Gimlet - Japanese Beast Wars Anniversary Reissue

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by payres, Aug 31, 2007.

1. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No pictures of the actual toy, but if you look on TFU.info at http://www.tfu.info/1998/Cybertron/Gimlet/gimlet.htm here's the original Gimlet

Gimlet is a repaint of Sea Clamp ( http://www.tfu.info/1997/Predacon/SeaClamp/seaclamp.htm ) part of Tripredicus. In the west as Sea Clamp he was a Predacon, in Japan as Gimlet a Maximal but this new version is a Predacon again. Since Ram Horn (Motor Arm) is coming out as a Maximal next we will call this "Reason number 1 that we doubt all of Tripredicus will be reissued"

As you can see Sea Clamp was originally clear brown/purpleish with purple limbs. I was never much taken with him. Gimlet was bright red with dark grey limbs. With this release we learn that the arms and legs of this toy are on different parts trees as the upper arms are still dark grey but the upper legs are now silver. Personally I think Gimlet looks much better in red (I somehow associate this colour more with Lobsters) and this release adds some patterning to the shell. See My Repaint Article - http://uk.geocities.com/philip_ayres@btopenworld.com/Repaints.html - rules 3 & 4 are in place.

The lobster mode has universal jointed shoulders and first elbows with the second elbow bending in and out. The claws open up, and the larger outer claw contains a nifty little cerated blade which swings out. The antennae are adjustable up and down.

TF: Swing the tail round 180 degrees exposing the legs. Unpeg the legs and swivel each leg so the outside half is facing up. The space behind the legs should house the missile launcher for Tripredicus. It doesn't ("Reason number 2 that we doubt all of Tripredicus will be reissued") I can't see it pictured on the instructions, which in turn don't contain combining instructions ("Reason number 3 that we doubt all of Tripredicus will be reissued")

Has anyone else got the words "Rescue Force" going round in their heads yet ?

Back to the TF: Separate the lobster head and swing to the sides and down to form the arms. Swing the head halves up 90 degrees so the head halves are to the front, upright and looking out to the sides - the silver patch in the middle of the robot chest should face forward. Fold the lobster legs up behind the lobster head shoulder pads. Fold the arms down, open the claws and fold out the knives. Pull the chest down, flip up the head and close the chest.

Robot mode - and you thought the lobster looked good ? He's stunning in robot mode ! Colours working well together, with the knives painted silver it does make him look armed. Blows Sea Clamp away. Bending feet and heel spurs, ball jointed knees and hips, a waist. Ball jointed inner shoulders and elbows, universal outer shoulders, bendable wrists, posable claws and ball jointed head. Lots of new silver paint over original Gimlet.

Overall: Honestly ? Best Japanese BW re-release IMO. Blows out Western Sea Clamp out the water. Looks a decent improvement on the BWII Gimlet. You need to get this.

2. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He's a cooked lobster (ZOMG ZOMBIE LOBSTER), while Sea Clamp is alive. :)  I've always liked the red for the individual bot, but I think Sea Clamp's colors look better in Tripredacus form.

Shame about the lack of Tripredacus bits -- an odd decision to rerelease 2 of the 3.

Oh, and :useless . :p 

But thanks for the review!

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's REALLY odd not to reissue a third of a combiner.

I think I'll pass and wait for Drancron.

4. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

yoyu would think that if they were only going to release 2 components, they would release 2 that can combind, i.e. gimlet and ciciadon, with which you can have an 'armless tripredacus. anyway, ciciadon beasts up motorarms kibbly ass any day of the week :lol 

5. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't you need Motor Arm(Ram Horn) between Gimlet (Sea Clamp) and DJ (Cicadon) ? Consults http://www.tfu.info/1997/Predacon/Tripredacus/tripredacus.htm

No ! I've had a Sea Clamp and Cicadon on my desk for a month and never combined them.....

..... but it's amazing how quickly the memory of what a nightmare this toy was to combine comes back ! Too many poeky stickey out bits, trying to get the posts and slots to line up. And glutton for punishment I've just done it for a 2nd time substituyting Gimlet for Sea Clamp. Tripredicus (armless) looks good in red trousers

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

I was just gonna say... is there such thing as a live red lobster?

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    So, is there any metallic paint on this one like the rest of the reissues? I know the rest have some metallic paint on their robot mode parts but since most of this guy's robot mode is also his beast mode is it all matt?

8. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's a lovely metallic silver for the thighs, hips, shin details, and claw-weapons. Other bits here and there too.