Girls, what got you into Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jourdo, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I know that this is a male dominated fandom, but hey... we were/are the target demographic. But what about the ladies? What got you into Transformers initially?

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    prolly starscream.

3. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

Yeah, what do all 6 of you have to say?

:p 

4. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    The debut of the G1 cartoon. Literally hooked from that first 'Millions of years ago...' on. Gee, did you think it'd be something girly? :D 

--Moony

5. Starscream'sSis

Starscream'sSis Ravage! Bad Kitty!

HAHAHHAHAHA NICE! Starscream did not get me into Transformers, but he is probably what kept me going. I honestly cannot remember the first time I was ever introduced to Transformers. I just remember coming home from school in 6th grade and watching it I think around 4pm. Thundercats was just before it (which a good friend of mine loved) and Gi Joe was just after (which I watched a few times but never really got into). Something about it just clicked. I had one (female) friend at school who loved the transformers and we went and saw the movie together. Another friend's brother had the toys, so I played with them a bit. Other than that, no one I knew was into them...it was my own thing.

6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    you guys going to let us answer or what?

For me as I am an animal lover I loved Beast Wars. Also I always had a thing for sports cars. When I was around 7 my brother made a model car it was a cool race car, I loved playing with it. I eventually got my own model kits a Dodge Viper and a Corvette. Even stranger when I was really really younger I can't even remember how old probably first grade my grandparents bought me 2 transformers for when I came over their house to play with, so they were the only 2 toys I had every weekend. They were like horrible knockoffs, but I guess they count. But I don't get any nostilga factor from thinking about playing with them. So mainly it was Beast Wars. After seeing Beast Wars I wanted to see G1. So I went straight for the TFTM '86 and watched all of G1. Then I wanted to see Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory after seeing a few eps of HM I stopped with Headmasters but finished the other 2 series. I watched Cybertron every Friday on Hasbro's site. Then I was told Rodimus was in Energon so I decided to watch that. After that I found RID on youtube and watched all of that. And finally watched Armada as well though it was horrible. lol.

7. Lady_Prime

Lady_Prime Prime's Leading Lady

Ebay:
    I've never been into girly stuff like purses and clothes shopping..the first place I would head to would be the action figure part of the toy section of a department store. My grandmother would get so angry about it and she would try to dress me up in dresses and that mess....

What got me into Transformers was my older brother Joel who, to this day, is still my hero. He had Star Scream and the Insecticons and one day said, "Check this out." I sat down and there was Optimus Prime in all his glory on the Transformers cartoon. That was when I fell in love with Optimus and the Transformers as a whole.....

When the cartoon movie came out, Joel bought the soundtrack and the movie. He told me that it would make me cry..and when Optimus died, boy, did I bawl my ever living head off. I was 17..and then thought, "What if they made a real life action movie about this?? What would it be like.."

And the rest, as you say..is history.

The moment when I first saw Optimus Prime pull up in the theaters the first time I saw TFTM, I bawled just as hard as I did when he died in the cartoon. No matter what you feel about Michael Bay or the designs or whatever, I felt that someone out there was reading my thoughts at 17..and answering my prayers at 37.

Heather

8. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Either that or ultra magnus.

9. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

An ex who collected the same thing as my older brother..So I had previous experience with them, but more importantly, it seemed to work into my OCD of collecting..Which had originally started with cd's and then into dvd's..So there was always time to stop at the toy isle as well as the electronics section. When we split, I took back what was mine, and just continued on..And it's just expanded from there.

10. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

LOL

For the record, there were a LOT more than 6 female fans at Botcon!

11. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I should have totally went to Botcon :cry  I think this will become one of those things you look back on your life on and regret forever... because Botcon will probably never be this close to me again.

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    :useless  :D 

13. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

You think you live close to where the they held Botcon this year, I'm in southern CT, east of New Haven and didn't go.

14. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That's a shame :( 

15. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Heheh - there sure were! And I think *ALL* of the ones that dressed up were female, no less.

*damn dude - that new sig is harsh <g>

But on topic -

I got into TFs cuz I just thought they looked COOL!! And something about Prime just... I dunno... spoke to me. I think cuz that was about the time my Dad was getting me into reading SciFi books, such as Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonriders of Pern" and CJ Cherryh's "Chanur" series. I was... 11, almost 12 when they came out. Good vs Evil, friendship, trust, betrayal gone wrong (SS & Megs)... although 24 yrs later, I can't recall why else I was so hooked on them. Then again, my sis was into He-Man (and Shee-ra) & GI Joe as well as babrie & MLP, and they weren't nearly as cool ;) 

Got into the comics as well, and stuck w/ those through G2. Then into BW/BM, which I appreciated the nods & references to G1, and occasional "older" humor. And anytime there was a whiff of TF comics - to the store I went.

But only recently got back into collecting the toys - after selling my 30+ G1 collection years ago (right around BW resurgence :cry ). I am getting back into collecting, cuz my almost 5 y/o son, LOVES TFs - G1 & Cybertron right now, as well as both movies. I think he'll love BW, if I can ever get them on video to show him.

Now, it's still the same basic elements as when I was a kid, that I love. But as an adult, I can get a more "in-depth" (at times) story, in the comics. But sometimes, a classic story, retold well, will hold up forever.

16. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep sounds about right :p 

17. BumbleBabe

BumbleBabe Banned

my older brother loved the show and was/is an idol of mine... because of this i sorta fell for the nerdy guys and this fandom drew me in....

1st post by the way!! can't wait to enjoy all the boards have to offer... i've been checking them out for some time and finally decidced to join...
    absolutely loved the movie by the way!

18. Shaba

Shaba Decepticon femme TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For me, it was the toys. I remember buying my first ones at someone's yard sale back in 1986. I was in love ever since.

19. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    When Transformers first came out in the eighties, I was a bit too young to fully understand the show, but I still watched it anyway. Then, a few years later, my dad took me to Blockbuster to get some videos and he instantly picked up an old VHS of G1 cartoon episodes. I watched it often and wanted the figures. Unfortunately, my mother flat out refused to get my anything related to a boy toy and instead kept getting me mass amounts of My Little Ponies and Barbie dolls. When my dad did get me Transformers, they were actually Go Bots found at either yard sales or thrift stores. Since my family had no money, I took these toys and just pretended they were the Transformers I loved from the original VHS tapes.

Fast forward to the time during RID. I just started dating Kevin and it was my first Christmas I was spending with his family. His little nephew, I think four at the time got RID Prowl for Christmas. Obviously he didn't care about it and chucked it to the side. I instantly picked it up and the memories came flooding back. I remembered the times my mother kept saying no to me because I was girl. So, in a way to get back I began to get the RID figures. She was obviously mad and couldn't understand why a 20 year old would buy Transformers. Then, as the years passed I began to really love everything about the Transformers. What started as a way to get back on my mother soon turned into a passion.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Welcome! GREAT screen name! :lol 

I told you you'd regret not going! I said so before Botcon!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.