Give up on IDW?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Skystalker, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Skystalker

Skystalker Transformer Accumulator

Hello all,

I am a long-time Transformers comic book fan who recently sold off all of his Transformers comics except for the Marvel series. I had grown so discouraged with the countless variant covers for the IDW series that made it impossible to be a completist and still pay the bills (I know, I know, no one was forcing me to buy every cover). I'm thinking about going back and buying the trades of the IDW issues. Are the stories worth it? I haven't bought anything since about half-way through Escalation. How is All Hail Megatron related. Is it a fresh start?

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Eh. I'd stay away from All Hail Megatron, personally. I wish I had. It's billed as both a fresh start (reboot) but yet also set in the universe that Furman/Su created. It basically fails at both.

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I completly skipped Megatron Origins and All Hail Megatron and just bought the rest as tpb (-tion series, spotlights, maximum dinobots), so what I have read from IDW was real good.

4. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IDW has been the lamest TF comic run in my opinion.We can't have one single ongoing comic, we have to have countless mini-series everywhere. And now that we are getting an ongoing, the designs have been crapped on. I quit buying comics again middle of last year.

5. Boo

Ebay:
    But... Infiltration, Stormbringer, Escalation, and Devastation WERE an ongoing... sort of. Granted, the more predominant numbering scheme was that of each individual arc, but they were also numbered as an ongoing. If you have the individual issues, check near the barcode.

Now, it that being said, I completely agree that it was misshandled. And from Revelation on that aspect was dropped all together. *sigh*

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I gave up when my AHM #1-6 subscription ran out. More recently I picked up Maximum Dinobots TPB to tie up some loose ends. The ongoing doesn't interest me at all.

7. Boo

Ebay:
    The only thing coming out in the next several months that I'm even remotely interested in is Nock Roche's Wreckers book. That is a must buy.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I found the Devil's Due TF/GI Joe crossovers to be better than most of what IDW's done. I'll continue to buy the non-movie or reprint titles. The art is still mostly good and there's a great pizza place right by the local comic shop. I need something to read with my lunch.

9. Skystalker

Thanks for all your advice,

Now if they could only continue those Dreamwave stories somehow...

10. Skystalker

Thanks for all your advice,

Now if they could only continue those Dreamwave stories somehow...

11. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Now THIS I would love to see! Say what you will about the company, but I loved their G1 storyline.

12. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    As someone who's only started reading the Marvel, IDW, and Dreamwave books, I haven't really like what I've read from Dreamwave that much while I loved Infiltration (haven't started Escalation yet). Then again I haven't finished reading Dreamwave and I also haven't read any of the newer titles from IDW either so...

13. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really liked the ongoing series before Pat Lee ran off with everyone's pay cheque. I felt it was a true G1 reboot, as it mixed both the old cartoon and comics together nicely. Something which I haven't felt from the IDW series yet.

14. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I gave up on them long ago. After 18 issues and nothing going on, I stopped. Which is sad because I like TFs and GIJoe. But I even read issue 1 of the new Joe series and it went nowhere also. So disappointing.

15. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm giving up after All Hail Megatron #16. Just lost interest....

16. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I gave up on IDW after Infiltration. No story and the art was simply uneventful.

17. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Worth a new shot with the new on-going because of the writer. But will probably be pointless as they'll change writers and artists every second issue or, even better, halfway through the issue you're reading.

18. libeskind

libeskind Well-Known Member

Kinda makes you ask, what are the things IDW needs to do to get back readers they're losing due to inconsistent direction?

19. jamiebrayley

jamiebrayley Well-Known Member

I agree on the variant cover problem. I am trying to collect every variation of every transformer comic released by dreamwave and IDW but some are just impossible to find. I am only missing a few Dynamic Forces covers but I fear I will never find them and whilst I have 99% of the comics I still feel aggrieved I cant complete the collection :( 

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Speaking of multiple covers, I only buy one cover, and am picky about doing so (comics aren't the $.75 I used to spend on 'em as a kid, ya know?). The multiple covers have made it nightmarish for me to get the cover I want for the book I want. I tend to enjoy things for what they are once I get them. Getting them has taken away being able to fully enjoy them for me, especially since comics aren't hugely popular in the southern US :(  For the covers, I really wished they'd do a dealer incentive only for the additional covers, and stick to one cover per issue.

Anyways, enough of that . . . Personally, I like the format of an "ongoing" series of miniseries. I'm glad to see DON back to illustrating TFs (Radicons FTW!). I'd like to start to see more artistic variety again (what IDW initially set out to do). I'd also like to see more stories that weren't like Star Wars or Star Trek for Transformers. I understand that Transformers takes place on other planets, but in a lot of respects it seems like Transformers is just another series where they're on one spaceship after another, not exactly "boldly going" elsewhere, but just trying to maintain the order of things. Keep in mind, I'm not wanting to see the space saga stories eliminated, just more of a variety.