coffee? inconceivable!

7. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

i gave up coffee, but i drink coke. 2 liter a day. I couldn't survive on less, i tried to give up coke all together but i became such an ass around the house and work the wife would buy it just to get me to come down a level or 5.

8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

You know whats funny, I have a few of those symptoms and I rarely ever drink caffeine.

9. polymorphic

polymorphic Bumblebee tuna!

I have gone down to 1 cup of coffee per day due to my heart racing. My dad has the same thing. I'm now 32 and used to drink many cups a day. Now my heart just hurts if I drink too much.

I was diagnosed diabetic 4 years ago (not even close to being overweight, either) and went from eating whole half gallons of ice cream, close to a 12 pack of coke per day, chocolate, etc. to absolutely no sodas or candy... in one day. In other words the next year or so not a single soda or sugary snack, period. My withdrawal was horrible, so I feel for ya.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    You'll be fine if you can go for a month without backsliding. Good luck!

11. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Never been that dependent on coffee. I have a cup in the morning most days, but not several and not throughout the day or anything.

'Course, I say this as I'm downing a Coke and smoking a cigarette, but I digress.

12. TestDrive

TestDrive razzle dazzle

I cut back once every couple months it sucks for the first couple of weeks, could never give it up completely though.

13. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I don't drink that much coffee. But I did have to quit smoking twice. First the green tobacco, then this year the brown. I feel great but the first month was tough both times. Hang in there man. YOU CAN DO EET!!

14. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

I love coffee too much to give it up, but I don't drink a gallon a day. I usually drink between 10 and 12 cups a day during the week, but only 2 or 3 on weekends.

Plus, I counter the "upper" factor in caffeine with copious amounts of booze.

15. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Yeah, once I set down and did the math, I was like, "HOLY SHIT!!!"

Like I said, I'm not giving up completely, just cutting back to 16 ounces a day.

Some of the other posts mentioned soda, I have not drank soda in almost 3 years, too many calories, and I gain weight too easily.

16. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I could never give up coffee. I have a caffeine addiction (get migranes without it) and coffee is my preferred intake method. It would be suicide if I cut it out of my life completely. Not for me, mind you, but for anyone who crossed my path.

As it is, drinking more than three 10-oz mugs of coffee a day makes my urine smell exactly like coffee. I can't imagine that's a good thing.

If I had to choose between giving up coffee or giving up smoking, I wouldn't be able to do either as one addiction is used to balance the other, and crack is too fucking expensive.

17. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I do not touch caffeine. I can not imagine even using it, not even during my 16 hour day at work yesterday on 2 hours sleep.

18. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I can't stand coffee, but i'd probably bleed tea if I cut one of my arteries. Never been into the booze either, doesent appeal to me for some reason and I prefer to shorten my life by killing my heart with food then killing my liver with alcohol.

I haven't touched soft drinks for a few years, althougth I just stopped wanting to drink it for no apparent reason rather then making any sort of health based decision to deprive myself.

19. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I drink between 1-2 pots of coffee a day. I counter the coffee by sometimes skipping lunch....

20. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Don't drink coffee, don't see the point. Plus tastes like crap.