Giving Stand Up Comedy a Shot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Repugnus, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Repugnus

Repugnus ActionMaster

News Credits:
    Giving Stand Up Comedy a Shot (UPDATED: 11-23-11)

Has anybody here ever given stand up comedy a try? I've spent years and years performing improv with the longest running troupe in the state, but I recently decided to take the plunge and take a shot at stand up (and boy, it's a completely different beast altogether!) For the past month or so, I've been doing as many open mic nights as I've had time for, and I think it would be cool to talk shop with people who may have done or are currently doing the same thing.

So like I said, have any of you tried stand up before? If so, what experiences have you had, good or bad? And are you still doing it?

Last night I uploaded a few youtube videos of my open mic sets, and it'd be great to hear what you think. Here they are, most recent to oldest:

EDIT: New link added! Open Mic Night 11-23-11

Open Mic Night 11-16-11

Open Mic Night 11-06-11

My FIRST Open Mic Night ever, 10-19-11
    (Since this last video was my first ever attempt at stand up, I have to admit, I was a little nervous and kinda rushed through things a bit more than I intended to.)

Anybody else have some videos of yourself doing stand up to share? From all the work I've been putting into this, I'm finding myself on a bit of a comedy kick, and so I'd be excited to check out some other people's sets too!
    :D 

2. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I can be kind of funny when I'm interacting with people.
    But I can't make a good joke for the life of me... if I did stand up it would be an utter disaster.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I don't have time right now, but I'll check it out in a couple of days when I'm free. If I don't post here again by monday, send me a visitor message to remind me because I've forgotten & don't wanna pass this up. :) 

4. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A dinobot, 2 sharkticons and a quintesson walk into maccaddam oil house...

Edit: i clicked the 1st, you werent bad dude, delivery wise. Materials still rough around the edges but u seem likeable enough that u dont come off as a douche, thats a plus.

5. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    No. People keep telling me I should be a comedian but I can never (and I mean never) make up jokes off the top of my head. All my family and friends tell me I should just do impersonations but wouldn't that get boring after awhile? I'm always told I can do a mean Hank Hill, Boomhaeur, various South Park characters, etc. but another problem is that I can never think of any dialogue to go with the voices. And one more thing: being on stage would kill me unless I'm wearing a mask or helmet like SlipKnot lol.

6. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

I thought about it before but never did go for it. That's so brave of you dude. Kudos.

Yeah the material is rough around the edges. Especially when you ended on a knock knock joke. Also I assume you did the race joke around a caucasian crowd. Honestly, I thought you were going to talk about how slow and steady only wins in bed.

7. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've done a couple of open mic nights a few years back, but due to [laziness/lack of motivation/insert any lame excuse here] I just kind of stopped. I keep telling myself I'll get back into it "one day" but you know how it is: life gets in the way.

I was always nervous with public speaking, but things have gotten better recently with the wedding speech and MC duties I've done for friends. In fact, I've never been more comfortable up on stage so perhaps now's the time to give it another shot.

When I get a chance I'll check out your vids. Currently at work right now and they block YouTube. Sorry I don't have any video or audo to share, though I'm sure the material would've been terrible anyways.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Many people keep telling me I should be on the stage (and I don't mean the first one outta town). I enjoy joking around and at my mother's birthday party last weekend I had the people on my table pissing themselves laughing all evening with me just making off the cuff observations about stuff happening and the various people at the venue.
    I dunno how good I'd be at sitting down and trying to write an actual act/set though. I suppose I really should start writing down any good jokes I make throughout the day as I tend to forget them as quickly as they come to mind and are said out loud.
    I've written a book with comedy in it (unpublished) and I'm in the process of writing a book that I'm trying to make 90% dialogue where almost every other line is comedy. I recently came back to read the first book a few years after writing it and I found myself sniggering at a lot of the jokes in it, which is probably kinda sad really.

I think really though the thing that keeps me from actually doing a proper stand up is that I'm uncomfortable with proper public speaking when a whole room is watching me. I did the Best Man's speech at my brother's wedding about eight years back and even though I'd written some great stuff my performance was awful. Not helped that the guy that did a speech before me had the guests in stitches, even though I didn't think he was particularly funny myself. Also half the room I'd never met before and the other half were people that knew I could be funny and were probably expecting something great from me.
    Making jokes in front of a few friends is easy. In front of a large room of strangers is not. But then I suppose if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

I might still one day actually try my hand at it proper though.

9. Repugnus

Repugnus ActionMaster

News Credits:
    Haha, nice! I've been determined to play it clean with my material, so my brain didn't even go in that direction!

One thing I've learned over the years of doing improv before trying my hand at standup is that some audiences want restraint on content, and some don't care (occasionally an audience will specifically want obscene humor, but more often then not, if it's funny, the dirty minded crowds won't care). In my personal opinion, if a person is only capable of doing an act that's dirty, then that greatly limits their prospective gigs to only doing shows without content guidelines. So for right now, I'm keeping it all as family friendly as possible. It certainly can be more of a challenge that way, but I think it's ultimately worth it.

Very cool! How did your sets go at the open mics you did way back then? And if you do it again (which I vote that you definitely should if you're feeling more comfortable onstage now), you should consider filming it and posting a link in this thread, 'cause it'd be fun to see it!

That's about what I've been doing. If I sit down to write, it feels a bit forced. But now that I've gotten into the habit of writing out stuff whenever I happen to think of something, I've got pages upon pages of material! A lot of it is really stupid jokes, mind you, but after tinkering with some of the bits in there, I've managed to put together a good amount of material that I'm pretty proud of.

10. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Your actually pretty funny dude.

I'd never do stand up, I forget every funny thing I say within the next day.

11. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I really enjoy standing up comedy and I'd love to try it one day. I would really need to prepare, but I think it would be fun.

I watched the first vid; you were pretty funny; You sound a lot like Chris Hardwick, but maybe it was the nerd talk. I liked the Batman bit, even though the crowd didn't really get it. The Twilight stuff is topical and a lot of people will understand it, but I think it has been do too much.

12. Repugnus

Repugnus ActionMaster

News Credits:
    Thanks! I definitely like Chris Hardwick, so I'll take that as a compliment. Though honestly, I didn't even realize until a few months ago that he does stand up. Before I recently started listening to his podcast, I had always thought of him as simply the Web Soup guy that seemed like Joel McHale lite.

And you are, of course, absolutely right about the Twilight stuff being a bit overdone. I wasn't originally planning on doing any of the nerdy jokes for the first half of that set, but nerdiness and the Twilight movies had been brought up earlier in the night, getting a positive reaction, and so I figured there really wouldn't be a better opportunity to try that material out on an audience. So I guess just chalk that one up to momentary weakness on my part. I still ended on the Knock Knock joke as I originally planned though, mainly because I found the idea of ending on a Knock Knock joke just way too ridiculous to pass up.

But anyway, it's off to another open mic tonight! Since tomorrow is Thanksgiving, I'm not sure if there'll be much of an audience, but hey, it's worth a shot.

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Joel Michale lite? That's pretty funny. I'm not too sure about his stand up roots, but he is certainly connected with the comedy song duo Hard and Firm. But it a complement for sure.

Speaking of podcasts... have you heard of Comedy Bang-Bang? (formally Comedy Death ray) Its Scott Aukerman with a special guest and a random character played by Paul F Tompkins or another stand up guy. Hilarious.

14. Repugnus

Repugnus ActionMaster

News Credits:
    I've heard of it, but I've never gotten around to listening to it. A buddy of mine keeps recommending it, but I haven't listened to it yet because... well, I don't really have a good excuse. I guess I've just been slacking and really need to get on that!

Also, despite this being the eve before a major holiday, tonight's open mic night was fantastic! The audience was great and it was a lot of fun! I recorded it (albeit with a crappier camera this time), and I can't help but want to share it, so here's the youtube link:

Open Mic Night 11-23-11

I think I might just go back and make an edit to my opening post in this thread and add this one to the list of links...

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Well done Logan, that had some decent hits for sure. The Proverbs part went over my head, but the crowd loved it (perhaps a salt lake city thing???) I did enjoy the Holiday Character bit for sure though...

Good luck with more!

16. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

I watched them. Like some have said the material is rough around the edges and needs to be refined. But you are likeable on stage and pretty funny. The only thing I would say is slow down a little bit and you need smoother transitions from topic to topic. But I think with time you could have a decent career at stand-up.