Gift set or individual packaging - what do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nightscream, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    I have noticed that gift set combiners usually sell for more than individually packed ones, I assume it is for their rarity. If you could only choose one variant for your collection, which would it be, and why?

I prefer individual packaging myself. Although a big box is nce, I feel that it dilutes the characters contained somewhat. For me, perhaps the biggest reason for collecting a given figure is that I want a powerful representation of the character in question. When I hold a MoC dead end in my hand, I see the entire figure and all the accessories and paperwork through the bubble, I get a large piece of character artwork on the front, and the instructions on the back. It feels like an ultimate representation of the character, not just another piece in a gift set.

2. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've only got JRX set :lol  but I'll chime in.

I wish I had Team Shinkansen indivisually, because;

I didn't keep the box anyway. I even gave away that gigantic instruction sheet.
    As characters I liked them better as a team than a combined bot.
    I'd have had 3 tech spec cards instead of 1.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    GIFTSET!!!!!!

I pass on so many combiners because I can only find most of it.

4. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't have any giftsets, but I'd like to. I've thought about going after the Energon ones for fun. Although one low priority long term goal is get Bruticus in seperate Japanese boxes. Not sure why, but for that one I just want them individual. Cheaper for one...

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I don't have any giftsets, but I doubt I'd really clamor after them. I'm fine with individual releases...although giftsets do make it easier to get the entire package at once and not risk not finding one piece. If I was ever to come into a VERY large sum of money I wouldn't mind having a G1 Devestator or Menasor Giftset though. They look mighty impressive on display.

6. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Individual hands down. Giftsets now o days are just to expensive.

7. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I prefer the giftsets for G1. Because I keep all the packaging, its easier to store, open and put away when done. Plus, the G1 giftsets included the combiner's tech-spec...which you couldn't get from the individual packages.

8. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Giftsets FTW!

You save money and agrivation trying to find other figures, particularly when it comes to combiners.

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Giftsets..

10. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    IMO Giftsets, the graphics on the box are usually much better than the individual ones.
    MegaMus

11. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Down to personal preference, it depends on which you think looks better;

10X $10 bills, or one $100 bill.

I'd go with the $100

12. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Id go for Giftset. It just saves the trouble of hunting down each individual figure, and possibly paying seperate shipping. That and there is less packaging to put in storage and wreck or loose. But its a really close decision, Id have a hard time making the choice.

13. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    just to clarify - I mean what do you prefer on display. Let's say the figures aren't worth anything, and somebody offers you a MoSC Devastator or a MiSB Devastator.

14. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Giftset. I just fundamentally prefer a rectangular box with windows for the bots than individual cards with bubbles. Easier to display and more aesthetically pleasing. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that, unlike GIJoe and SW, most TFs came in boxes, not cards. Giftsets just "fit in" better IMO.

15. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    As far as G1 goes I like the Giftsets better, there was just a mistuque about them when I was a kid, I only had the Superion one and I wanted them all

16. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Giftsets! I love 'em. I only have one original G1 and it's Devastator. I love the box art of Dev on the box...much more intimidating and ominous than that a single (or multiple) MOC. I got him a long time ago and I won't drop the cash that giftsets are fetching nowadays. I have all the G1 combiners already (I don't count Monstructor)
    I also have the reissue Predaking, but without windows, it's not as great...I still love it and all, but I like being able to see inside.

17. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Individual for me. Though in a perfect world I could afford both.

18. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Giftset! I really hate hunting down individual combiner figures, much prefer getting everything all at once, instead of one by one. Plus I like having everything all in 1 package, makes everything a lot more neat and simple. Having said this though combiners like Victory Saber and Sonic Convoy etc... and similar 2-3 figure combo's I dont have as strong an opinion. Still prefer the set on guys like these but I dont mind buying them individually when push comes to shove. But 5-6 Gestalt's no questions, giftset all the way.

19. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Giftsets are waaay better. Whats withpeople saying they are so much more expensive? Mabey if you buy them loose and thats it but if you buy them mib/moc they work out tot he same or more...You just have to find good deals. The most I have paid was around $300 cdn and that got me a superion and a defensor, Abominus cost me $300 aswell...I am just missing menasor devastator and bruticus for the jpn boxd sets.

20. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I got the giftsets for 2 of the 3 Energon Combiners just because A) I wanted them sooner and B) I felt the additional cost was equal to the amount of driving around I'd have to do in a semi-weekly attempt to find all the pieces. (I eventually ended up following that same practice with a big order from BBTS to finish up the Energon line).

In retrospect, I'm glad to have them in that way, because they look pretty sweet when put back in their box and can actually display pretty nicely.

I also bought the Korean issue of the JRX, just because it was after their initial release and I decided I wanted them. They're also safe and snug in their box.